Be A GM Mode/Dynasty Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariegol100

Feb 3, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
I had this crazy a$$ goaltender in year 6 of caps GM mode. His name was Louis Philip Guindon. I got him from Boston in a trade right in the beginning of the season after ten games were played. that included me trading Braden Holtby and Jeff Skinner away( for some reason for 2 straight seasons, Sinner was injured for three fourths of the season), but it payed off. He got 40 wins in 57 games with a really high sv% and GAA but he's only an 87 and 23 years old. I ended up getting the presidents trophy with 59 wins and 125 points. He was injured for the end of the regular season and most of the playoffs. Thomas Greiss got the job done for that part, which I simmed. I won the Stanley cup XD and Grigorenko got the Conn Smythe.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
2016 NHL Trade Deadline...
tsn-tradecentre-iphone_65451.jpg

Duthie: Welcome in everyone to our coverage of the 2016 NHL trade deadline, the day when teams pick up that last piece of the puzzle, or trade away a pending free agent. Alongside me are TSN insiders Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie. Alright let's get this thing started, right off the bat we have the Senators strengthening their 4th line, something GM Alfredsson said was a concern leading up to the deadline.

McKenzie:Yes, it's been a concern because Matt Halischuk had 15 points in 22 games last year(56 point pace), but only has 14 points in 62 games this year, so here's the trade...Ottawa trades Jacob Culek, Buddy Robinson, Derek Grant, and a 3rd round pick in this year's draft to Carolina in exchange for Nathan Gerbe and a 2016 5th.
2013-10-06_065_lr-XL.jpg

...2 hours later...

Dreger: The Sens have made another trade, It's Devan Dubnyk, Francois Perron, Matt Halischuk, and Vincent Dunn heading to Carolina, and a 2016 3rd, 2017 3rd, 2016 4th, 2017 4th, and a 2016 6th heading back the other way

...1 hour later...

McKenzie: And in the dying minutes of the 2016 trade deadline, a blockbuster deal is made, that turns Ottawa from a good team, to being Stanley Cup contenders. Here is the trade, Ottawa sends their 2016 1st, Curtis Lazar, Paul Bittner, and Brendan Bobos to the Jets in exchange for Evander Kane, J.C. Lipon, and a 2017 2nd.
8165224.jpg

Dreger: Wow that turns Ottawa into a real dangerous team

Duthie: What a great trade by the Sens, giving up no roster players, and 3 prospects who are too far down the Sens depth charts to make the team any time soon, and most likely a late 1st round pick, and they still keep their other first rounder. Great trade.

Here is how the new lineup looks:
Kane(87)-Turris(87)-Ryan(87)
Hagelin(87)-Brassard(87)-McDavid(74)
Michalek(86)-Zibanejad(85)-Atkinson(82)
Gerbe(81)-Pageau(77)-Stone(79)
*decided to send Reinhart down to juniors, didn't want to play him bottom 6

Karlsson(90)-Cowen(88)
Staal(87)-Wiercioch(85)
Ceci(84)-Vatanen(81)

Lehner(85)
Gibson(83)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Ahh my bad lol confused you for the New Jersey GM one that traded for him XD
but playing him 3rd line man..? :shakehead that was your problem, gotta play him top minutes 1st line.

If only I were psychic and/or the game didn't start his role as a 3rd line scorer...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't mean it like that. just that you put Stajan and Colborne over Monahan in the line-up.

Because his role was 3rd liner. I didn't want to trade assets to get a better C and I knew it was all about DA PROCESS so I just bit the bullet for the season and put them ahead of Monahan even though I gave Monahan the top PP unit and PK unit.

I was going to start a Buffalo one too with the new rosters, or at least something similar (maybe try and see what my own Myers+Stafford package could get.). I still might do a new Buffalo or Winnipeg one, either with the updated rosters, or make my own deals, but with a rule being that those players have to be dealt out by the 2015 draft.

I'm about 4-5 years into the Calgary one and my team has gone off the rails since Monahan busted and =SPOILER ALERT=

[spoil]we won the cup[/spoil]

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For those entering the Kane trade manually - are you just moving the prospects to their respective NHL teams and letting the game auto-change the player's organization? Or does simply moving the prospect from one AHL system to another AHL sustem do the job?

Kind of annoying that there's no option to shift draft picks between teams prior to GM mode as well.

Can I kindly request the vid that explains how to put prospects (Eichel/Hanafin) into the draft again please?

Thanks in advance guys

Anyone? Thanks

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
For those entering the Kane trade manually - are you just moving the prospects to their respective NHL teams and letting the game auto-change the player's organization? Or does simply moving the prospect from one AHL system to another AHL sustem do the job?

Kind of annoying that there's no option to shift draft picks between teams prior to GM mode as well.

Yeah i was annoyed at that earlier. but yeah moving them from AHL to AHL team as long as you select the new organization, like Winnipeg when it prompts you, it works.

Anyone? Thanks

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm just gonna post year-by-year results and the major deals on this Flames one. It sorta went off the rails at the end.

YEAR-BY-YEAR RESULTS (CALGARY FLAMES)

Year | Wins | Losses | OTL | Points | GF | GA | Playoffs
2014-2015|32|38|12|76|215|259|DNQ
2015-2016|38|32|12|88|221|227|1st Rd
2016-2017|44|33|5|93|231|209|Cup
2017-2018|37|40|5|79|224|230|DNQ
Total |151|143|34|56.4%|891|925|--

Weird run. From having the 1st overall pick (and trading down) to winning the Cup (when we really shouldn't have, well at least not good enough to do so on paper) in such a short time, and then it getting crazy with me desperately trying to repeat rather than staying the course of building a strong club through development.

The biggest mistake was probably trading down and not drafting Connor McDavid. If I could, I would have never done that deal if given a second chance. And then, there were these major deals through the course of the career...

MAJOR DEALS

YEAR 1

FLAMES RECEIVE | KINGS RECEIVE
RW Valentin Zykov|LW Curtis Glencross

FLAMES RECEIVE | BRUINS RECEIVE
2015 BOS 1st round pick (D Noah Hanifin)|2015 CGY 1st round pick (C Connor McDavid)
2015 BOS 3rd round pick (C Nicolas Roy)

FLAMES RECEIVE | PREDATORS RECEIVE
D Seth Jones|D Dennis Wideman
|D Deryk Engelland (800k retained)
|2015 PHI 2nd round pick (55th)
|2015 CGY 3rd round pick (62nd)

YEAR 2

FLAMES RECEIVE | CANUCKS RECEIVE
RW Alex Tanguay|RW David Jones
|D Chris Butler
|2016 CGY 3rd round pick

FLAMES RECEIVE | HURRICANES RECEIVE
D Ryan Murphy|C Matt Stajan
|LW Brandon Bollig
|CGY 2017 4th round pick

YEAR 3

FLAMES RECEIVE | BRUINS RECEIVE
D Dougie Hamilton|LW Matt Calvert
|C Mikael Backlund
|2017 CGY 1st round pick (30th)

YEAR 4

FLAMES RECEIVE | JETS RECEIVE
LW Evander Kane|LW Mason Raymond
D Tobias Enstrom|D TJ Brodie
LW Carl Klingberg|C Nicolas Roy
|G Brandon Kegler
|2018 CGY 1st round pick

*that 1st ended up being 5th overall...

FLAMES RECEIVE | ISLANDERS RECEIVE
C Ryan Strome|C Sean Monahan
|2018 CGY 5th round pick
|2019 CGY 3rd round pick

FLAMES RECEIVE | CAPITALS RECEIVE
LW Andre Burakovsky|D Mark Giordano
RW Tom Wilson|LW Liam Dunda

FLAMES RECEIVE | PANTHERS RECEIVE
2018 FLA 2nd round pick (50th)|C Artem Anisimov
2018 FLA 3rd round pick (80th)
2019 FLA 4th round pick
2019 FLA 5th round pick

FLAMES RECEIVE | DUCKS RECEIVE
RW Nicklas Salmonsson|RW Jiri Hudler

Brian Burke put bad thoughts and led me down the wrong path with this Flames organization and the philosophy on a rebuild. :( That is why MCG has stepped down from the Calgary Flames, although, he's already getting interviews from other teams to step in as GM.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
looking forward to it :) are you going to manually trade 1 of the picks to Winnipeg at the draft or TDL?

At the Draft I'm going to trade whoever's the worst pick out of the two (as Buffalo would do IRL) for a player with an expiring contract, and then obviously not re-sign that player, so it's essentially the best way I could make the pick conditional like it is.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Trade Deadline 2018​

tsn-tradecentre.png

Duthie: It's Deadline day, where rumors become reality, where players move along, and teams let go their dreams of competing for Lord Stanley's Cup. This year is no exception to the whole rumor mill. Along with me, James Duthie, is Pierre McGuire, Aaron Ward, and former NHL'er Jeff O'Neill. So guys, what names have you heard churning throughout the last 12-24 hours.

Ward: New Jersey is still looking to unload some of their older veteran guys. They for whatever reason are still clinging onto some of them, and it baffles me why they haven't dealt them off yet, get some assets for them. They still lack some elite level prospects and with no clear direction, they need to do something there in New Jersey.

Pierre: Minnesota is another team that is looking to unload it's UFA players and or aging veteran players. They have really declined over the last few seasons without Josh Harding in the net, and their team is in shambles right now. Notable guys on the block right now are Jason Pominville, the former 40 goal scorer at one time, is apparently wanting a move out of Minnesota, they also have Mikko Koivu who at the age of 34, is definitely on the downtrend in his career. And then there is Ryan Sutter who, at 33 years of age, can still play some meaningful hockey still but is owed still north of 8 mill per season and is signed for another 8 years. If anyone wants to take on that contract, remains to be seen.

O'Neill: Philly is a team that is looking to get younger and move out some of their expiring contracts in Matt Read and Michael Del Zotto. It's going to be an interesting day for sure.

Duthie: Thanks guys. As we await for any potential deals, let talk about the surprise of this year, the Carolina Hurricanes. Many people would never have thought of them being in the thick of the playoff hunt like they are, but here they are, at the trade deadline, in the thick of it. What do you guys think of their team, record, chances to make any deals and their chances in the post season, should they make it?

Pierre: Well if you would have asked me before the season would Carolina be right in the playoff hunt, I would have thought you were crazy. Well, call us all crazy for not believing in GM Moore and his vision he implemented a few seasons ago. I strongly believe that the GM will go out and acquire at least 1 more veteran player to help with the push, if he doesn't, well that's a fireable offense!

Ward: I always thought that while it'd be slim, the Hurricanes would make the playoffs. Sporting a 38-23-2 record, and sitting just in 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division, the time to act is now for Carolina. I think they make make a move or 2.

Duthie: Alright it looks like we have our first trade to announce, let's go to out Trade Breakers, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dregger and Gord Miller

0228tsn.jpg

Bob: Well, Carolina draws first blood today as they acquire LW Curtis Glencross from Arizona for a goalie prospect they signed last offseason, Benedict Roberg.

curtis-glencross-2009-10-20-23-11-8.jpg

Curtis Glencross joins the Canes from the struggling Coyotes.

Duthie: Alright we have Curtis Glencross on the phone right now, what's it feel like to jump ship from the Coyotes to a hopefully playoff bound Hurricanes squad, and what can you add to their team?
GlenX[Talking on phone]: Well it was a shock to be honest. I didn't see it coming, then all of sudden I wake up this morning to a bunch of texts from my agent and Don(Maloney) the GM, so it came as a definite but pleasant surprise. I think I can add some speed, some grit, some leadership to the team, they have a young team down there in Carolina, but I'm looking forward to my fresh start with my new team.
Duthie: Alright thanks Curtis. That was Curtis Glencross the newest member of the Hurricanes.

**an hour later**

Duthie: We have another trade to announce?

Darren: Indeed James. Carolina again, they acquire RW Matt Read, C Vinny Lecavalier, and D Mark Fistric from Philly for D Prospect James Bell, Center prospect Adam Musil and LW prospect Blake Clarke.

thumb_1322575554665_804897.jpg

Matt Read pictured above is the newest face of the Hurricanes.

Duthie: Okay, on the phone with us right now is Matt Read. Matt how did you find out about the trade, and were your surprised, expecting it to happen, or were you nervous it wasn't going to happen?
Matt[Talking on phone]: Um, yeah I was surprised, about how I found out, I was on the phone with my agent a couple times today talking about the possibility of being moved and then my wife came rushing up to me saying I've been traded. So I hang up on him(agent) and I call Ronny, and he picks up and says he's been trying to reach me for the past 10 or so minutes to announce the trade. But I'm definitely looking forward to my time in Carolina. Philly has been nothing but the classiest of organizations, giving me the chance to be a player in the league, but I'm hoping I can contribute to my new team and make the playoffs and push for the Cup.
Duthie: Alrighty, funny story, thanks Matt. That was Matt read, the newest member of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Other notable trades:
:rangers
2019 1st(ANA)
C Alexandre Andreville 3 G
G Jeremy Belisle 4 G
:ducks2
D Marc Staal
-------------------------------------
:edmonton
D Kyle Quincey
LW Drew Miller
:wings
3 3.5 star scrub prospects
-------------------------------------
:habs
D Andrej Sekera
RW Tyler Kennedy
:sharks
2019 1st(SJ)
D Jakub Zboril 3.5 gr
scrub player
------------------------------------
:edmonton
D Michael Del Zotto
:flyers
2019 1st(PHI)
C Chase Harwell

**End of the day**

Duthie: Wow, it certainly was a flurry of trades today. What do you think of the day for the Hurricanes.

Pierre: I think it was a win, I said if they didn't make at least 1 move, it'd be bad, but they made 2. They added 2 solid veteran players in Glencross and Read. Both can help out with the lack of depth goal scoring, and without giving up B prospects or higher. Solid day, A from me.

Ward: What can I say that Pierre already hasn't said. Solid day for them. They addressed their lack of scoring options on the 2nd and 3rd lines, and they made some solid moves. Rumor was that they were in serious talks to acquire Mark Giordano from the Calgary Flames, but weren't willing to pay the price it'd take, so the talks fell through.

Duthie: Alright, what about Anaheim? They seemingly load up ready for that Cup run, adding another Staal in Marc.

Ward: They made another solid addition, shoring up their defense that has needed that #1 option since Fowler failed to meet their expetations. But for them, this is it. It's make or break. With under 1M in cap space they need to win the cup this season in order for the moves they've made to be successful.

Duthie: Alright thanks guys, this was Trade Deadline on TSN, I'm James Duthie and for the rest of the Deadline crew have a good night folks.

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
New lines post trade deadline:

Lindholm 85 PLY - Staal 87 TWF - Yakupov 92 SNP
Read 84 SNP - Helm 85 TWF - Nylander 82 PLY
Glencross 84 TWF - Johnson 85 TWF - Sutter 83 TWF
Booth 81 PWF - Baillie 81 TWF - Downie 83 GRN

Murphy 83 OFD - Faulk 85 TWD 85
Gormley 83 TWD - Goligoski 85 OFD
Vatanen 80 OFD - McQuaid 81 DFD

Senn 88 HYB
Stalock 82 HYB​

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Finished the season 24-52-6 in Year 1 with Buffalo, and Kane had 40 goals. Well then.

Edit:

Brian Gionta jumped from an 82ovr to 85ovr after his 65pt season. :laugh:

Also Pittsburgh Won the Cup over Chicago and McDavid had 5 pts, 1g, 4a in the Prospects Game.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I do deliver don't I? :sarcasm:

Good read! Always love the TSN format. The phone calls are different too.

I like your lineup too - seems like a reasonable way to build a team rather than the obvious superstar + prospects plus trade trade trade route.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Good read! Always love the TSN format. The phone calls are different too.

I like your lineup too - seems like a reasonable way to build a team rather than the obvious superstar + prospects plus trade trade trade route.

Well I know that they always try to interview some of the guys on trade day if they have time to, so I thought I'd throw that in there too.

thanks, I really wanted to try a true, organic approach to this gm series. it keeps my interest longer, and is more fun to write up about. i just can't wait until some of my prospects do make the line up. thats gonna be sweet!

Oh and an update, remember the play the player in the minors on every line thing? i did it for Barzal this season, tore it up, playing on multiple lines and he grew 2 overall points naturally, so far it definitely works! give it a try if you have a prospect that wont develop or is stagnating.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Was very surprising to see that the Blues pick ended up being 16th overall (as they were Eliminated in the First Round) and the Islanders didn't even make the Playoffs so there pick ended up being 11th overall. So obviously the Blues pick, 16th overall went to Winnipeg and now that deal is complete.

Winnipeg gets Travis Konecny (63ovr, 18yrs, 4strs), so that officially completes the Evander Kane trade. (Some updates as both Myers for Winnipeg and Kane for us both jumped to 86ovr).

Meanwhile, Buffalo loaded up at the Draft...

1st (FWD) Connor McDavid 74ovr 18yrs 4 1/2gr strs
11th (FWD) Dylan Strome 61ovr 18yrs 4strs
21st (DEF) Jakub Zboril 56ovr 18yrs 3 1/2gr strs
41st (DEF) Nicolas Meloche 61ovr 18yrs 4 1/2r strs
85th (FWD) Paul Bittner 64ovr 18yrs 4strs
91st (DEF) Rasmus Andersson 58ovr 18yrs 4strs
96th (FWD) Deven Sideroff 54ovr 18yrs 4r strs
99th (FWD) Ryan Valentini 50ovr 17yrs 3 1/2strs
121st (DEF) Mario Grman 47ovr 18yrs 3 1/2strs
127th (FWD) Adam Musil 62ovr 18yrs 3 1/2strs
151st (FWD) Darby Llewelleyn 65ovr 18yrs 3 1/2strs
181st (FWD) James Mcewan 50ovr 18yrs 3strs

No Goalies, I plan on getting a stud Goalie Prospect next years Draft.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Press Conference/Season Preview
120407_Epilogue.jpg

Martin Ward held a press conference today to discuss the moves made during the off-season, what they mean and what to expect. Without further ado:

3656151.jpg

M.W: Good afternoon folks, thank you for coming out today. I will be taking questions later so please have them handy. Over the course of the summer we have drastically altered the makeup of our team and moved out some big players. I am aware that their is concern among some of you that we are undertaking a full scale rebuilding. That is not the case. As you know we have so promising young players coming up. Our goal has always been to improve every year and to make the playoffs. Over the course of the summer we had been presented with opportunities that would make our club better going forward. Some of these were trades for now, and some for the future. We believe in giving every player a chance to succeed and take on a role best suited for their game and their development. We are not reluctant to give our young players a chance. Over the past summer we made moves that opened up spots for our young players, acquired young players and prospects with the goal of improving our team. I believe that as a result of these moves we are a better hockey club going forward. I will now take questions.

Josh Todd: Martin, Josh Todd here from the Winnipeg post, how can we believe that the Jets have improved over the summer when you have subtracted 2 top 6 forwards and replaced them with a top 2 D ? Where will the goals come from ?

M.W: I understand your concern. From the start of my tenure I have talked about how we lack dynamic talent, and how we want to become more dynamic. We have a young player by the name of Nikolaj Elhers whom we believe will step in and be capable of handling top 6 minutes immediately, in order for him to succeed and develop into the player he can be, he will need to play a top 6 role. We felt we were lacking a true number one defenceman and a physical element at the back. Tyler Myers is a number 1 defenceman and has a dynamic physical element to his game along with a well rounded all around game, a chance to acquire a player like that does not come along every day. We believe that by allowing less goals we can win a few more games, and that our core players will be able to contribute more given another year of development. We also believe that Brett Connolly is an adequate replacement for Dustyn Byfuglien.

J.T: You traded a 40 goal scorer, and a 30 goal scorer, and expect 2 unproven players to replace 70 goals ?

M.W: Our team will be able to makeup the lost production. Kane had 37 goals, and Dustyn Byfuglien had 23 in a year which he put up 48 points, perhaps you should get your facts straightened out.

J.T: Great response, love it. Why would you trade a dynamic player like Evander Kane ?

M.W: Evander had requested a trade under previous and current management, we tried to work things out but could not come to an agreement. That's all I have time for, thanks for coming out.

J.T: Mr.Ward what about the players you drafted ? What about Dustyn Byfulgien ?

Ward: No comment.

JT: There you have it, Martin Ward being elusive about his team expectations. It will be a long season in Jet land, when you lose 70 goals and don't replace them you can't expect to return to the playoffs after already being a low seed. The Jets are likely too strong to land Auston Matthews at the draft, but not good enough to fight for a playoff spot. The 10-14 range in the conference would be a reasonable expectation. For the Winnipeg post, I'm Josh Todd.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-28-at-3.45.02-PM-615x345.png

James Duthie here previewing the Winnipeg Jets, and as you can see from the press conference not many are optimistic about the Jets chances going into the year. They made some intruiging moves during the off-season and are betting high on their youth. However some at TSN think the Jets will surprise.

Bob: That's correct James. Teams are underestimating the Jets here, they are well coached and well balanced team. They have gotten rid of a big locker room distraction in Evander Kane and have a very promising and underrated team.

Craig: At the end of last season there were times where I found Mark Scheiffle was the best player on the ice, he looked dominant out there. Nikolaj Ehlers is a dynamic playmaker who will do more damage then most think, this kid is unreal and will be sheltered at the start. He will likely play with Scheiffle and Connolly and my god will he benefit from that.

Bob: The Winnipeg Jets believe that Wheeler, Ladd and Little are about to peak and are expecting big things, I think that line will be very productive this year and will surprise many. Tyler Myers is a top pairing D that the Jets sorely lacked. The Jets don't have the most physical backend, and wanted more grit. Matt Greene and Tyler Myers make them harder to play against.

pierre-mcguire.png

Pierre: The Jets aren't expecting Brett Connolly to score 60 points here, they'll be thrilled if he can get to 40 points. He's coming off a 28 point season as a 3rd liner in Tampa, he should be able to produce more in a bigger role with better players. At this point he is both a project and a stop gap while Meier and Garland develop, however he could be a steal. Adam Lowry is another to watch for. He scored 38 goals in 76 games last year in the AHL, that's a goal every 2 games. He's a young powerfoward. He won't match that pace but I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 20. The Jets added some leadership at the back and on the 4th line, while also getting a bit gritter. I say they make the playoffs, a lot will depend on Pavelec being able to match last years form.

Predicted Lines:
Ladd(86)-Little(87)-Wheeler(86)
Elhers(84)-Scheiffle(87)-Connolly(84)
Lowry(83)-Perrault(84)-Frolik(83)
Halischuck(80)(Richardson(82)-Gionta(82)

Enstrom(86)-Myers(88)
Bogosian(84)-Trouba(84)
Stuart(82)Greene(79)

Pavelec(84)
Hutchinson(81)

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Finished the season 24-52-6 in Year 1 with Buffalo, and Kane had 40 goals. Well then.

Edit:

Brian Gionta jumped from an 82ovr to 85ovr after his 65pt season. :laugh:

Also Pittsburgh Won the Cup over Chicago and McDavid had 5 pts, 1g, 4a in the Prospects Game.

I haven't even started but I know my Sabres will be better than yours. ;)

Although, I might go with Winnipeg. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad