Barzal is a top-10 centre in the league, isnt he?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Who' legit better than him at this point? McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, Draisatl, Crosby, Petterson, O'Reilly, Point... who else? Maybe Malkin, Stamkos? Maybe Aho? Barkov?

Where do you rank him? I think at this point I put him ahead of Malkin, Stamkos, Aho and Barkov but behind all the other names.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan O’Reilly
Sean Couturier
Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby
Elias Pettersson
Brayden Point
Auston Matthews
Evgeni Malkin

I love Barzal but I don’t really see an argument for him being a better center than any of these guys.
Forgot about Matthews, yeah he's ahead of Barzal

I thought of Couturier and Bergeron but I'd say Barzal is at least on par with them moving forward. They are not getting any quicker, and while they are better defensively Barzal is much better at creating offence. He also dont have a Pastrnak or a Marchand next to him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
People will look at points and production and that’s fair but this kids talents are just unreal. Trotz has also made him a complete player. He’s a relentless puck hound and doesn’t stop working without the puck now. Offensively he’s a wizard and his skating is amount the very best in the world.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan O’Reilly
Sean Couturier
Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby

Elias Pettersson
Brayden Point
Auston Matthews
Evgeni Malkin

I love Barzal but I don’t really see an argument for him being a better center than any of these guys.

An argument can be made for him over these guys. And ROR is iffy too.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I remember when MacKinnons point totals dipped in his Sophomore season there were many writing him off and now he is being discussed in the same vein as McDavid.

Perhaps an Isles bias, but I do believe he has all the tools to be a top-5 C in the show. He isn't there yet but is only 23 and still learning, no one else in the league really plays the position the way he does, mainly due to his edge work and ability to literally turn on a dime at top speed.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan O’Reilly
Sean Couturier
Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby
Elias Pettersson
Brayden Point
Auston Matthews
Evgeni Malkin

Yeah, I feel like most "this guy is a top 'x' at his position" posts don't really consider who they're ranking him ahead. Great player, can't we leave it at that?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Ryan O’Reilly
Sean Couturier
Patrice Bergeron
Sidney Crosby
Elias Pettersson
Brayden Point
Auston Matthews
Evgeni Malkin

I feel like there's a few on that list there by reputation. Malkin, O'Reilly and Bergeron in particular. I think Barzal is better than Couturier and Pettersen as well

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You say "by reputation" and then list a bunch of players who have recently won cups...
well yes, and being on those teams adds a lot to their reputation. That is for good reason, but it also should make anyone wonder how much is from them and how much is from their team. It's not like Barzal has some of the elite talent around him that those other centers do.

And btw, I'm not saying anyone listed is a bad player. They are all great but any honest discussion of top 10 player should have some extreme standards and look at every angle

Reactions: Trojans86

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Not in the top 10 yet, but close. Another year or two and it'll be much tougher to argue he isnt, if things progress reasonably.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
well yes, and being on those teams adds a lot to their reputation. That is for good reason, but it also should make anyone wonder how much is from them and how much is from their team. It's not like Barzal has some of the elite talent around him that those other centers do.

And btw, I'm not saying anyone listed is a bad player. They are all great but any honest discussion of top 10 player should have some extreme standards and look at every angle
Sure.

I think a big thing that's amiss from a lot of these calculations though are just the player's ability to execute systems of hockey that win games. Far too many times when the question is asked "who is a top 10 X" in the league, the basic question being asked is "who is a top 10 regular season point scorer in the league?" And I think that kind of mentality is a bit misguided.

The goal of the season is to win the cup. And to do it recently. Players, I think, who've demonstrated the ability to do so should be valued highly.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Other than McDavid or MacKinnion, no one can hold onto the puck like he can in the offensive zone. (Kane is a winger).

Idk about top 10 juuuust yet but he's f***ing close.

Reactions: buud and Dominance

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Who' legit better than him at this point? McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, Draisatl, Crosby, Petterson, O'Reilly, Point... who else? Maybe Malkin, Stamkos? Maybe Aho? Barkov?

Where do you rank him? I think at this point I put him ahead of Malkin, Stamkos, Aho and Barkov but behind all the other names.

Get the guy a running mate. Barzal is a star that is about to take off. Top 10? Getting there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad