Barzal vs Hischier + Zacha

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
by being stronger

Right, based on what?

Barzal more than clearly has more lower body strength atm and I doubt hischier is too much of a beast in upper Body strength given his size. Not exactly the build of a bull at 6’1 175

Stronger on the puck? That would be a joke if you’re trying to argue that.

(I’m not knocking Nico, he’s great, just asking this clueless poster to explain his baseless statement)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So that automatically means Barzal was better than Hischier at 18?

No, just pointing out that just because a young player doesn't make the NHL doesn't mean he's not good enough.

Spit it out bud, quit playing both sides of the fence. We get it, you think Barzal did better in the WHL at 18 then Hischier did in the NHL at 18. Otherwise youre just arguing to argue in which case have a good one!

You must have really struggled with logic growing up, huh?

I don't think there is a clear answer to who was better at 18. Both were very impressive players. I'll say that at 16 it was clearly Barzal who was better, not that it's at all relevant.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Right, based on what?

Barzal more than clearly has more lower body strength atm and I doubt hischier is too much of a beast in upper Body strength given his size. Not exactly the build of a bull at 6’1 175

Stronger on the puck? That would be a joke if you’re trying to argue that.

(I’m not knocking Nico, he’s great, just asking this clueless poster to explain his baseless statement)

definitely. no reason to get upset though

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
stronger on the puck. Barzal is a great skater who can avoid hits and go around guys, but doesn't have the same fight or ability to stand people up and protect the puck + retain possession that Hischier has

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
stronger on the puck. Barzal is a great skater who can avoid hits and go around guys, but doesn't have the same fight or ability to stand people up and protect the puck + retain possession that Hischier has

So hischier is stronger on the puck than the guy who had a league best 1:12 of offensive zone puck possession per game... you don’t know what you’re talking about at all. Watch Barzal on the boards with the puck one time.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I have. Hischier is just stronger on and off the puck. Doesn't mean Barzal is bad though. Hischier is a tougher player and plays harder minutes while giving the puck up far less

No need to be upset

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I have. Hischier is just stronger on and off the puck. Doesn't mean Barzal is bad though. Hischier is a tougher player and plays harder minutes while giving the puck up far less

No need to be upset

Nobody is upset, you’re just talking out of your ass.

Instead of saying people are upset, why don’t you actually attempt to back up what you are saying

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Well I mean, he does play harder minutes and he does give up the puck far less.

No reason to get excited

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hischier is two years younger (which is a huge factor at these ages) and a 1st overall talent. As good as Barzal is, I'd be very surprised if Hischier isn't at least at his level in a few years.

Barzal is already a ppg center. Why would you want to take the younger player who has a chance to be at his level. Hischier isn't going to be a 100 point player. Barzal has 100 pt potential. He could improve in years to come.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Barzal is already a ppg center. Why would you want to take the younger player who has a chance to be at his level. Hischier isn't going to be a 100 point player. Barzal has 100 pt potential. He could improve in years to come.

I'd just love to hear your reasoning why Barzal has 100 point potential and Hischier does not.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Always a chance that Hischier improves rapidly and catches up but right now Barzal is the significantly better player and safer choice.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'd just love to hear your reasoning why Barzal has 100 point potential and Hischier does not.
Could be the fact that one player was 15 points shy from 100 while the other was 48 points short. Do you really believe Hischier has 100 point potential?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Could be the fact that one player was 15 points shy from 100 while the other was 48 points short. Do you really believe Hischier has 100 point potential?

Does someone really need to point out the flaw with this take? Or can you figure it out yourself?

For the record, I doubt either reaches 100 points in a season.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Does someone really need to point out the flaw with this take? Or can you figure it out yourself?
What is the flaw in saying that a guy that broke into the league and put up 85 points is more likely to hit 100 points than a guy that scored 52 last year? I doubt think either reach 100 points either but Barzal is clearly much closer to being that kind of player than Hischier at this point. Until Hischier proves that he can be an elite scorer and put up even close to a PPG, speculation that he can almost double his point totals while Barzal can't increase his by 15 is kind of silly.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hischier will be just as good so I will go with the extra asset in Zacha. Likely not going to be a good top 6 player but can still certainly be a good bottom 6er.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

For starters, age?

Also, Barzal had the luxury of Tavares taking matchups away. Hischier was getting matched up against the other team's top lines each night as an 18 year old.

And development/production is not linear, just because Barzal put up 85 points, who is to say this season wasn't an outlier? Then again, the same can be said for Hischier's success.

Of the two, Hischier is probably more likely to see substantial increase in his production than Barzal based on age and linemates alone. And 85 points is pretty difficult to reach as is.

But I don't disagree that Barzal will likely be be the higher point producer when all is said and done. But it's too early to say one way or the other for both players.

Edit - in reply to StoneHands

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
For starters, age?
I tend to look more at experience than age. They were both rookies and Barzal showed he could dominate the competition, Hischier did not. Obviously age is a factor but they're 1.5 years apart, it's not like Barzal was Panarin playing in a top pro league and put up big numbers as an older rookie.

Also, Barzal had the luxury of Tavares taking matchups away. Hischier was getting matched up against the other team's top lines each night as an 18 year old.
Sure, Barzal had easier matchups but he didn't get to play with this year's Hart winner. Can you honestly say with a straight face that Hischier would have put up better numbers playing on the second line than he did with Hall?

And development/production is not linear, just because Barzal put up 85 points, who is to say this season wasn't an outlier? Then again, the same can be said for Hischier's success.
Of course development isn't linear but why should we assume that Barzal just had a career year as a rookie while Hischier will double his production. I'm basing my statement on what has already happened and working from there. It seems like you're basing yours off of Barzal hitting his peak at 20 while Hischier was just scratching the surface at 19.

Of the two, Hischier is probably more likely to see substantial increase in his production than Barzal based on age and linemates alone. And 85 points is pretty difficult to reach as is.
Hischier is definitely more likely to increase his production because it's a lot easier to break a 52 point career high than it is to break an 85 point career high. Barzal might have tougher matchups but he's also going to have better linemates and he's now "the guy" for the Islanders so everything is going to go through him. Hischier will almost certainly improve but he's also a valuable defensive forward so I just don't see him getting the matchups and scoring minutes to break 100.

But I don't disagree that Barzal will likely be be the higher point producer when all is said and done. But it's too early to say one way or the other for both players.

Edit - in reply to StoneHands
I'm not even doubting that Hischier could be the better overall player when all is said and done. I just think its much more likely that Barzal hits 100 than Hischier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad