Barzal is a top-10 centre in the league, isnt he?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Forgot about Matthews, yeah he's ahead of Barzal

I thought of Couturier and Bergeron but I'd say Barzal is at least on par with them moving forward. They are not getting any quicker, and while they are better defensively Barzal is much better at creating offence. He also dont have a Pastrnak or a Marchand next to him.

An argument can be made for him over these guys. And ROR is iffy too.

I feel like there's a few on that list there by reputation. Malkin, O'Reilly and Bergeron in particular. I think Barzal is better than Couturier and Pettersen as well

What arguments are there that Barzal is better than Couturier, O'Reilly, or Bergeron? He scores the same or fewer points than they do, and they are literally the three Selke finalists. Let's hear those arguments.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Crosby was another one.

Will Barzal ever reach Crosby's heights as a player? Obviously not.

Will Barzal win three cups? Probably not.

Is he currently better than Crosby? A case can be made he is.
The case can be made that he's younger and healthier than Crosby. Thats it.

Lol Barzal over Crosby. What a joke.

Reactions: Regal

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I thought Tavares left because he wanted to be on a contender and wanted more money?
We would have overpaid him, glad he left. It was plain to see that Barzy was going to surpass him, it probably was a factor. I think there were toxic fumes emanating from his pool.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
IDK about top 10, but he is probably the best puck possession player I have ever seen.
Yup that’s for sure. Sure his points are down because the islanders play a more defensive system but get him a true sniper he’s probably good for over 80 points a season.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
As far as N.Y. hockey is concerned, right now it's definitely

1. Eichel
2a. Zibanejad
2b. Barzal

Zibanejad vs. Barzal is interesting because so much can change so soon. Does Barzal take the next step and become more productive?
Does Zibanejad continue where he left off last year by hitting something like 45 goals 95 pts in 20-21? Or was last reg. season a one-off where he was just really hot for the limited time he played.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

1. Eichel
2a. Zibanejad
2b. Barzal

Zibanejad vs. Barzal is interesting because so much can change so soon. Does Barzal take the next step and become more productive?
Does Zibanejad continue where he left off last year by hitting something like 45 goals 95 pts in 20-21? Or was last reg. season a one-off where he was just really hot for the limited time he played.
I know it has been said alot, but put Zibanejad on this Isles team and the way they are coached and 95pts is highly unlikely. There is a reason Barzals rookie season was his highest production.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Worth noting that Barzal put up a PPG his rookie season. In a more loose system he could def hit 100 points.

That said... close but not quite top ten.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

1. Eichel
2a. Zibanejad
2b. Barzal

Give Barzal a true sniper he might go to number one. Mika certainly benefits playing with Panarin.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
IMO there is a very distinct top 3
McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews

then the rest of the list can be put up to interpretation and anyone who puts anyone from Eichel to Barkov to ROR 4th, or rounds out the top 5 with Barzal, Point or Scheifele, you cant really complain about.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Well younger and healthier are important.

And for the bolded, a case can be made 2019-2020 Barzal was on Crosby's level.
Barzal is super dynamic, two stars going in different directions , a trade id make straight across right now.
Will he peak as hight as Crosby? Most don't but today i make that trade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In this playoffs I probably would take Barzal over all but a few centers - putting him just behind Point, McDavid, and Mackinnon. He's playing in a much more engaged and inspired way than he was when I saw him in the regular season. This is just a "what I'm seeing now" ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad