Salary Cap: Be a GM Mode | Is it October yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure what his exact wording was (signing/acquisition etc), but being comfortable with going into the season with what he has and resolving to stand pat because he wants to see what he has in camp (what Honour Over Glory suggested) are two different things.

One has him considering different options, and the other has him passively waiting for the season to start.

True.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wasn't expecting Butcher to come here. Better options for playing time.

I don't think he'll spend much if any time in the NHL this year. Most people who've seen him play all say the same thing... at least a year away (if not more) from being NHL ready.

As for whether he'd sign here... I never really get my hopes up. And thus while it would be nice if he does, it's not a big deal either way. Although you'd think that with the success we've had with blueliners over the past 5 years, not to mention our NHL success, that we'd be near the top for a young guy like that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think he'll spend much if any time in the NHL this year. Most people who've seen him play all say the same thing... at least a year away (if not more) from being NHL ready.

As for whether he'd sign here... I never really get my hopes up. And thus while it would be nice if he does, it's not a big deal either way. Although you'd think that with the success we've had with blueliners over the past 5 years, not to mention our NHL success, that we'd be near the top for a young guy like that.

I didn't mean just in the NHL. Assuming everyone is healthy, I think we have a large number of potential AHl defensemen as well. He'd have competition to play in Wilkes Barre

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
JR's been pretty explicit about what he's doing:

"There's a couple of guys I could acquire right now," Rutherford said. "I feel like there's another group of guys that could possibly be available here soon. Kind of just waiting to see if that happens. Something could happen in the very near future or this could drag on for a little while."

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-may-look-to-trade-for-third-liner/c-290695902

He's waiting for a targeted guy to shake loose, and if he doesn't, he's got fallbacks. So it's not that he's waiting to see what he has in camp.

On the other hand, he may be waiting for other GMs to see what they have in camp. Most teams aren't going to have anyone shake loose before camp starts at this point. Rutherford may have some players in mind that would be at risk of going on waivers if someone pushes to take their spot in the lineup. Or he may even be targeting prospects who have run out of waiver exemption for that matter. Until a team knows which players they plan on keeping, they may not be ready to pull the trigger on a deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh no, a mediocre D prospect that was a long shot to be a NHLer didn't pick us. Oh no :laugh:

I've heard almost nothing flattering about Butcher from people who have seen him, the only real value as a prospect he brought was being free. I genuinely don't know if he's a better D prospect than say Jeff Taylor.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Damn, no Ethan Prow, Jr. for us. However will we survive :sarcasm:

I like that comparison more than the Jeff Taylor one :laugh:

From what I've read about Butcher, he's an undersized OFD who doesn't skate well and isn't strong defensively that played on a powerhouse college team. The fact that he won the Hobey Baker is just flat out laughable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know how Botterill signing Butcher suddenly means he's giving the middle finger to the Penguins or the Penguins aren't a destination for college free agents anymore. That article is hilarious though, "powerful fast skating defenseman" is flat out not Butcher :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Geez if I didn't know any better, I'd say some of you are scouts that have watched Butcher extensively. It's not a big deal if the Pens miss out on signing a free prospect, but I find it funny how some are talking down on the kid before he even steps on the ice for a professional game.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Geez if I didn't know any better, I'd say some of you are scouts that have watched Butcher extensively. It's not a big deal if the Pens miss out on signing a free prospect, but I find it funny how some are talking down on the kid before he even steps on the ice for a professional game.

Have you ever read this board before? Many posters here praise prospects without actually watching them. That is pretty standard around these parts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I have genuinely not heard a scouting report that has more positives than negatives from what I've read about Butcher. Maybe it's just Avs fans mad he's going elsewhere, but Avs fans universally roast him for being an undersized defenseman with D issues that can't skate well.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

From what I've read about Butcher, he's an undersized OFD who doesn't skate well and isn't strong defensively that played on a powerhouse college team. The fact that he won the Hobey Baker is just flat out laughable.

Sounds a lot like Pouliot right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sounds a lot like Pouliot right now.

Pouliot isn't undersized and I wouldn't say his skating is problematic, at least compared to what people are saying about Butcher. But I guess you could draw that comparison, except Pouliot is just a lot better version of Butcher.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
What do they list Pou at, 5'11? I think that's pretty generous. And skating is absolutely an issue for Pou.. probably his biggest. Plus playing for then powerhouse Portland definitely inflated his stats.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What do they list Pou at, 5'11? I think that's pretty generous. And skating is absolutely an issue for Pou.. probably his biggest. Plus playing for then powerhouse Portland definitely inflated his stats.

I thought Pouliot was like 6'0" and 208 lbs, that's what he's listed at. Pouliot was a legitimately good prospect, while he did play for a powerhouse team he was a good prospect. He was a legitimately good prospect until last season.

I think if you assume Butcher is a very lite beer version of Pouliot, you can make that comparison. I think Pouliot's issue is more of a "tools but no toolbox" problem, I don't think it's the same way with Butcher.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I have a friend in New Hampshire that follows NCAA closely given how close he is to a lot of great teams. He went to Dartmouth and although he loves Tanner Glass because he knows him, I trust his judgement. He says Butcher winning over Mike Vecchioni was a shame. He though ZAR deserved it more over Butcher. He had him at 6th-7th out of the finalists.

Cool if we get him because free prospects are fun and it's summer and there's nothing else to do...but my buddy says zero loss if you don't get him. He doubts he will play a single nhl game.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Pens-Not-Mightier-Than-Swords/6/86998

Botterill giving us the middle finger ?
Who knows if he'll be great but the loss of Botterill mean we aren't as good a destination for college free agents any more....

What a dumb article, that guy must be the Ryan Wilson of the Buffalo Sabres.

Hes basically giving Botterill all the credit for all the pens college players which isn't true.

ZAR had a good relationship with Guerin.

We just signed Adam Johnson a couple months ago.

I highly doubt Butcher picking another team has anything to do with Botterill, he might go to Buffalo, but that would probably be because of opportunity and Housley, he played for Housley during one of the USA hockey tournaments.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I thought Pouliot was like 6'0" and 208 lbs, that's what he's listed at. Pouliot was a legitimately good prospect, while he did play for a powerhouse team he was a good prospect. He was a legitimately good prospect until last season.

I think if you assume Butcher is a very lite beer version of Pouliot, you can make that comparison. I think Pouliot's issue is more of a "tools but no toolbox" problem, I don't think it's the same way with Butcher.

The 208 part sounds accurate - which may be a cause of the poor skating. I think that's the big issue to me. Maybe he never reaches his potential offensively but his lack of skating really prevents him, I feel, from being able to have that confidence in his offensive abilities. And further exacerbates his already average defense.

Anyways I'm moreso comparing Butcher to Pouliot NOW not Pouliot the 18 year old prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino