Barzal vs Hischier + Zacha

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I tend to look more at experience than age. They were both rookies and Barzal showed he could dominate the competition, Hischier did not. Obviously age is a factor but they're 1.5 years apart, it's not like Barzal was Panarin playing in a top pro league and put up big numbers as an older rookie.

Sure, Barzal had easier matchups but he didn't get to play with this year's Hart winner. Can you honestly say with a straight face that Hischier would have put up better numbers playing on the second line than he did with Hall?

Of course development isn't linear but why should we assume that Barzal just had a career year as a rookie while Hischier will double his production. I'm basing my statement on what has already happened and working from there. It seems like you're basing yours off of Barzal hitting his peak at 20 while Hischier was just scratching the surface at 19.

Hischier is definitely more likely to increase his production because it's a lot easier to break a 52 point career high than it is to break an 85 point career high. Barzal might have tougher matchups but he's also going to have better linemates and he's now "the guy" for the Islanders so everything is going to go through him. Hischier will almost certainly improve but he's also a valuable defensive forward so I just don't see him getting the matchups and scoring minutes to break 100.

I'm not even doubting that Hischier could be the better overall player when all is said and done. I just think its much more likely that Barzal hits 100 than Hischier.

Although they were both rookies, a year and a half of extra physical maturity definitely doesn't hurt. It was also only Hischier's second season playing in NA too.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with everything else .

Reactions: StoneHands

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Could be the fact that one player was 15 points shy from 100 while the other was 48 points short. Do you really believe Hischier has 100 point potential?

The kid was an 18 year old rookie and a 1st overall pick. Barzal didn't even crack the NHL at that point yet. Of course the guy has the potential to be as good or better as Barzal, I would think that's obvious. You're drastically undervaluing what that 2 draft years of difference means for kids this age. To score 52 points at his age is no small feat.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Examples, plural, because nothing is 100% this or 100% that. So there will always be exceptions.

And that example isn't even that strong since Matthews was on pace for 83-84 points if didn't miss time with injury. So it's not like your example saw a player finish over 30 points higher than the other (factoring in missed games), like is the case with Barzal and Hischier.

how many examples did you give to support your argument? examples "plural"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad