Online Series: BBC's The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just finished season four, i didnt think it was that good

Felt like nothing happened, the events and death of episode 1 to 3 felt like it was last season it was so apart.

I felt like Scott from Austin Powers:
Haesten: All right guards, begin the unnecessarily slow-dying hanging mechanism
Me: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Haesten: I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan

Taken by Haesten twice and both times he just walks away, gives himself up at Winchester but of course he doesnt even get attacked again

The season really lacked the stream-lined plot that it has had since episode 1, seems the first time there was filler and Mercia took way too long. Again if felt like almost nothing happened this season. Then there was the finale, which started out well but then Uhtred is traded for the Edward's kids... just so they can negotiate? why not just negotiate with the kids hostage? Then the Saxxons breach the walls and are going to route the Danes, killing them all, but then mid battle, after Uhtred just walks from one line to the other, they all stop, form ranks and then they negotiate in the castle? Why would they agree to a truce and give up land, also giving a ward, when they were going to kill all the Danes and take back Winchester? I get it saves Saxxon lives but it seems hard to believe that with an overwhelming force they stop to give up land they want badly for a truce when they would have easily defeated the Danes

First four episodes were good but after that it just dragged on

I’m going to agree on the Mercia and Haesten points.

As for the stuff with Citrygr, it makes sense to me. Edward wants a lasting peace as would Alfred. They only fight when they have to. If Citrygr can control all of the Danes, that can be achieved.

He was a breath of fresh air as I don’t know how much longer I could stand taking the new Dane boss of the season. They’re almost all exactly the same outside of Citrygr and Erik a few seasons ago.

Overall I enjoyed the season but yeah once again you have to shut your brain off quite a bit to enjoy some of the plot. Just like with the armies showing up at the perfect minute every time when it would likely take weeks or months to travel. I’ve just accepted that’s allowed on this show though and try not to think much of it anymore.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I’m going to agree on the Mercia and Haesten points.

As for the stuff with Citrygr, it makes sense to me. Edward wants a lasting peace as would Alfred. They only fight when they have to. If Citrygr can control all of the Danes, that can be achieved.

He was a breath of fresh air as I don’t know how much longer I could stand taking the new Dane boss of the season. They’re almost all exactly the same outside of Citrygr and Erik a few seasons ago.

Overall I enjoyed the season but yeah once again you have to shut your brain off quite a bit to enjoy some of the plot. Just like with the armies showing up at the perfect minute every time when it would likely take weeks or months to travel. I’ve just accepted that’s allowed on this show though and try not to think much of it anymore.

I had no problem with Sigtryggr as a character

He was completely overwhelmed, his small army fighting against both the armies of Wessex and Mercia with the walls breached. Then they call a timeout and negotiate, trading York for Winchester AND Sigtryggr gets a ward. They were about to be obliterated and he got a larger piece of land and Uhtred's daughter. They even have a scene or two about how important the land in Northumbria is to them and what that means to them that they are uniting the four kingdoms and fulfilling Alfred's dream, but nah lets just give that up because a small force moments away from being wiped out wanted to negotiate mid-battle. So they gave up Alfred's dream of having Britain united under the Christians for, as I see it, no reason

About your uniting the Danes under a viking ally aspect, Sigtryggr is some guy who just came from Ireland, seems a bit much to expect that

Really, it just the last half of the episode that I had a problem with the first half and prior episode was on par with the show. Remember, Sigtryggr gave Edward his sons back THEN they both negotiated mid-battle, just dumb. Mercia just arrived at Winchester after conquering part of Northumbria and they give it away like a party gift. Its a great show with good writing so it really stuck out as a wtf moment. It could have, should have, been written much better for them to negotiate an exchange and truce. Of course there were a few other problems I had with this season but looks like those do not need to be discussed

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I had no problem with Sigtryggr as a character

He was completely overwhelmed, his small army fighting against both the armies of Wessex and Mercia with the walls breached. Then they call a timeout and negotiate, trading York for Winchester AND Sigtryggr gets a ward. They were about to be obliterated and he got a larger piece of land and Uhtred's daughter. They even have a scene or two about how important the land in Northumbria is to them and what that means to them that they are uniting the four kingdoms and fulfilling Alfred's dream, but nah lets just give that up because a small force moments away from being wiped out wanted to negotiate mid-battle. So they gave up Alfred's dream of having Britain united under the Christians for, as I see it, no reason

About your uniting the Danes under a viking ally aspect, Sigtryggr is some guy who just came from Ireland, seems a bit much to expect that

Really, it just the last half of the episode that I had a problem with the first half and prior episode was on par with the show. Remember, Sigtryggr gave Edward his sons back THEN they both negotiated mid-battle, just dumb. Mercia just arrived at Winchester after conquering part of Northumbria and they give it away like a party gift. Its a great show with good writing so it really stuck out as a wtf moment. It could have, should have, been written much better for them to negotiate an exchange and truce. Of course there were a few other problems I had with this season but looks like those do not need to be discussed

That is their goal to unite England but I think you’re missing the point with Sigtryggr. Yes they could’ve won but what’s the point of that? More Danes would just attack in another year and they’ll continuously be set back.

They set this up with the Mercia point too emphasizing that they need someone who can negotiate and not just fight. It’s why the sister really was the better choice over Uhtred.

This is what Sigtryggr represents. They believe they can eventually take this back or negotiate with him. It’s clear he’s a new type of Dane who they could actually prosper with as him leading the Danes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
That is their goal to unite England but I think you’re missing the point with Sigtryggr. Yes they could’ve won but what’s the point of that? More Danes would just attack in another year and they’ll continuously be set back.

They set this up with the Mercia point too emphasizing that they need someone who can negotiate and not just fight. It’s why the sister really was the better choice over Uhtred.

This is what Sigtryggr represents. They believe they can eventually take this back or negotiate with him. It’s clear he’s a new type of Dane who they could actually prosper with as him leading the Danes.

The point is to bring all of Britain under Christian control, that has been their goal since episode 1 and never changed. They do not want peace, peace is just a tool. They had three kingdoms under control and a foot hold in the fourth. So when Sigtryggr doesnt want to negotiate he trades Edward's sons for Uhtred in order to...negotiate, instead of doing that when he had more power over Edward.

Its ironic that you mention Aethelflaed as a negotiator over fighter, since she just went up north to fight and conquer the Danes in Northumbria then came down to fight and kill the Danes in Winchester. Its clear they do not want peace with the Danes but yet they give away the fort that they just conquered like a party gift in order to get a city they were just about to get all the same in hopes that they will get a peace they all of a sudden want because they...believe a guy who just arrived in Britain for the first time ever will unite the Danes and have them not fight anymore? Thus never uniting all of Britain? Cause of some sort of random chance of a set back...at something?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The point is to bring all of Britain under Christian control, that has been their goal since episode 1 and never changed. They do not want peace, peace is just a tool. They had three kingdoms under control and a foot hold in the fourth. So when Sigtryggr doesnt want to negotiate he trades Edward's sons for Uhtred in order to...negotiate, instead of doing that when he had more power over Edward.

Its ironic that you mention Aethelflaed as a negotiator over fighter, since she just went up north to fight and conquer the Danes in Northumbria then came down to fight and kill the Danes in Winchester. Its clear they do not want peace with the Danes but yet they give away the fort that they just conquered like a party gift in order to get a city they were just about to get all the same in hopes that they will get a peace they all of a sudden want because they...believe a guy who just arrived in Britain for the first time ever will unite the Danes and have them not fight anymore? Thus never uniting all of Britain? Cause of some sort of random chance of a set back...at something?

Uhtred will negotiate, Edward does not want to. It takes Uhtred convincing Edward to stop the fighting for a negotiation to occur with Edward. Fair point on Aethelflaed. They definitely could've done a better job handling the ending, but I see the allure of no longer having their armies depleted every few years from fighting the Danes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Uhtred will negotiate, Edward does not want to. It takes Uhtred convincing Edward to stop the fighting for a negotiation to occur with Edward. Fair point on Aethelflaed. They definitely could've done a better job handling the ending, but I see the allure of no longer having their armies depleted every few years from fighting the Danes.

Sure, like I said peace is a tool and the writers are slaves to history but the way they wrote it does not make any sense. Edward wanted to burn all of Winchester down just to kill the Danes and take back Winchester.

Pre-credit lines:
Uhtred: "We should try again to speak with Sigtryggr. This silence may be a sign he looks for another way"
Edward: "They do not want to speak. We send men, they send arrows. We have asked them to leave and now our patience wears thin"

Which makes it sound like Sigtryggr never wanted to negotiate so Edward moved on from that line of thinking

Then later they start to negotiate

Sigtryggr: "I will give you one of your children if you retreat"

But then flash forward to the end and my complaint, with Edward now in possession of his children, breaching the walls of Winchester and both the army of Wessex and army of Mercia destroying Sigtryggr's men....They start to negotiate and Edward gives up Eoferwic (York) like it was no big deal because even tho he has superior forces he is no longer interested in driving the danes out of Britain but wants peace and hope some guy who has never been in Britain before will control all the Danes and have them become farmers.

I think they should have cut down the time in Mercia, got rid of the filler and lengthen the time spent on the siege of Winchester. Of course also writing a better reason for Edward to negotiate and give up Eoferwic. Honestly, how easy would it be that Edward trades that for his two sons, this drives a wedge between him and his sister and cause tension between Wessex and Mercia, laying the foundation for Edward and Wessex to dominate Mercia and all none Danes in Britain, which was touched upon in earlier in the season

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just finished season 3 which I thought was magnificent. The writing, the depth of character, the emotional scenes, the acting--it's like everybody involved in the show raised their game way beyond what I expected. Episode 6, where Uhtred and Brida meet at Ragnar's grave site and talked through the night was the most moving episode in the series so far. Dawson was great in the end, and he is going to be missed.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought this season was pretty good, the pacing was excellent - I never felt like it dragged.

There were some fairly prominent events that took place but they were fairly well spaced out IMO.

Alfred no longer being in the show is a huge loss, but it presents opportunities in terms of character growth on the part of his children and his widow.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Season 5 is out and it’s pretty good. Looking forward to the movie when it comes out.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Season 5 is the first season for me where there feels like there is a notable drop in quality. Gone from a great show to merely a good show. I'm only 3 episodes in though, so hopefully it picks up.

Also, Brida sucks. Perhaps it is the actress, but not feeling her as the main villain.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Season 5 is the first season for me where there feels like there is a notable drop in quality. Gone from a great show to merely a good show. I'm only 3 episodes in though, so hopefully it picks up.

Also, Brida sucks. Perhaps it is the actress, but not feeling her as the main villain.
I feel the same way. It seem they are just creating artificial conflicts to have an excuse for the fight scenes. The story is pretty boring in this season compared to previous season. I actually thought season 4 was the last one, the way it ended and was surprised to see season 5. Still watchable but nowhere near as good as the first 4 seasons.

Reactions: I am not exposed

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Noooooo they didn't do Brida justice this season. She did not get to cut off Uhtred's balls like I wanted! Oh well, maybe next season.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Watched the first two so far for season 5 and it is indeed a decent time jump. Brida coming back for some revenge will likely be a big theme.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
I like how they keep making it look like Edward is making some unbelievably rash calls and I am sitting here thinking he is the only one to make sense in this

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad