Be A GM Thread - NHL16 EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbiz

Sep 23, 2015
My rules I use for playing a "rebuild" in GM mode

I've come up with some rules I've been using since NHL 14 with how I make the Be A GM Mode more realistic on the older gen. Going to buy an Xbox One and NHL 16 so I can implement this on the new gen with the new morale system as well. Should be fun!

Last edited:

Jbiz

Sep 23, 2015
The RULES I use for a "rebuild" GM

Trading:

1. Cannot make trades that are unrealistic and would never happen in the NHL.
2. At trade deadline you can only trade roster players to teams in the top 16 if you are in the bottom 10.
3. At trade deadline you must acquire 1 roster player (rating 82-85 UFA-rental) from a bottom 10 team for assets (picks/prospects) to bolster your team if you are in a playoff run.
4. At trade deadline if you are in the 13-20th ranking (just in the playoff bubble) you can tinker, but must not sell the farm or your roster players. (Hockey trade ex. 82 for 82 ovr)
5. Can’t propose trades during the year unless team offers trade first. (Doesn’t count for trade deadline, draft or counter offer since they opened up negotiations etc.)
6. Trade block years 1 through 3 are set at wants for F, D and G at 17-25 years old 3 – 5 stars/green potential. (In a rebuild you need assets under 25.) In year 4 and 5 it’s about positional needs/wants

Drafting:

1. In years 1 through 3, you must draft your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft choices.
2. Cannot draft more than 2 first round picks, 3 second round picks, and 3 third round picks in one draft. (Trade up using addition picks, or trade down for addition lower round picks)
3. Must draft for positional needs in 2nd and 3rd round (If you need LW, draft LW)
4. In years 4-5 can trade any draft picks.

Resign Phase

1. Can’t resign UFA’s that you did not personally draft or sign, unless it’s a franchise player. (new regime, out with the old in with your guys)
2. RFA’s can only be resigned until age 25 (make or break years) to “crack” the roster. If not, move on from them as they are not part of your rebuild moving forward.
3. Can only sign UFA’s in the Free Agency Market if they have other NHL teams interested in their services.
4. Can only offer UFA’s in Free Agency Market 10%+ what they are asking for. Must accept their term.
5. Can only resign RFA’s to 1way contract if its 2 year bridge (rebuild, must be cap friendly).
6. Must resign all players to nearest 100K

Waivers

1. Can only make 1 waiver wire claim per year.
2. If you have a player that will have to pass through waivers, you must keep them in NHL or trade them for an asset if you must put them through. (only smart rebuild)

AHL

1. Must have 12 ELC’s on the roster at 1 time. (adjusting AHL veterans rule – goalies are exempt)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Am I the only one here that enjoys the fantasy draft, you're all just picking teams to rebuild. Maybe I should try that next

sidneythekidney

Jan 20, 2014
Karlshamn
I wanted to do something...weird, until the remaining rookies and Russian players was added to the game.
And then start a more "serious" be a gm.

I decided to blow up the Penguins roster, and this is what i got:

mcdavid-crosby-kessel
gaudreau-monahan-hornqvist
bennett-scheifele-stone
dupuis-bonino-fehr

maatta-trouba
murray-ceci
pouliot-franson

gibson
fast

I haven’t started the simulation yet tho, will start it tonight.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I wanted to do something...weird, until the remaining rookies and Russian players was added to the game.
And then start a more "serious" be a gm.

I decided to blow up the Penguins roster, and this is what i got:

mcdavid-crosby-kessel
gaudreau-monahan-hornqvist
bennett-scheifele-stone
dupuis-bonino-fehr

maatta-trouba
murray-ceci
pouliot-franson

gibson
fast

I haven’t started the simulation yet tho, will start it tonight.

Who the hell is your backup? I can't think of any goalie with a last name of Fast.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Quick tip from someone who's already simmed through 2 seasons with the Leafs and won a cup...morale is EVERYTHING.

Yeah... I made the playoffs in year 2 of my Arizonna GM Mode only because our team's morale was at like... 89% and still trending up. Our team wasn't even that good.(We had 80's all around but we didn't have any player over 87 overall other than OEL....oh and Frederik Andersen)

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Yeah... I made the playoffs in year 2 of my Arizonna GM Mode only because our team's morale was at like... 89% and still trending up. Our team wasn't even that good.(We had 80's all around but we didn't have any player over 87 overall other than OEL....oh and Frederik Andersen)
So pretty much the Sens like last year... lol. Karlsson and their goaltending...

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
lol.... pretty much. My best forward had like... 46 points(Boedker). OEL had around... 80 points? he might have been PPG if I remember correctly........will check his stats later today.
I dont have a problem with surprise teams making it... nobody expected Ottawa to win like 20/25 or the Flames to make the playoffs... or the Sharks to be that bad.

i do however have a problem with the best team in the league losing by 5 goals to the worst :laugh:

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I dont have a problem with surprise teams making it... nobody expected Ottawa to win like 20/25 or the Flames to make the playoffs... or the Sharks to be that bad.

i do however have a problem with the best team in the league losing by 5 goals to the worst :laugh:

Couldn't have said this better myself. :laugh:

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
When you have an amazing team that just won two stanley cups in a row, and 3 in 5 years. And yes, I created myself. He was originally 80 overall with Top 6 F Med potential. Turned out pretty well.

Gaudreau (90)-Monahan (90)-Bennett (89)
Poirier (88)-Matthews (90)-[My Last Name] (88)
Helm (85)-Eakin (85)-Merkley (84)
Ferland (82)-Green (83)-Smith (82)

Giordano (88)-Hamilton (95)
Brodie (87)-Myers (87)
Gudbranson (84)-Andersson (85)

Gillies (92)
McDonald (85)

Hamilton's contract is up this year. Gonna be a doozy.

Major contracts:

Sean Monahan: $6.3M for 7 years
Johnny Gaudreau: $6.3M for 7 years
Jon Gillies: $6.1M for 2 years
Dougie Hamilton: $5.8M for 1 year
Auston Matthews: $5.8M for 4 years
Chris [Last Name]: $5.5M for 4 years
Sam Bennett: $5M for 4 years
Tyler Myers: $5M for 2 years
Emile Poirier: $4.8M for 1 year
TJ Brodie: $4.8M for 4 years
Mark Giordano: $4.7M for 1 year

Cap is $81M. I'm right against it. 

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I miss not being able to stort the enitre league through the trade block like on legacy games.

I used to get all the best defensive fowards and defenders. All Grinders two ways power fowards and defensive defense men or two way defense men.

Than throw an all star goalie in net and a great starter as the back up.

I would always be like 10m under cap since Besides my centers I had no super stars.

I would score the least amount of points in the league but i would also let nothing in net. I would win every game 1-0 or lose 0-1 haha. I won like 8 cups in 10 years because no one could score. I simmed everything. it was a blast.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Just starting year 4 of my BeAGM. Yes, salary cap is on lol

Hall(92)-Giroux(93)-Tarasenko(92)
Landeskog(89)-Laughton(94)-Julien Gauthier (87)
Raffl(82)-Cousins(83)-Konecny(84)
Kenins(82)-D. Shore(81)-White(82)

Provorov(91)-Hedman(91)
Sanheim(90)-Ghost(88)
Hagg(85)-Morin(84)

Mason(91)
Visentin(84)

Looking for my 4th straight cup!

Transactions at the time:
1. Simmonds(87, now 89), Gettinger (just drafted, 71 3 yrs later), Paquin-Boudreau(78 3 yrs later), Gagner (83, still 83) for Hall (91, now 92)
2. B. Schenn (85, now 86), Stolarz (69, now 83), Aube Kubel (then 70, now 83), Goligoski (85) for Landeskog (89)
3. Voracek (91), 2021 2nd, 2019, 2020 3rd, 2019 6th for Tarasenko (92). Voracek was actually a locker room cancer... team chemistry went up 2 percent from 90 to 92.
4. Kenins/Shore/Hedman/Visentin were all FA signings. Goligoski and Nyquist were too (they then got traded due to cap and younger players extremely progressing)

Last edited:

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Ive quickly found out that player progression is absolutely asinine... its out of control lol... before franchise/elite green meant like 92-95 which is ok but now theres like 5 99's... and counting...
Like Scott freaking Laughton is 94 overall... and he was green top 6 potential starting... now green franchise...

A Calgary Flames Fan

Jun 13, 2011
Calgary
:flames
Flames bring back Glencross, trade away Jones and Smid.

The Calgary Flames and current GM Jay Morrison announced that they have signed Curtis Glencross to a 1 year deal worth 3.5 million dollars. They also dumped the contracts of David Jones and Latislav Smid to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for Adam Pardy and a 4th round pick. The Flames retained 50% of Smid's salary. Here's the Flames projected lineup for the 2015-16 Season

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Glencross-Stajan-Colborne
Raymond-Jooris-Ferland

Giordano-Brodie
Hamilton-Russell
Wideman-Pardy

Hiller
Ramo

The Flames have also reportedly offered tryouts to Anton Volchenkov and Scottie Upshall.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
on my second season with the Jets. Current lineup. Made some significant moves in the first season which resulted in a few players demanding trades.....

currently 5-3 in the second season. AI scores every 3 shots.....so annoying and becomes a race.

Ladd Mcdavid Ehlers
Reiter Petan Lowry
Armia Perreault Stafford
Lipon Burmi Kosmachuk

Myers Buff
Morrissey Trouba
Chiarot Postma

Hutch
Helly

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Decided to mess around with the Carolina Hurricanes a bit, it's a little more interesting because of the morale system, but it really gives you an advantage. Anyways, here's my line-up at the end of the 2018 season just before the playoffs. (Yes, we made the playoffs, 51-25-5)

Boedker 86 - Galchenyuk 91 - Skinner 86
Kolesnik 82 - Rask 83 - Lindholm 84
McMillan 83 - Helm 84 - Gauthier 82
Bournival 81 - Mitchell 81 - Nestrasil 80

Fleury 88 - Faulk 89
Yandle 87 - Murphy 86
Russell 85 - Lowe 79

Booth 87
Lack 85

HS: Terry 79, Jordan 78

Packfan1022

Oct 15, 2014
USA
I'm sorry it took so long, internet has been GARBAGE! Here is PART 2 of my Islanders GM Log!

Boyes Experient Fails, Hickey Wants Out
In a terrible turn of events, Brad Boyes and Thomas Hickey each wanted out of Brooklyn after being called “poison†to the locker room by teammate Nikolay Kulemin. They were granted their leave, Hickey being traded to Ottawa for Defenseman Mark Borowiecki and a 6th Round Pick, and Boyes moved to Montreal for a 3rd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick. Center Jim Slater was signed to replace Boyes. When asked about the trades he was forced to make, GM Greg Snow said, in a harsh tone, “Nikolay had expressed to me his feelings, but the dummy didn’t have to go out and destroy our team chemistry by expressing these feelings to the media.†From Newsday, I’m Pack Fan.

Islanders Finish First Two Months in Brooklyn with 14-9-2 Record
After a somewhat slow start and a frustrating incident that led to the trade of Thomas Hickey and Brad Boyes, the Islanders end off their first two months at the Barclays Center 14-9-2. “The team has begun to gel well since the incident, and it sure has shown,†said third line winger Steve Bernier. “I’ve enjoyed it here, the facility is nice, the guys are great, and our success has just begun.†The Islanders next game is a crucial battle with the hated, inter-city rival Rangers. From Newsday, I’m Pack Fan.

Poulin Claimed By Lightning
AHL Starting Goalie Kevin Poulin was claimed by the Tampa Bay Lightning after an emergency call up due to an injury to backup goaltender Tomas Greiss. Poulin, in his two starts, was 2-0 with a .50 GAA, .980 save %, and a shutout. New York was forced to waive him or 7th defenseman Mark Borowieki after Greiss and others returned. From Newsday, I’m Pack Fan.

Zero

Dec 1, 2003
Arizona
I did them last year. Took 4 years to get good since even though my best player was an 82 over all i was still makeing it to the play offs and my picks sucked because of it. But through some decent pick ups in free agency I eventually put a real respectable team on the ice.

I for the life of me cant figure out that when i try and tank and ice a joke of a team they limp on into the play offs but if i build a monster team they struggle to get 40 wins.

Seemed like they fixed that in '14, but this year the Blackhawks and Ducks were the two worst teams in my league for a while (somehow the Ducks squeaked into the playoffs). NCAA and Madden had the same issues when I played those years ago.

The playoffs tend to be ridiculous, too... averaged 3gf/2.5ga with the Jets in the regular season and I'm at 4.8/2 six games into the playoffs. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad