Be A GM Mode/Dynasty Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The other one was over 1000, here's the new one.

Here's some of the most recent GM posts from other thread:

2018/19 Starting Lineup:

Palat (86) - McDavid (93) - Silfverberg (86)
Boucher (83) - Johnson (88) - Zajac (84)
Nash (80) - Kesler (86) - Henrique (85)
Foligno (84) - Josefson (83) - Matthias (83)

Gelinas (91) - Larsson (84)
Merrill (86) - Davis (84)
Tursambayev (81) - Renz (83)

Schneider (88)
MacCallum (82)

MacCallum - 4Y, 22 Y/O
Tursambayev - 3.5R, 23 Y/O
Renz - 4.5Y, 20 Y/O
Davis - 4Y, 21 Y/O
Nash - 4R, 20 Y/O

2015 Trade Deadline Report
nhl--toronto_maple_leafs_1966-67.gif

The Leafs were active today as expected. The rebuild is underway in Toronto, that became evident when goalie Jonathan Bernier was traded to the Minnesota Wild and 2 pending UFA's.

Below is a recap of the Leafs trades today:

To Anaheim:
Mike Santorelli

To Toronto
Miro Altonen
2015 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick
2014 4th round pick

To Minnesota
Jonathan Bernier

To Toronto
Nicklas Backstrom
2015 2nd round pick
2015 4th round pick

To Arizona
Cody Franson

To Toronto
Brandon Gormley
2015 5th round pick

Martin Ward scheduled a press conference after the deadline had ended where he talked about the moves made today and fielded questions from reporters.

"First and foremost I'd like to thank you all for coming out today, as you know we made some trades today.

I'll start with the Santorelli trade. Mike's a great guy and a great hockey player, we're sad to see him go, but he wasn't in our future plans. Right now we have a very shallow prospect pool, we're going to use the draft picks we acquired to stock the cupboard. I wish Mike all the best.

Cody Franson had informed us a month ago that he wasn't going to resign with us. He didn't want to be a part of the rebuilding process. We were fortunate to get Brandon in return, he's a player who will step right and play in the top 4. He's a RFA at seasons end and will be with us for the foreseeable future.

You can't have 2 number 1's forever, we had a decision to make and we chose to keep James. James is under contract for next year which made the decision a little easier. Jon's a good goalie, he's a competitor and he wanted to be a starter, in Minnesota he will be the guy. Nik Backstrom is a vet who can come in and be a mentor for James, he will also serve as our backup next year which settles our goaltending situation for the time being. The 2nd round could later be flipped at the draft, we don't know what's out there but we have lots of draft picks and lots of options."

Martin Ward Q and A:

Reporter 1: Martin, fans are curious, are the Leafs rebuilding >
M.W: That's a good question. Yes we are rebuilding, it's going to be a busy summer and you will see some big moves.

Reporter 2: Martin, is it true that Phil Kessel has requested a trade ?
M.W: No, he has not. Did he ask you for a trade ? I haven't heard anything. If he wants a trade he would have to tell me and not you.

Reporter 3: Are the any untouchables ?
M.W: Yes, Panik, Reilly and Nylander will not be moved.

Reporter 1: Is James Reimer the number goalie ? Is he the guy ?
M.W: Have you followed anything that has happened today ? Are you paying attention ? Yes, he's our guy.

Reporter 2: Last question Martin, Who's on the block ? Will Dion Phaneuf be traded ?
M.W: What kind of question is this ? We don't discuss player availability with the media.

That concludes our coverage of the Leafs deadline day. Certainly not a quiet one.

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm starting up a brand new GM mode.

Thinking either Carolina, Columbus, or Detroit.

EDIT: Going with Carolina.

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Canes Under New Management!

After only a little while on the job, GM of the Carolina Hurricanes Ron Francis has stepped down due to 'personal family reasons'.

francispresserdl042814_2.jpg

Ron Francis announcing his resignation at a press conference.

With the suddenness of his resignation, the Hurricanes have hired Anthony Moore, assistant GM to the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL. He is considered to be one the the best managerial types not in the NHL. GM Moore had this to say:

"It is an absolute honour to become the new GM of the Hurricanes. This team has some work to do, but I am confident we can turn this team into another Stanley Cup winning team again. On a more personal note, I wish nothing but the best to Mr. Francis, and what he does in the future. I only spoke with him briefly, but it definitely sounded like he was needing to be away from the NHL."

The Hurricanes also announced that former Cup winner with the Hurricanes Rod Brind'amour is going to be the Assistant GM to Mr. Moore, so he can get settled and acquainted with the players, personnel and staff.

brindamour060711.jpg

Rod being introduced as Assistant GM.

" I got the chance to speak to Roddey over the phone a few times since I was asked about the job. He's a well liked guy with the team and hopefully we'll build a winner here in Raleigh. I do have a plan, and I intend to evaluate the roster over the course of the season and see who fits into said plan and who does not."

More details to come.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Doing an Oilers Be a GM, as usual.

So Perron (retained salary) To pittsburgh for First rounder and klinkhammer.

First year, I traded away Ference, Petry, Fasth, Nikitin all for draft picks. I ended up with the first and second overall picks, along with three other first rounders.

Fourth Year, after three years of playoffs and being eliminated in the semi finals, I'm 27-11-3. Line up is

Hall-RNH-Vanek
Yakupov-McDavid-Eberle
Lemieux-Gordon, Michalek
Pouliot-Klinkhammer-Booth
Purcell

Marincin-Schultz
Nurse-Gernat
Klefbom-Fayne

Lehner
Some finnish back up who's 79.

McDavid is in his rookie year, at 86 overall. Gernat and Nurse are 83 and 84, with Marincin being 86. Yakupov and Eberle don't seem to develop much, being 85 and 87.

RNH in the third year had 106 points. He is my highest rated player at 91. Vanek was signed for 6.5 million for 7 years....he's 33 but I had 19 million in cap space.

(Posted again because I didn't know other thread was nearing closure.)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Don't mind the voice here, but look at NBA 2K15's MyGM mode compared to this series' GM mode:

The stuff I wanted to highlight was the first 2:30, not the gameplay afterwards, and don't mind that guy's voice. I know.

Cutscenes interacting with your owner, importance on certain aspects, hiring staff and them having certain grades, actually communicating with other GMs who you want to talk trade with, etc

loopy91

Jan 6, 2015
***Reposting from old thread as I will continue on***

After a disappointing 2013-14 season the Winnipeg Jets have decided to part ways with their GM and Coach and hire on a much younger group to help rebuild the franchise.
"We really wanted to bring someone in here that would help develop the youngsters and we looked around the league but couldn't find anyone. So we decided to branch outside and we found a couple of guys who we really think will connect with these kids both on and off the ice and will help to turn this ship around."
Speaking to the media for the first time, GM Chris Walsh had this to say:
"Don't expect me to come in here and blow things up in the first year. I want to remain focused at the task at hand and take a long look at what we have now and what we want in the future. For me, I'm going to let the new coach take the reins and run with it. We have a good group here, but we really need to get a few pieces brought in before we can consider ourselves a contender...and that's not going to happen overnight."
When asked about his style of play and how he intends to develop his squad, new head coach Jacob Christopher's answer was quite simple:
"We want to win. I'm not here to do anything else, but I don't expect it to be easy. I'm glad management has offered me this chance to start my career here in Winnipeg"

SEASON ONE 2014-15

OFF THE ICE
The Winnipeg Jets started the campaign with the pretty much the same team they started with the previous season. GM Walsh had said he wasn't looking at making many changes throughout his first year and he stuck to his word. He made only one trade, sending Frolik and a 2nd round pick in 2015 to the Ottawa Senators for their 2015 1st Rd pick, which turned out to be 13th overall. He also made two small minor league signings, bringing in Micheal Schumacher and Ryan Horvat, both young LWs to help provide some depth in the organization.

ON THE ICE
Unfortunately for the Jets, the season is one to forget. They finished the season with a 34-44-3 season, accumulating 72 points and 29th overall. Their goal production was quite low, scoring only 204 while allowing 257. Bryan Little lead the team with 62 Pts(15G, 47A), while Evander Kane, who started the year on the 2nd line but moved up quickly to the 1st, topped the team in goals with 30.

DRAFT
Having the 2nd overall pick with so many good choices on the board, the Jets decided to boost their D core with the selection of N. Meloche. They are hoping he will grow into a steady D-man and will help produce on the PP in years to come. The full draft breakdown is as follows:
2. N. Meloche
13. D. Sprong (From Sens)
61. C. Askew
91. D. Gibl
121. A. Cirelli
151. C. Lalancette.

The offseason will be busy for Jets management as they will be looking to upgrade both upfront and in the goal tending department. The GM is going to take a few days before looking at resigning player and maybe electing to sign their 2nd overall pick to an ELC or holding off to see how he progresses in Junior.

loopy91

Jan 6, 2015
So I had a HUGE writeup down and somehow I deleted the whole DAM thing so Im going to paraphrase it:

OFFSEASON
14 players resigned, including Budaj who never played a game in 2014-15, but the organiaztion wanted to send Hutchinson back for rebuilding

5 Free Agent signings, 3 young players, along with Joel Ward and Michael Ryder

2 Trades

To Bolts
Stuart, 2nd
To Jets
D. Strome(who the Jets had targeted at the draft), 6th

To Flames
Enstrom, 3rd
To Jets
Gaudreau, 4th

Lineup to start the 2015-16 Season

Kane-90 Scheifele-86 Wheeler-87
Ladd-87 Little-86 Buff-86
Ward-84 Perrault-82 Gaudreau-83
Ryder-80 O'Dell-81 Thorburn-78

Bogosain 85 Trouba 85
Kichton 80 Postma 80
Pardy 76 Clitsome 81

Pavelec 85
Budaji 81

Notable Prospect
D. Stome
Morrissey
Petan
Meloche
Lowry
Comrie

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
June 23 2015

NHL Entry Draft Preview:

2014-draft-575x383.jpg

James Duthie here with our TSN Insiders Bob McKenzie and Darren Dregger. Now as you already know Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid will be the top 2 picks. What we don't know, is who is going to be the first overall pick.

Bob: It is believed that the Carolina Hurricanes whom have the 1st pick, are leaning towrods Jack Eichel. However GM Ron Francis is willing to move the pick. Ottawa would like to see Connor McDavid fall into their laps at number 2, however they would gladly take Jack Eichel. The Sens have said that they will not move the pick no matter what comes their way. They are picking at number 2 and will take one of Eichel or McDavid, which will make the battle of Ontario exciting for years to come.

Darren: Carolina wants a top flight player in return for the 1st pick. Now there are a handful of teams who would be willing to trade away a franchise talent for that pick. We know that Phil Kessel's time in Toronto has come to an end. He will be dealt at some point this summer, maybe tonight. The Leafs want the first pick and would take Connor McDavid if they got to pick first. They've been involved in talks with the Hurricanes all week and a trade is possible. I would not be surprised if the pick was moved.

In the meanwhile guys, are there any big moves expected today ?

Bob: It's possible that we see some big trades, if we do I would expect the Leafs to be involved in them.

Darren: Tyler Bozak's name has come up in trade discussion, he's under contract for 4 more years at 4.2M, he's a first line center and teams have been calling Martin Ward about him all week, he will be moved if the right offer comes along.

Alright, thanks guys, before we end we have our top 5 mock draft to present, where myself, James, Bob and TSN Director of scouting Craig Button have provided you with their top 5 picks of the draft.

James:
1: Connor McDavid
2: Jack Eichel
3: Noah Hanifin
4: Dylan Strome
5: Callum Booth

Bob:
1:Jack Eichel
2: Connor McDavid
4: Pavel Zacha
5: Dylan Stome

Darren:
1:Jack Eichel
2: Connor McDavid
4: Cameron Askew
5: Pavel Zacha

Craig :
1: Connor McDavid
2: Jack Eicel
3: Pavel Zacha
4: Dylan Strome
5: Callum Booth

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
June 23rd 2015

2015 NHL Entry Draft
2014-draft-575x383.jpg

Good evening folks, this is it. The big day. James Duthie here with our entire TSN crew providing you with live coverage of the 2015 NHL entry draft. These young men have worked hard their entire lives, and now it's finally here. We will update you on all the latest news of the day. To kick things off here is our insider Bob McKenzie.

Bob: Now there's been a lot of discussion about who will go first overall, well at this point it will be Jack Eichel of the Boston University Terriers, however that could change if the Carolina Hurricanes decide that they want to trade the first pick. All sources indicate that there's a 50% chance they do. Now there's the question of who will offer up the package.

Darren: That's right, it is believed that the Toronto Maple Leafs have been involved in advanced trade talks with the Carolina Hurricanes, and that numerous names are in play on both sides. Martin Ward has gotten calls on Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul, however I'm told they won't be on the move today.

Well there you have it guys, expect the unexpected and expect some trades here today. Craig Button here to provide us with an analysis our the picks as they go down. Pierre McGuire will analyse every trade we see today.

To get things underway, here is the commissioner Gary Bettman.

Good evening Sunrise, Florida. I would like to thank the city of Florida, the entire Florida Panthers organization and you the fans. Also I would like to congratulate the Minnesota Wild on winning their first ever Stanley Cup. Before we get things underway, we have some trades to announce.

Pierre: The been a major involving the Toronto Maple Leafs, and a trade involving Minnesota.

Bob: I can confirm that the Leafs have made a move, I'm hearing that Andrew Ference has been traded.

Darren: A source inside the Leafs organization has told me that Phil Kessel has been traded. Minnesota has acquired Andrew Ference from the Oilers.

James: Wow. the draft hasn't even started yet and here we are with some big moves, we go back to Gary Bettman who is announcing the trades.

Gary Bettman: Our first trade, Minnesota trades Kevin Hayes, Samuel Noreau and Raphael Bussieres to Edmonton for Andrew Ference.

Gord: So there it is, Ference had asked for a trade.

Pierre: I like this trade for both teams, Minnesota gets a great locker room guy and a bottom 6 D while Edmonton gets some size, grit and youth.

Gary Bettman: We have another trade to announce, oh my this is a big one.

Darren Dreger: This is the Kessel trade.

Gary Bettman: Toronto trades Phil Kessel to Carolina for the 1st overall pick in the 2015 NHL entry draft and Jay Harrison. Toronto has the 1st pick in the 2015 NHL entry draft, without further ado, Toronto you are on the clock.

Pierre: Wow. I'm stunned and speechless. This is an awful trade for the Carolina Hurricanes. Kessel has 8 years left on his deal at 8M a year, he's never hit 100 points in a season and he's never scored 50 goals in a season. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel will get 100 points next year. This is a fireable offence, an awful trade by the Hurricanes you don't build a franchise around Phil Kessel. I can't believe this.

James: The battle of Ontario just became the best rivalry in the NHL.

Bob: This is a shocking trade, Eichel and McDavid will being going head to head for a very long time.

Darren: Lot's of names were thrown in the deal. Ultimately this was the best fit.

Martin Ward to make the first pick, Bryan Murray heard the trade and and stared dropping F-Bombs. Sens wanted McDavid.

Martin Ward on stage. Good evening everyone, Thank you to the Florida Panthers and their great fans for their hospitality, I would like to welcome our fans at the Air Canada Center who are attending our draft part. I would like to congratulate the Minnesota Wild on winning their first Stanley Cup. With the first overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry draft, the Toronto Maple are thrilled to select, from the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League Connor McDavid.

ConnorMcDavid.jpg

Connor McDavid above.

James no surprise there, Ottawa up now.

We'll have Martin Ward and Bryan Murray Join us in a minute.

Bryan Murray steps up. With the second overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry draft, the Ottawa Senators select from the Boston University Terriers, Jack Eichel.

Oct18_MH9_Maya-Devereaux.jpg

Jack Eichel above

Pierre: The Battle of Ontario just got a whole lot better.

Florida up now: Good evening and hello, thank you to our great fans for attending. The Florida Panthers are pleased to select from the Quebec Remparts, Callum Booth.

Colorado up now: Colorado selects Dylan Strome.

Detroit up now: Detroit selects Cameron Askew.

Craig weighs in on the top 5 picks.

The first 2 picks are no brainers, both generational talents. Florida knows that Luongo is getting old, Callum Booth is a great goalie and the best goalie to come out of Quebec since Luongo. I don't know why the Avs took Strome here, they need a D. Detroit is getting a hell of a hockey player in Cam Askew, he's a big kid.

Martin Ward and Connor McDavid are here and joining us. Martin, why Connor ? Tell us about the Kessel trade.

We believe that Connor is the best player in the draft, and that he is going to be our franchise player for years to come. I love Jack a lot but I love Connor more. Both are great kids and great players. We felt it was time to change the culture of our team and shake things up. Carolina wanted a pure scorer and feel they got that. We need to be more consistent and we have stared that today by trading away a player known for his inconsistency and by altering the face of our franchise.

James: Connor, describe this feeling.

It's unreal, I can't believe it. I was always a die hard leafs fan and now I get to play here, I'm excited to be here and I will bring a cup to this city someday.

Thanks guys.

We're joined by Bryan Murray and Jack Eichel, Bryan are you disappointed to see McDavid in a Leafs jersey ?

No, we have a great rivalry with them and it just got a lot better. We both have generational talents and we ended up the one who's better. We always Jack, but we didn't think he would fall to us. He did and I'm thrilled.

Jack describe this feeling.

Well it's a dream come true. Playing in Canada where hockey is king and I"m in the nation's capital. I want to be the best in the world and bring a cup to Ottawa while beating the Leafs in the process.

James, fans in Ottawa are certainly going to love you, you may want to be careful about going to Toronto however.

For those wondering Noah Hanifin was just taken by the Kings at 6th overall in what Craig calls the steal of the draft. Ron Francis joins us and discusses the trade.

Ron why did you make this move ? How do you respond to Pierre's comments ?

Phil is a great player who needs a new start. We have depth at center and a great goalie. We don't need to rebuild, we need to retool and we did that. We're serious about winning and Phil is a 40 goal scorer who will be lethal. I heard about his comments. He has his head in his ass and there's a reason he's not an NHL GM.

Thanks Ron, Phil Kessel joins us on the phone.

The newest member of the Caroline Hurricanes, Phil Kessel Pictured below.
phil_kessel.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Phil you actually found out about the trade while watching the draft ?

No, Martin called me about 10 minutes before the drafted started and told me. He kept me in the loop the whole time. He said he felt I needed a change. I have lots of respect for him, the fans and even John. We didn't always see eye to eye but they certainly tried to make it work out and it the end it wasn't meant to be.

Are you excited to join the Hurricanes ?

Yeah, they've got a lot of potential and Eric Staal is a buddy of mine, I get a fresh start to look forward too.

Alright, thanks a good luck.

Lots more to come here on TSN, the Leafs have their own pick at number 12, still to come.

Will do a draft review for the Leafs.

Last edited:

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
EA should really fix trade value. There's no way any team would trade away McEichel for Kessel.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
EA should really fix trade value. There's no way any team would trade away McEichel for Kessel.

They didn't base it on that, they based it on the value of a 1st overall pick. You can't expect the game to recognize that those are generation talents when they haven't even been drafted in game.

I think first overall should have more value when a player in the draft has franchise status, in this case both 1 and 2 should of had more value. But it might be a stretch for the game to be able to recognize that.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Maple Leafs draft review and other news.

Before the draft Leafs players Ed Jovanovski and Sheldon Sourray announced their retirement, we wish them all the best in their future endeavours in life.

The Maple Leafs had 16 picks in this year draft, here's who they took and what round they were taken in:

Round 1:

1st Connor McDavid 17 C Erie Otters OHL
ConnorMcDavid.jpg

12th Lawson Crouse 17 LW Kingston Frontenacs OHL
12490573073_56a8444367.jpg

Round 2

42nd Tim Wieser 20 LW Sherbrooke Phoenix QMJHL
Tim+Wieser+.jpg

50th Pascal Aquin 17 LW Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL
2014-09-15-10-19-38-Spo-HS-PascalAquin-.JPG

60th Brandon Carlo D Tri-City Americans WHL
474555501-brandon-carlo-of-the-tri-city-americans-gettyimages.jpg

Round 3
72nd Adam Brodecki 20 RW Brynas Galve SHL
Brodecki-Kanns-som-ett-derby-att-mota-Farjestad.jpg

79th Ivan Nikolishin 19 C Everett Silvertips WHL
1dzqTCnc_400x400.jpeg

80th Blake Clarke LW 17 North Bay Battalion OHL
I0000MmFHOMqxY5o.jpg

Round 4
102nd Samuel Leblanc 19 D Halifax MooseHeads QMJHL
B97374666Z.120140930205114000GVM6SG6L.11.jpg

109th Tyson Baillie 19 C Kelowna Rockets WHL
baillie2.jpeg

120th Loik Leveillé 18 D Cape Breton Screaming Eagles QMJHL
1310961899086_ORIGINAL.jpg

Round 5
128th Ivan Povororov 18 D Brandon Wheat Kings WHL
QMI-ES20141013PM036-original.jpg

132nd Benedict Roberg 19 G Team Germany U-20
kevin-reich-fabio-pfohl.jpg

Round 6
162nd Nathan Noel 18 C Saint John Seadogs QMJHL
2013-12-20-08-38-29-4-col-color-cut-a-round-Noel.jpg

170th Tyson Verhelst 17 G Spokane Chiefs WHL
verhelst-e1419019098262.png

Round 7
193rd Adam Musil 18 C Red Deer Rebels WHL
bb05a410-77e6-11e4-b04e-45ad40cbf308_adammusil.jpg

Grade A
It's hard not to give the Leafs a good grade after the draft they had today. Before the draft started, the prospect pool was shallow and one of the NHL's worst, now it might be the best. That is what happens when you draft 16 players in one day. 10 Forwards, 4 Defenceman and 2 Goalies, or 5 Centers, 4 Left wingers, 1 Right winger, 4 Defenceman and 2 Goalies. It was reported that the Leafs wanted to go Forward heavy as they are expected to make some moves upfront in order to give their young Forwards an opportunity to play big minutes.

The Leafs needed to add size and skill upfront and they have shown that they are willing to do just that. They managed to pick up a few potential late round steals along the way and added some defensive prospects to the system at the same time. The one disappointment is likely to be in the goalies they drafted, it is unlikely that they will find a starter in the 5th or 6th round and the Leafs are still in search of a goalie who will lead them to the promised land. The center and left wing positions are no longer considered shallow and bleak. There is high end talent at both positions and on the right wing. The right wing is still relatively shallow. They have some high end talent in Panik and Nylander, but Brodecki projects as a bottom 6 forward. After that there is not much else. The Leafs drafted 4 defenceman, it remains to be seen how they will turn out, none are high end but they all have top 4 potential. The Leafs are still searching for a high end defense prospect and a goalie of the future. Overall the draft is a definite success. The prospect pool got a big boost and now looks to be very deep and has some high end talent in it.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So I decided to start a new GM mode with Columbus, but with a bit of a twist. I had to trade away every single player on my team that was 80 overall or higher, and other than getting rid of the 80+ overall guys I'm not allowed to make a single trade (and didn't acquire any extra draft picks), and I can't sign any free agents over 80 overall.

Essentially, I have to build from the draft, and by signing undrafted prospects. The only downside is the salary cap is turned off, since my team would have legitimately had like 55 million in capspace, making it really annoying

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
June 28th 2015

Free agency preview

wallpaper_20111104124039_11152974662.jpg

The Leafs head into free agency having locked up their core and having re-signed some of their minor league players.

They also signed first overall pick Connor McDavid to a 3 year entry level deal. McDavid is expected to Center the teams first line.

Meanwhile the team resigned the following players:

C Nazem Kadri 4yr 4.6M
RW Richard Panik 1yr 800k
RW Brandon Kozun 1yr 575k
C Connor McDavid 3yr 925K
D Brandon Gormley 2yr 1.3M
LW Brad Ross 1yr 575k
LW Andreas Johnson 1yr 700K
LW Greg McKegg 1yr 575K
RW Patric Celhin 1yr 575k

The McDavid signing leaves the Leafs with 3 centers capable of playing on the first line. It is expected that one of or both of Nazem Kadri and Tyler Bozak will be traded during the summer. The questions remains who ? The Leafs enter free agency with 18 million in cap space. With the annoucement that Jim Slater, Danniel Winnik, TJ Bodie and Todd Bertuzzi will test free agency, the Leafs are left with holes in the lineup.

The 4th line Center position, 3rd and 4th line Left winger positions are vacant. Also vacant is the first line Right winger position. It remains to be seen if the Leafs will sign or trade for a replacement for Phill Kessel.

The Defence appears to be set with 5 returning D. It is likely that Stuart Percy and Matt Finn will be given the chance to battle it out for the 6th spot, perhaps along side a veteran.

The goaltending situation is set, with James Reimer and Nicklas Backstrom reprising their roles.

Insider Bob McKenzie weighs in on Leaf moves during the summer.

The Leafs will move a Center at some point this summer. The question becomes who ? Well that depends on a few things. There's a market out there for Tyler Bozak, it's rumoured that Detroit made a push for him at the draft, maybe they push again. Nazem Kadri's name has come up, it's unlikely he's moved. The Leafs will ask more for him. Another factor is how far away the Leafs feel they are from contending. If they feel they're 3 years away they're more likely to keep Bozak and trade Kadri. However, Bozak is 29 and entering the prime of his career, if the Leafs feel they are 5 years away, they'll move Bozak. Both players are coming off career high seasons both will fetch a good return and both can help the Leafs now and in the future. I think the Leafs will ultimately decide to keep Kadri.

Trade candidate Tyler Bozak
461295195_slide.jpg

Now some other moves are expected, it's more than likely that Dion Phaneuf and Joffrey Lupul are traded, and it's likely that Phaneuf will be stripped of the captaincy. Lupul is more likely to move, however the Leafs do not want to be basement dwellers and be in the Auston Matthews sweepstakes.

I would expect the Leafs to make a few small signings and some trades. They want to be a mid table cap team. There's a few unsigned prospects on the market that the Leafs will attempt to sign, I'm told they will also aggressively pursue Mike Green if he hits the open market.

There you have it. For TSN, I'm Greg White.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
April 11, 2017
:cbj

After back to back 30th place finishes, the Columbus Blue Jackets have clinched a spot in the playoffs with their victory over the Lightning in the final game of the season, and end the year 42-34-6. They will be taking on the New York Rangers in Round one.

The team was clearly lead from the back end, with Morgan Rielly breaking out, and leading the team in points, with 70. Severson and Reinhart also broke the 45 point mark. Young forwards Max Domi, and Leon Draisaitl continued to develop chemistry, with Domi tying Rielly at 70 points, and Draisaitl coming in at 50. Rattie and Boucher found the net for new career highs of 29 goals, and 35 goals.

Going into the first round of the playoffs, their depth chart is

Boucher (83) - Miller (84) - Rattie (88)
Rychel (82) - Draisaitl (79) - Domi (82)
D'Amigo (78) - Vey (79) - Biggs (80)
Chaput (77) - Tyrell (78) - Boll (77)

Rielly (89) - Reinhart (85)
Vatanen (83) - Severson (83)
Beaulieu (81) - Erixon (80)

Merzlikins (81)
Makarov (78)

Although they are not expected to have a deep playoff run this season, the future looks bright with recent 1st overall pick McDavid, and 2nd overall pick Day, yet to suit up for the team

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
July 1st,

Leafs busy in early hours of free agency.

wallpaper_20111104124039_11152974662.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs have been busy in the early hours of free agency, making 4 trades.

They are listed below:

To Toronto
2016 6th round pick
2016 7th round pick

To Anaheim
F Carter Verhaeghe
F Greg McKegg
F Brandon Kozun

To Arizona
D Rinat Valiev
D Cody Donaghey
G Chris Gibson

To Toronto
2016 7th round pick
2016 6th round pick
2016 5th round pick

To Winnipeg
G Garret Sparks

To Toronto
2016 5th round pick

To Calgary
G Antoine Bibeau

To Toronto
2016 4th round pick

Provided insight on these moves is Farhan Lalji.

These moves are somewhat curious. However not all that surprising. The locker room problems extended deep into the organization. There's a feeling of culture change going on and the Leafs want to field a younger AHL team. Another thing is that the Leafs are in the running for several unsigned or undrafted players. These moves clear spots for them. So there's more than one factor at play here.

Thanks Farhan. The Leafs are expected to be busy throughout the day and are expected to announce a few signing during the week.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
September 20th 2015

c8e6dfaca7a70d79e3e403a9715441c4.jpg

Free Agency report

The Toronto Maple Leafs had a busy summer, signing 15 players. Most of whom are prospects, the most notable acquisition is that of blueliner Mike Green. The Leafs were quiet on the trade front making only one move, however things are expected to heat up. Below is a full list of the Leafs moves this summer:

Signings:
D Mason Geertsen 3yr 800k
D Igor Jelovac 3yr 600k
F Anthony DeLuca 3yr 600k
G Francois Brassard 3yr 600k
F Artturi Lehkonen 3yr 800k
F Axel Holmstron 3yr 600 k
F Sean Bergenheim 2yr 3.25M
D Dillon Heatherington 3yr 925k
G Brendan Burke 3yr 925k
F Juuso Ikonen 3yr 800k
F Luca Fazzini 3yr 600k
F Brett Bulmer 3yr 600k
G Juuse Saros 3yr 925k
F Louick Marcotte 3yr 925k
D Mike Green 4yr 6M

The Leafs also made a trade over the summer acquiring C Vern Fiddler from the Dallas Stars in exchange for Winnipeg's 4th round pick in the 2016 NHL draft and Toronto's 5th round pick in the 2016 NHL draft.

Martin Ward joined us today to talk about the moves over the course of the summer.

Martin, why so many prospect signings ?

Well we need depth. We believe that you can never have too many prospects. We were very luck that our scouts were able to identify some of these players. As you know some of them went signed by the teams that drafted them and we were able to sign those players. We have a great pool of prospects, we're very excited about the future. We have talent at every position. We're in a position now where we can afford to move out some players if we think it will get us closer to our ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup.

Martin, what does the addition of Mike Green mean for the team and for the future of Dion Phaneuf ?

You can't pass up the opportunity to sign a guy like Mike Green, he's a top pairing offensive defenceman who will up our powerplay and our breakouts. He will take some of the load off of Dion Phaneuf.

Martin, over the summer people expected to see more cap clearing moves, are these moves going to happen ?

Certainly, however it can be difficult to get a good return. We still have some bad contracts that we would like to get rid of, however we also want to ice a competitive team. We're not done rebuilding, however the process has been sped up due to our good drafting and our free agent signings. We're still a few years away from where we want to be but we don't have to make player for draft pick and prospects trades. We can trade player for player in order to get the guy we want in here.

Thanks for doing this Martin and good luck this year.

You're welcome and thank you for having me on the show.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Toronto Maple Leafs
2014-15 year in review
In 2014-15 the Maple Leafs finished the regular season with a 50-22-10 record for 110 points, earning them the Presidents trophy. Despite their regular season success the Leafs would fall in stunning fashion in a 4-1 series loss verses Carolina in the first round, after an injury to Van Riemsdyk that put him out for the rest of the playoffs devastated the team. Kessel won the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng. Ottawa ended up beating the Kings in the cup final.

Trades made in 14-15
4 prospects, Colton Orr, 2020 4th-->Phi for Akeson and Raffl
David Clarkson--> Bos for Reilly Smith(50%), 2 3rd rd picks
David Booth-->MTL for 3rd, 7th rd
Sign Matt Halischuk
Claim Dumont, Y. Weber, Barbeiro, and Desjardins off waivers
James Reimer, 2nd-->ANA for Fredrik Andersen(50%), 2 6th rd pick
Roman Polak--> ARZ for Brandon Gormley, 7th rd
After the playoff collapse:
Dion Phaneuf, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th--> NYI for Nick Leddy
Santorelli, Holland, 3 prospects--> CAL for McDavid, Bennett

2014-15 player stats
Player-Games Played-Goals-Assists-Points
Kessel-82-47-55-102
Van Riemsdyk-82-40-46-86
Kadri-79-19-56-75
Lupul-77-29-26-55
Bozak-75-12-37-49
Smith-77-14-34-48
Gardiner-82-13-33-46
Franson-82-8-37-45
Phaneuf-82-11-20-31
Santorelli-81-9-22-31
Raffl-78-7-15-22
Holland-81-4-14-18
Halischuk-82-7-9-16
Gormley-82-6-8-14
Frattin-79-8-4-12
Akeson-41-2-9-11
Reilly-47-1-8-9
Bernier finished 42W-19L-6O w/ 8 shutouts
Andersen finished 24W-11L-8O w/ 4 shutouts

Then in offseason resigned:
Kadri-3 yrs/3.870 M
Smith-4 yrs/2.410 M
Franson-3 yrs/4.465 M
Gardiner-5 yrs/3.940 M
Bernier-4 yrs/4.300 M
Leddy-6 yrs/4.515 M
Then signed free agents Chris Tanev, Matt Belesky, James Sheppard, 2 young prospects

2015-16 lines
JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bozak-Smith
Akeson-McDavid-Raffl
Belesky-Sheppard-Frattin

Gardiner-Leddy
Franson-Reilly
Tanev-Gormley

Bernier
Andersen

P.S. Anyone have tips on how to best develop Morgan Reilly because he had a terrible season(even though he was injured)? Thanks

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Hey guys, try and keep the images to a minimum in your posts. :)

There's like half a page of pictures just for one post. Took me forever to load this page.

Keep up the good work boys :yo:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
October 7th 2015

leafsold.jpg

Leafs make big moves

Martin Ward was very busy today, making multiple big moves. These moves will prove to be franchise altering as core pieces were shipped out today, including team captain Dion Phaneuf.

Here is a list of the trades that were made today:

To Dallas
F Joffrey Lupul
2016 4th round pick

To Toronto
F Travis Moen
2018 1st round pick

To Edmonton
F Josh Leivo
D Roman Polak
G Benedict Robberg
2016 2nd round pick

To Toronto
F David Perron

To Arizona
D Dion Phaneuf

To Toronto
Shane Doan
2016 2nd round pick
2016 4th round pick

To Philadelphia
F Tyler Bozak

To Toronto
D Samuel Morin
D Nicklas Grossman
2016 2nd round pick
2016 4th round pick

The Leafs also signed Center Andrew Ebbett to a 1yr contract worth 700k.

Martin Ward discussed the moves made today at a press conference.

All summer long we had offers on the table for certain players, we wanted to wait it out and see what was out there. Today we decided it was time to pull the trigger on these moves. We gained a lot of financial flexibility today and freed ourselves from the bad contracts given out during the previous regime. We gained some valuable assets for the future while adding a couple guys who will contribute now. We're very happy with the direction the team is headed in. We have a lot of cap space and no bad contracts that will harm us in the future. It took awhile but I can say I am confident that the team is heading in the right direction.

For TSN, I'm Greg White

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just for clarification, all difficulty settings are at their max.

Carolina Hurricanes: Pre-Season Update

After a horrendous 8-3 thrashing at the hands of division rival Columbus Blue Jackets, new GM Moore saw a definite problem with the teams depth. As such he went out and signed the following players to shore up the bottom 6 defensively.

Players signed:
LW Dustin Penner to a 1 yr contract
C Andrei Loktionov to a 1 yr contract
D Sami Salo to a 1 yr contract
C Michal Handzus to a 1 yr contract
RW Chad LaRose to a 1 yr contract

"These players will definitely help with our depth issue that seems to have been an Achilles heel for this team for the longest time. With injuries decimating the roster in many different ways, it helps to have the extra depth."

Then, Moore went out and made a couple trades, most were trading minor league players for late round picks, but then this deal came up:

:canes
D Brendan Gormley

:coyotes
C Victor Rask
2017 3rd round pick

"This is one of those rare, trade from a position of strength for a weakness and we felt like we came out well in it. It hurts to give up a player like Rask, but he didn't fit in our long term plans, and Arizona was definitely high on him from our discussions about players. Gormley is a sold 2 way Defenseman that has the potential to be a top pairing guy. He wasn't going to really get the chance in Arizona we felt, so we made the move. This has been a good week for roster moves."

The teams record including that loss to Columbus was 4-1-2 after those moves were made.

Here is the line-up going into the start of the season

Skinner(87 SNP 4.5 Gold) - E.Staal(89 PLY) - Semin(85 SNP)
Tlusty(82 SNP 3.5 Gold) - J.Staal(87 TWF 4.5 Gold) - Penner(83 PWF)
Gerbe(81 SNP) - McClemment(82 GRN) - Loktionov(80 PLY 3.5 Gold)
Dwyer(79 TWF) - Handzus(80 TWF) - LaRose(80 GRN)

Sekera(86 TWD) - Faulk(85 TWD 4 Green)
Gleason(83 DFD) - Gormley(81 TWD 4.5 Red)
Hainsey(80 TWD) - Salo(81 TWD)

Ward(88 HYB)
Khudobin(84 HYB)

"We have to take a long hard look at this team. How we do is a factor, but as I stated in my introductory presser, I do have a plan for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille