GDT: Battle of Alberta! Bennett edition! CBC 8pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
they were the top line on opening night in ADK. But that only lasted until Jooris was called up. They didn't play as a line in Abby, Jooris was with Knight & Hanowski most the time and Granlund was almost exclusively with Reinhart.

Ah, okay. Doesn't really support my insight, but that line played really well last night.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ah, okay. Doesn't really support my insight, but that line played really well last night.
I think there are a few factors.

1. Chemistry. Ferland and Granlund played together for a portion of last year and this year in the AHL. Granlund has also seen time with Jooris in the NHL this year.

2. Style of play. I think players like Granlund & Raymond benefit from having more physical players with them as it opens up more ice for them. I think Raymond with 2 more physical players would do quite well too.

3. Jooris being a RH shot. I know it sound funny, but Jooris being a RH shot changes the whole dynamic. I think having that RH winger really helps most lines, some are skilled enough to get past it (such as our top line) but most are not. I think this is why the 4th line looks better with Shore on it as well. This is why I would like to see Colborne used as a C or LW rather than RW.

4. Squeezing the stick. We hear it a lot, some guys squeeze their stick too tight and try to do too much. This is what I am seeing in Raymond recently, it looks like he is trying to do too much out there.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
SS7rcUV.gif

:laugh:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
First period was worrisome but then we showed our superior team play and system by dominating last two periods.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I honestly don't feel bad, at all. Is that cruel?

I remember when their "rebuild" started, in what seems like almost a decade ago, Oilers fans were always so quick to remind us of how they would soon be an elite team kicking our tails while we'd still be trying to get Iginla a cup with a bunch of over the hill players surrounding him. Funny how things work out, huh? So no, I don't feel bad at all. Eventually I'd like to see a BoA playoff round, but for the time being I'm enjoying the hell out of what's going on over there. The Oilers organization are hands down the most entertaining reality TV show going today.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See, I wouldn't have felt bad for them if their rebuild turned out to be really mediocre and their peak was similar to the Sharks. Or if all they managed to produce was a bubble team. But to not even get off the ground? That's rough. They might need to rebuild their rebuild.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
See, I wouldn't have felt bad for them if their rebuild turned out to be really mediocre and their peak was similar to the Sharks. Or if all they managed to produce was a bubble team. But to not even get off the ground? That's rough. They might need to rebuild their rebuild.

Pretty sure they are going to have to do a bit of a retool, such as draft Hanifin and trade Yak and/or Eberle for a goaltender. Pretty much the example of why building a core of wingers doesnt work.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I honestly don't feel bad, at all. Is that cruel?

Not even remotely. Some Oiler fans (though, a small minority of them) are still convinced they have a better team and we're just "lucky" and next season it will all come crashing down on us. I think it's funny how in that one thread on the mainboards a while back a few of the Oilers fans tried to convince us we have been rebuilding since 2006 or the moment we traded Dion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Sometimes I think about feeling bad for them, but then I remember all the trash I am forced to read on the main board year after year and suddenly I don't feel bad for them at all.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't even feel like gloating about this game tbh. As bad as the Oil are, we looked like hot garbage in the first. This team needs to pull it's socks up or catch a second wind if they wanna make the playoffs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't even feel like gloating about this game tbh. As bad as the Oil are, we looked like hot garbage in the first. This team needs to pull it's socks up or catch a second wind if they wanna make the playoffs

Yeah, I feel the same way.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

True, we pretty much have to have 3 strong games in a row now. Arizona is pretty much another must win. Then if we can beat either LA or Winnipeg our chances are high.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Yeah, we were definitely pretty crappy in the first. Had we been playing a good team, the results could have been very different.

Espeon

Apr 4, 2015
Was deep in enemy territory last night. Man was that ever a fun game to go to. Also first post on HF hi everyone!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We really need to go 2-1 for our last 3 games. The AZ game is most important because if we lose that one, that forces us to have to win the last two, which would be much difficult to do given the circumstances.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Was deep in enemy territory last night. Man was that ever a fun game to go to. Also first post on HF hi everyone!

Welcome! I'm the sheriff round these parts. I hold universal respect and admiration of everyone. :sarcasm:

I bet that was fun. Looked like about half the crowd was decked out in red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad