Barzal vs Hischier + Zacha

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
eh it depends if barzal last year is the actual barzal then him if not then nico+zacha.
Nico might be one of the better two way top picks in awhile, other then matthews cant think of a recent top 3 pick that had a notable two way game as a prospect, and hes shown it in the big league too.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Hischier is two years younger (which is a huge factor at these ages) and a 1st overall talent. As good as Barzal is, I'd be very surprised if Hischier isn't at least at his level in a few years.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Barzal. Are we supposed to pretend that adding a bottom 6 plug would put Hischier over the top?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hischier is really good. Him and Barzal should top out pretty close. I’ll vote the one with an extra player even if Zacha isn’t amazing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know people like to bring up what players did in their D+1 year to argue they'll be a better player, even in situations like this where Barzal's D+3 season was so good, but is there evidence that that actually is the case?

For example, a former 1st overall Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had a much, much better D+1 year than Claude Giroux. But he's never come close to matching Giroux's career peaks. So if you'd compared them in RNH's rookie year, anyone saying "yeah, Giroux had the better year, but just wait until RNH is older because his D+1 blew Giroux's out of the water" would look foolish now.

Are there more examples of cases where it suggests Hischier will end up better by virtue of him having a better D+1?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Barzal a year older than Nico
Different type players.

Both have loads of potential to be great for a long time.

Zacha still has a chance to be a solid 2nd liner, we will see.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I know people like to bring up what players did in their D+1 year to argue they'll be a better player, even in situations like this where Barzal's D+3 season was so good, but is there evidence that that actually is the case?

For example, a former 1st overall Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had a much, much better D+1 year than Claude Giroux. But he's never come close to matching Giroux's career peaks. So if you'd compared them in RNH's rookie year, anyone saying "yeah, Giroux had the better year, but just wait until RNH is older because his D+1 blew Giroux's out of the water" would look foolish now.

Are there more examples of cases where it suggests Hischier will end up better by virtue of him having a better D+1?
Are we supposed to just ignore the difference at their ages?

Hischier had a better D+1 AND it was only his second season on NA ice...

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I would take Barzal over Hischier rather easily. Zacha might not even be in the NHL in five years, he doesn't make any difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad