Blue Jays Discussion: Baseball is back. Yay Controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I said this even before spring training began, but Sanchez is our future #2. I could see him solidifying that role this year. Young with ace potential. He will only get better from here.

Stroman
Sanchez
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
-Chavez, Floyd, Morales, Cecil, Storen, Osuna

I could see EE being traded later on in the year for a strong bullpen arm+. I think Jose will be re-signed and unfortunately we probably won't be able to afford both these guys.

Side note, DeGrom is going to have a big year. That Mets rotation looks unreal.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Tough loss especially since Sanchez pitched so well

EE - you probably won't get many chances to come up twice with the bases loaded in a game. His timing is a bit off, understandably

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah the Mets are scary... They could have 4 aces in de Grom, Harvey, Syndergaard and Matz. That doesnt include Wheeler when he gets back. At worst Syndergaard and Matz are #3 with a legit chance to be more.

Sucks the way the game ended last night but the right call.

On a more positive note i was REALLY impressed with Sanchez. Looks like a completely different player. 8 Ks and no walks? Are you kidding me? Sanchez throws strikes at a rate under 60% in his career. Last night he was at 70.3%. He isnt gonna stay at that mark all season but its encouraging to see that he has improved - maybe he can get to 63-64%. I think Stroman is rubbing off on him.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The controversial Bautista slide was an unfortunate incident that was the result of pure instincts, and it had absolutely no impact on the play. It will take time for the players to adjust to the new rule. I can't blame Bautista.

It really shouldn't have come down to that play anyway with so many base runners stranded throughout the game. Our achilles heel since last season has been our inability to manufacture runs using the basic fundamentals of the game. Just because we have a power laden lineup, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to move runners over with a higher percentage play.

On a positive note, Sanchez was absolutely fantastic, and he probably could have kept going beyond the 7th inning. I don't blame Gibby for bringing in Cecil though, based on his track record. His scoreless inning streak was bound to end at some point.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This game will force MLB to change the rule, adjust or even abolish it. Similar to the NHL in 1999 when a player's foot or even toe was in the crease during a goal, the goal was disallowed UNTIL it happened in the Stanley Cup finals and Brett Hull scored a goal with his team mate's foot in the crease and the goal WAS allowed, the following year the rule was gone.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
The controversial Bautista slide was an unfortunate incident that was the result of pure instincts, and it had absolutely no impact on the play. It will take time for the players to adjust to the new rule. I can't blame Bautista.

It really shouldn't have come down to that play anyway with so many base runners stranded throughout the game. Our achilles heel since last season has been our inability to manufacture runs using the basic fundamentals of the game. Just because we have a power laden lineup, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to move runners over with a higher percentage play.

On a positive note, Sanchez was absolutely fantastic, and he probably could have kept going beyond the 7th inning. I don't blame Gibby for bringing in Cecil though, based on his track record. His scoreless inning streak was bound to end at some point.
What I found a little frustrating was when we had runners on base, whoever was up batting always seemed to be taking home run cuts when all we needed was a bloop in the gap. It's only three games in but those home run cuts have resulted in a crazy amount of strike outs so far this season. Hopefully they come up a little better this afternoon against Moore.

I wonder if Tulo is going to get his old glove fixed or start using a new one? lol

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This game will force MLB to change the rule, adjust or even abolish it.
Not really.
Players need to understand the rule has changed.
You can't target the second baseman.
Jose did.
He cost his team the game.

If anything, this incident will awaken players that the MLB isnt fooling around.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What I found a little frustrating was when we had runners on base, whoever was up batting always seemed to be taking home run cuts when all we needed was a bloop in the gap. It's only three games in but those home run cuts have resulted in a crazy amount of strike outs so far this season. Hopefully they come up a little better this afternoon against Moore.

I wonder if Tulo is going to get his old glove fixed or start using a new one? lol

It killed us against KC in the ALCS too. Gibby gives the green light to every batter in those situations not named Goins.

36 strikeouts in 3 games so far, and many of them were with men on base.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This game will force MLB to change the rule, adjust or even abolish it. Similar to the NHL in 1999 when a player's foot or even toe was in the crease during a goal, the goal was disallowed UNTIL it happened in the Stanley Cup finals and Brett Hull scored a goal with his team mate's foot in the crease and the goal WAS allowed, the following year the rule was gone.

That call still pisses me off. It was clear as day and yet they refused to acknowledge it. That's why I love the new review system with coaches challenge.

That's the real problem here, stranded base runners. How are you gonna win a game if you leave the bases loaded every inning? Those that think the call was garbage need to watch it again. He clearly interfered. Baseball is a game of mistakes, where a hung pitch usually is out of the park and a split second reaction to fielding a ball in play is the difference between an out and a run. Bautista clearly knows the new rule that you can't slide into a defender so he tried being sneaky and got caught.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Last year, the Jays were by far the best team in the league with runners in scoring position, and they were by far the best team in the league in high leverage situations.

Their approach is the same as last year, it just looks bad because it's been three games. It happens. They'll be fine.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Last year, the Jays were by far the best team in the league with runners in scoring position, and they were by far the best team in the league in high leverage situations.

Their approach is the same as last year, it just looks bad because it's been three games. It happens. They'll be fine.

You're correct, but our record in low scoring, one run games was not impressive, and that trend will continue unless this team learns how to play small ball when the situation dictates as such.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
In which case should they have played 'small ball'

Having your good hitters hit is usually how you win (which is partially why the Jays went 15-28 in one run games and still won 93)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You're correct, but our record in low scoring, one run games was not impressive, and that trend will continue unless this team learns how to play small ball when the situation dictates as such.

Record in one-run games has nothing to do with an ability to play "small ball".

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Speaking of last night's last play, after reviewing the replays there is no question in my mind that the umpires made the right call (I know a lot of you would argue that Edwin was safe, too bad but that's the new rule)

There was a lot of talk at training camp and before the start of the season with regards to Sanchez being the starter or the reliever but the question is how can you keep Sanchez out of the starting rotation with the way he has performed in the training camp and last night

He is probably your best pitcher behind Stroman or your # 2 guy

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not really.
Players need to understand the rule has changed.
You can't target the second baseman.
Jose did.
He cost his team the game.

If anything, this incident will awaken players that the MLB isnt fooling around.

I doubt it, MLB will do what the NHL did after the 1999 season "toe in the crease rule", they'll realize the rule isn't really right, this rule will probably last the year, but if a playoff game ends like last night, the rule will be gone.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Speaking of last night's last play, after reviewing the replays there is no question in my mind that the umpires made the right call (I know a lot of you would argue that Edwin was safe, too bad but that's the new rule)

There was a lot of talk at training camp and before the start of the season with regards to Sanchez being the starter or the reliever but the question is how can you keep Sanchez out of the starting rotation with the way he has performed in the training camp and last night

He is probably your best pitcher behind Stroman or your # 2 guy

Not too many people are disputing that it was the wrong call, they're disputing the NEW rule is wrong and last night proved that the rule needs to be adjusted or abolished altogether.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Not too many people are disputing that it was the wrong call, they're disputing the NEW rule is wrong and last night proved that the rule needs to be adjusted or abolished altogether.

He literally reached out and grabbed the player. The fact that they had to review it means that the umps missed it because he was discreet, but his slide was illegal by the old rules and the new (it's textbook runner interference).

i

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
He literally reached out and grabbed the player. The fact that they had to review it means that the umps missed it because he was discreet, but his slide was illegal by the old rules and the new (it's textbook runner interference).

Bautista didn't interfere, the throw happened as Bautista was sliding, if he interfered with the throw then I'd agree with you and Edwin beat the throw so how can they call it a double play? Players will start to dive towards the runner and flop down harder than a soccer player so the double play will be called. This rule will be gone, all these new rules are ruining the game and MLB will lose fans.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So it looks like Carerra is in an Saunders is out for today's game. Not sure why but it concerns me a little. It's not like he should need an off day

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So it looks like Carerra is in an Saunders is out for today's game. Not sure why but it concerns me a little. It's not like he should need an off day

Maybe, and hopefully, they're just being cautious with Saunders early in the season

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Carrera and Barney batting 8th and 9th today according the jays twitter feed. Guess they don't want the bench getting too much rust right out of the gate. Colabello back in today as well.

Edit: Ooops someone beat me too it.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Bautista didn't interfere, the throw happened BEFORE Bautista even touched him, if he interfered with the throw then I'd agree with you, but you have to interfere with the throw for it to really be interfence.

No it didn't...Sportsnet's replay clearly showed that Bautista grabbed the fielder before he threw (and prevented a proper pivot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad