Salary Cap: Be a GM Mode | Is it October yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wish this **** was over with already.

I'm at the point where i'll say, whats the hurry?
JR and Sully deserve enough time to figure it out.
No need to sign a 29 yr old, mega shot blocking/non-Wow'ing offensively Bones to over 4M for 4yrs imo.
That was absolutely the right move cuz that could easily/very likely turn into an anchor contract.

JR's keeping the "i can get this guy right now" list and the "i really want these guys" list up to date. He and Sully are searching for 1 key position of need atm. Let's enjoy these back to back Cups. :yo:

ETA: I only think about trading Phil if Sprong becomes a stud.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I can't see JR trading for a guy older than our core. Maybe they would have considered signing a guy for a short term run at it in FA, ala a Thornton for a year. But there's no way we're sending out major assets for a player on the wrong side of 30. It will either end up being a stud like Duchene, or a Lindberg or W. Karlsson type player who they feel is on the upswing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
My guess is Rutherford's "Adequate" trade is someone who could be brought in without salary going out, so Eakin's contract would be too rich. My guess now would be Lindberg or Sheahan. Not sure who's on Rutherford's "Impact" list, other than probably Duchene.

True. At least I hope so.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Is Kessel going to be the new Hornqvist for undervalued player we want to trade?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People act like there's a boat load of time, when there really isn't when camp opens up in a month or so. There hasn't been a ton of movement in the last few weeks if any outside of some stragglers with RFA Arbitration.

IF Jr wants to see what he has in camp, cool, I just wish they'd say that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
People act like there's a boat load of time, when there really isn't when camp opens up in a month or so. There hasn't been a ton of movement in the last few weeks if any outside of some stragglers with RFA Arbitration.

IF Jr wants to see what he has in camp, cool, I just wish they'd say that.

He doesn't. The prices are too high for the players he wants. He probably knows he's going to be reamed by this board if he either overpays or he gets a **** poor player so he's between a rock and a hard place. So he'd rather just frustrate the hell out of us. :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pretty sure Benn was his most common linemate last season with 400 ES minutes. He played a similar amount with him the year before as well... which would suggest that JB would have been at least in the top 2 for forwards with Eakin.

That's why I was talking about prior to last season. In 2015-16, Eakin's most common linemates were Roussel (469:58) and Sharp (324:12). Benn played 278:55 with him. In 2014-15, Roussel was once again his most common linemate (573:22), with Garbutt second (563:55). Benn played 270:40 with him. Prior to this year, Benn wasn't his most common linemate.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kessel for Pavelski? big nope from me, he just turned 33 and Kessel is only 29 and he's much much slower than Kessel.

Kessel is turning 30 in a couple months. If you asked me which player's game is more conducive to production well into their thirties, it's Pavelski. Plus he gives you value when he's not scoring. I don't see him having a shorter contract as a downside. We should be re-evaluating who to keep/pay in two years. Our best chance to win is the next two years while we have the kids on the cheap and the core in their prime.

I see us moving on from Phil at some point in the not so distant future if we bring in an impact 3C and/or Sprong develops. Just my opinion. Got nothing but love for the Phil. He sticks around for awhile, I'm down.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's why I was talking about prior to last season. In 2015-16, Eakin's most common linemates were Roussel (469:58) and Sharp (324:12). Benn played 278:55 with him. In 2014-15, Roussel was once again his most common linemate (573:22), with Garbutt second (563:55). Benn played 270:40 with him. Prior to this year, Benn wasn't his most common linemate.

Odd. For some reason I thought he spent a significant amount of time with Benn in 15-16.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kessel is turning 30 in a couple months. If you asked me which player's game is more conducive to production well into their thirties, it's Pavelski. Plus he gives you value when he's not scoring. I don't see him having a shorter contract as a downside. We should be re-evaluating who to keep/pay in two years. Our best chance to win is the next two years while we have the kids on the cheap and the core in their prime.

I see us moving on from Phil at some point in the not so distant future if we bring in an impact 3C and/or Sprong develops. Just my opinion. Got nothing but love for the Phil. He sticks around for awhile, I'm down.

I think Kessel's a better fit if the Pens run a 3-line setup again, because I think Kessel's better able to carry a line than Pavelski is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Kessel's a better fit if the Pens run a 3-line setup again, because I think Kessel's better able to carry a line than Pavelski is.

Agreed. I think Pavs would need a lot more support then what Kessel would need to produce a line with the same effectiveness.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A big question might be if Butcher is signed, does that make a roster D expendable in the search for a 3C?

Almost definitely not. I don't think I've heard even his biggest fans describe him as NHL ready and this is an organisation that prefers to send all the NHL ready kids to the AHL first anyway.

Not to mention the fact that the Pens do currently have 8 roster dmen anyway. They trade a guy, they're still full. Another "might he" guy doesn't change the maths at all there.

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
Nope, he definitely needs a season in the AHL.

Maybe he needs a year, but other teams might guarantee him a roster spot. And the question wasn't whether or not Butcher would be NHL ready, rather is depth bolstered enough at LD that you don't feel bad in letting go of a roster D to bring in a high calibre center if for just one year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe he needs a year, but other teams might guarantee him a roster spot. And the question wasn't whether or not Butcher would be NHL ready, rather is depth bolstered enough at LD that you don't feel bad in letting go of a roster D to bring in a high calibre center if for just one year.

But that's my (and others) answer. If he's not NHL ready, then he does not bolster our NHL depth, so it doesn't change minds on whether we should let go of a Dman in a trade.

Plus, if he wants a guaranteed roster spot, then fair enough and good luck to him elsewhere. If Aston-Reese didn't get one from us, then neither is Butcher getting one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You flat out don't guarantee a NHL spot to a guy who's not even close to NHL ready. I'd rather not have Butcher than guarantee him a NHL spot.

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
Well if the Devils sign him over Pittsburgh, you can assume that some assurances were made to the kid. No way we could make that promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad