Blue Jays Discussion: Baseball is back. Yay Controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Apparently the reaching out part isn't reviewable, the purposeful slide out of the basepath/through the base is reviewable.

They know they screwed up.
Damage control.

What are they supposed to say? "Jose's interference was not reviewable, so the Jays probably would have won if we didn't screw up. Oh well..."

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I still don't see why the fourth part of the rule wouldn't apply here

However, if someone is going to tell me that even if Jose didn't grab the leg that there would be a chance he was out because he didn't stay on the bag that is ridiculous. That part of the rule is pretty clear defined to prevent players from blowing up defenders who are behind the bag and vulnerable at the time of the throw. If no one is there Jose should be able to slide as far as he wants.

I figured that part would be there to prevent a player from coming in sliding 20 mph going 10 feet past the base potentially creating a violent collision. Basically to avoid injury

However Jose was within reach of the base at the conclusion of his slide, which is IMO the purpose of the rule, a normal slide, he could have touched the base, but he was out so it's not really logical that he should be required to, as long as he can, thus slowing him down to prevent the volent collision

as for the 4th part of the rule. It appeared to me he was on the left side of the base for his entire slide. He might have turned a little upon contacted the base, whether that's from him trying to break up the throw or plain physics having the body turn when the base impeded his body I don't know.

The only part that clearly moved in my books was his hand, and I'll concede that he stuck it out for that purpose. But I think that minimal contact should be allowed.

He broke rule 3 and I don't agree with it that rule forcing the player to actually stay on the base when he's already out, but I don't make the rules so whatever. I have to live with it.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I figured that part would be there to prevent a player from coming in sliding 20 mph going 10 feet past the base potentially creating a violent collision. Basically to avoid injury

However Jose was within reach of the base at the conclusion of his slide, which is IMO the purpose of the rule, a normal slide, he could have touched the base, but he was out so it's not really logical that he should be required to, as long as he can, thus slowing him down to prevent the volent collision

as for the 4th part of the rule. It appeared to me he was on the left side of the base for his entire slide. He might have turned a little upon contacted the base, whether that's from him trying to break up the throw or plain physics having the body turn when the base impeded his body I don't know.

The only part that clearly moved in my books was his hand, and I'll concede that he stuck it out for that purpose. But I think that minimal contact should be allowed.

He broke rule 3 and I don't agree with it that rule forcing the player to actually stay on the base when he's already out, but I don't make the rules so whatever. I have to live with it.

Unfortunately the rulebook does a bad job (ie no job) of defining pathway. Is it only where he is sliding (in which case its legal), or does it include any voluntary movements he makes while sliding (in which case its probably illegal).

If rule 3 had anything to do with this call I'm already done with this rule. It can go to the same place where the 'bounce a tenth an inch off the bag on a steal with the tag still on' replay should go.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Unfortunately the rulebook does a bad job (ie no job) of defining pathway. Is it only where he is sliding (in which case its legal), or does it include any voluntary movements he makes while sliding (in which case its probably illegal).

If rule 3 had anything to do with this call I'm already done with this rule. It can go to the same place where the 'bounce a tenth an inch off the bag on a steal with the tag still on' replay should go.

rule 3 basically was the call. See this Shi tweet

The first part, deliberate interference, isn't even reviewable, might as well throw that out. Which just leaves rule 3. So EE was out because Jose broke rule 3.

As for the come a tenth of an inch off the bag, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't hate that rule. The bag is a players safe, if he doesn't want to be out then I'd suggest the novel idea of not coming off of it. But that's another argument altogether.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
They know they screwed up.
Damage control.

What are they supposed to say? "Jose's interference was not reviewable, so the Jays probably would have won if we didn't screw up. Oh well..."

Well that really puts the icing on the cake doesn't it.

I'm actually pretty surprised with how quickly that all went down. For some plays, they spend like 10 minutes reviewing it to make sure they get the call right. Seems like they rushed it and really screwed it up for some reason.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The suckiest thing is as a result of not only the loss, but the way it went down, probably the most important thing in this whole game will be forgotten:

7 innings, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 1 ER.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
damn sydergaard was throwing 95 slider today.

FTe6xY2.gif

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oh well. Tough way to lose, but I have a feeling we will see the offense break out a bit tomorrow and get us a series win.

8-3 win.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The suckiest thing is as a result of not only the loss, but the way it went down, probably the most important thing in this whole game will be forgotten:

7 innings, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 1 ER.

Ya he was filthy. When he has good control he is virtually untouchable. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Bautista was the whole offence for us, but in the end, he blew it for us. That was just outrageously silly what he did with his hand, he definitely gave the guy a little quick catch and release. So dumb.

Maybe Forsythe would have blown the throw anyways, but we will never know. Kind of thing that can come back to haunt you at the end of the season.

E.E. looked pretty cold tonight, swung at some poor pitches. He could have easily won the game for us. I hope to god he is not going to tank on us for not resigning him before the season.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Bautista was the whole offence for us, but in the end, he blew it for us. That was just outrageously silly what he did with his hand, he definitely gave the guy a little quick catch and release. So dumb.

Maybe Forsythe would have blown the throw anyways, but we will never know. Kind of thing that can come back to haunt you at the end of the season.

E.E. looked pretty cold tonight, swung at some poor pitches. He could have easily won the game for us. I hope to god he is not going to tank on us for not resigning him before the season.

Keep in mind he is a notoriously slow starter typically and missed Spring Training. He'll be fine.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Edwin has always been pretty bad in April.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Stupid move by Joey, but then again if he doesn't do it we lose anyways.

But I'm too stoked about Sanchez' dominance and command to be upset about this game. That's a much more important development than the loss.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if someone made that slide on us to give their team the lead we'd be crying bloody murder.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That was a ******** call, but it's baseball, teams are bound to get umpballed from time to time.

Now Aaron Sanchez :amazed:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
As for the come a tenth of an inch off the bag, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't hate that rule. The bag is a players safe, if he doesn't want to be out then I'd suggest the novel idea of not coming off of it. But that's another argument altogether.

Considering he was already out before he started his slide I don't think that really applies here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Jose interfered with the slide and his hand. Stupid move. Cost them the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad