Salary Cap: Be a GM Mode | Is it October yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People act like there's a boat load of time, when there really isn't when camp opens up in a month or so. There hasn't been a ton of movement in the last few weeks if any outside of some stragglers with RFA Arbitration.

IF Jr wants to see what he has in camp, cool, I just wish they'd say that.

JR's been pretty explicit about what he's doing:

"There's a couple of guys I could acquire right now," Rutherford said. "I feel like there's another group of guys that could possibly be available here soon. Kind of just waiting to see if that happens. Something could happen in the very near future or this could drag on for a little while."

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-may-look-to-trade-for-third-liner/c-290695902

He's waiting for a targeted guy to shake loose, and if he doesn't, he's got fallbacks. So it's not that he's waiting to see what he has in camp.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A big question might be if Butcher is signed, does that make a roster D expendable in the search for a 3C?

Not even close. I mean who on the D would you think that Butcher could replace? Hunwick? Cole? Because anyone else, and they're going to be miles ahead of him. WB will be a nice signing for anyone (whomever gets him), but he's probably 2+ years away from being an NHLer - if he ever becomes one. Free is free and all that... but he's nowhere close to being able to replace anyone we have here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

"There's a couple of guys I could acquire right now," Rutherford said. "I feel like there's another group of guys that could possibly be available here soon. Kind of just waiting to see if that happens. Something could happen in the very near future or this could drag on for a little while."

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-may-look-to-trade-for-third-liner/c-290695902

He's waiting for a targeted guy to shake loose, and if he doesn't, he's got fallbacks. So it's not that he's waiting to see what he has in camp.

Yeah, I don't get why people are freaking out about the 3C when JR has said a bunch of times that he has the ability to trade for a 3C currently, but he's just waiting to get a bigger fish. It's not like JR has nothing available, he has something in his back pocket as a fallback option and then is trying to find someone better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

But it's already late August! Stanley Cups are won or lost based on who has the best roster in the summer time!

:scared:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well if the Devils sign him over Pittsburgh, you can assume that some assurances were made to the kid. No way we could make that promise.

:laugh: the main board is freaking out because Butcher was seen rolling through the airport recently with a Sabres bag. More analysis required than for climate change models.....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I don't get why people are freaking out about the 3C when JR has said a bunch of times that he has the ability to trade for a 3C currently, but he's just waiting to get a bigger fish. It's not like JR has nothing available, he has something in his back pocket as a fallback option and then is trying to find someone better.

But it's already late August! Stanley Cups are won or lost based on who has the best roster in the summer time!

:scared:

Yeah haha.

I get that we want this thing solved, especially after Cullen signed elsewhere. But this idea that we're all out of options and there's a real chance we go into the season without adding anyone at center is unfounded and completely contrary to what Rutherford has gone out of his way to make known.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Everyone can play center!! ZAR, Jake, Wilson, etc. they all played center in college!

I can play center! but does anyone really want me to......I think not.
edit; this reminds me of a conversion I had with my coach many times and many years ago. his response was "get back on d" :dunno:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah haha.

I get that we want this thing solved, especially after Cullen signed elsewhere. But this idea that we're all out of options and there's a real chance we go into the season without adding anyone at center is unfounded and completely contrary to what Rutherford has gone out of his way to make known.

Rutherford has said he's comfortable going into next season without a signing if need be, no?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Bluger could come in as 4C and look fine and be better than Rowney, Really like him as a prospect. Hope he has a great camp and makes the team over Rowney.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rutherford has said he's comfortable going into next season without a signing if need be, no?

I'm not sure what his exact wording was (signing/acquisition etc), but being comfortable with going into the season with what he has and resolving to stand pat because he wants to see what he has in camp (what Honour Over Glory suggested) are two different things.

One has him considering different options, and the other has him passively waiting for the season to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad