Online Series: BBC's The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Second season was a lot better than the first, though Alfred certainly doesn't inspire the kind of confidence he does in the historical record.

Well you can root for them but considering this is based on real history don't be disappointed when they don't win :p

Well they don't exactly lose either. Alfred doesn't succeed in uniting England, and the replacement of Norse pagans with Anglo-Saxon rulers doesn't last long, and Denmark conquers all of England about 100 years after Alfred's reign ends. England is fundamentally changed due to an influx of Norse settlers. And of course, William the Conquerer is a descendent of Scandinavians.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just finished season 2, thought it was a bit slow at first but then really got into it. Looking forward to season 3 as I assume it will be back.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I liked season 1 more, but both seasons were awesome. This one was kind of split into two with the 3 year time jump.

Show's had some sad deaths. Leofric, Clapa, Odda.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm halfway and liking it so far. Also interesting to learn that Uhtred is based on the Bernard Cornwell's ancestor Uhthred the Bold.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm halfway and liking it so far. Also interesting to learn that Uhtred is based on the Bernard Cornwell's ancestor Uhthred the Bold.

The show has a feel to it that I couldn't put my finger on until I realized it was the same author as the Sharpe historical series.

He's got the same band of merry men who stick with him through thick and thin (for the most part) and he kind of ambles his way through history with every achievement accompanied by a subsequent setback.

Also, every woman he encounters tends to fall in love with him.

Just a tad of escapist surrogate fantasy on the author's part. ;)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just watched the first season, AMAZING!!!! Can't believe i didnt know about this gem.

We should probably change the title to NETFLIX too, more people will be interested in clicking the thread and seeing what it's all about.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Except the BBC stuff on Netflix marketed at Netflix Original are probably the best things on Netflix.
They own it now exclusively though right? Since season 3 it technically has been their own original.

Wish Netflix did a better job advertising the show, they have a gem that nobody even knows about. Thankfully a co-worker told me about it.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
They own it now exclusively though right? Since season 3 it technically has been their own original.

Wish Netflix did a better job advertising the show, they have a gem that nobody even knows about. Thankfully a co-worker told me about it.
IDK about that.

In any case, I think most people who are into historical dramas know about it by now or will soon enough. It really is a word of mouth type of show.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Incredible show. Definitely one of my favourites. Each season has been great so far. Looking forward to the next one.

The first two seasons of Vikings were also great, but then it really tapered off for me when Athelstan was killed off.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The next Assassin's Creed game is basically The Last Kingdom with our man Cnut as the main character!!!! (Just a different name in the game but same guy and he's voice recording it as well). Full trailer shows King Alfred in there as well! Holy shit i'm pumped for this.

Reactions: wej20

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Just finished season four, i didnt think it was that good

Felt like nothing happened, the events and death of episode 1 to 3 felt like it was last season it was so apart.

I felt like Scott from Austin Powers:
Haesten: All right guards, begin the unnecessarily slow-dying hanging mechanism
Me: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Haesten: I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan

Taken by Haesten twice and both times he just walks away, gives himself up at Winchester but of course he doesnt even get attacked again

The season really lacked the stream-lined plot that it has had since episode 1, seems the first time there was filler and Mercia took way too long. Again if felt like almost nothing happened this season. Then there was the finale, which started out well but then Uhtred is traded for the Edward's kids... just so they can negotiate? why not just negotiate with the kids hostage? Then the Saxxons breach the walls and are going to route the Danes, killing them all, but then mid battle, after Uhtred just walks from one line to the other, they all stop, form ranks and then they negotiate in the castle? Why would they agree to a truce and give up land, also giving a ward, when they were going to kill all the Danes and take back Winchester? I get it saves Saxxon lives but it seems hard to believe that with an overwhelming force they stop to give up land they want badly for a truce when they would have easily defeated the Danes

First four episodes were good but after that it just dragged on

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the ire comes through so genuinely in the guy playing Alfred because he's frustrated that he's only one on this show who can act
I haven't had a problem with the acting in this at all. it's not Royal Shakespeare Company level, but it's solid all around.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just finished up season 4, amazing again. Show is FINALLY starting to gain some steam around the world and is quickly becoming popular. Shame on Netflix once again for not advertising this more, they advertise so much garbage non-stop while they have a gem sitting on the side.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad