Speculation: Barrie to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Nylander is a non-starter. Leafs shouldn't be targeting Barrie. He can only be valued as a rental because he doesn't fit with the Leafs long term.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I would be appalled if the Leafs threw 8-9 million at Barrie in free agency let alone gave up valuable assets for the privilege. Not the type of guy we need other than being a RHD and wouldn't sniff the 60 points we'd be paying him for with Rielly in the top offensive role. I'd be shocked if there's any truth to this rumor and of Barrie is dealt with no extension these proposals are laughable, how long has it been since the Trouba trade?

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I would be appalled if the Leafs threw 8-9 million at Barrie in free agency let alone gave up valuable assets for the privilege. Not the type of guy we need other than being a RHD and wouldn't sniff the 60 points we'd be paying him for with Rielly in the top offensive role. I'd be shocked if there's any truth to this rumor and of Barrie is dealt with no extension these proposals are laughable, how long has it been since the Trouba trade?

This is probably why the Leafs haven't won the Cup in 50 years, too edge, look over and always afraid to make the jump. I do agree with you about Barrie. It is a media narrative here why would Sakic trade him when he could keep and use him to protect other players in the Seattle draft.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
This is probably why the Leafs haven't won the Cup in 50 years, too edge, look over and always afraid to make the jump. I do agree with you about Barrie. It is a media narrative here why would Sakic trade him when he could keep and use him to protect other players in the Seattle draft.

If by "afraid to jump" you mean not going all in to win I disagree pretty strongly. The Leafs have made innumerable win now moves the last couple of years that are likely to hurt them down the road and they haven't won a playoff round. Honestly they shouldn't be touching a rental with a 10 foot poll right now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
No idea how to embed a tweet but Howard Berger is saying the Leafs are going hard after Barrie.

I know he used to be on the FAN and in the Toronto media. Haven’t heard much of him lately so make of it what you will.

Berger commenting on hockey is about as useful as a crossing guard at a funeral

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
They cant afford him. What would they give up? Nylander?

EDIT
Maybe Afford is the wrong word to use. I mean the Leafs are extending Kapanen and Johnsson so it is unlikely they will be traded. Their 1st rounder gone, I don't see them doing Kadri for Barrie 1 for 1.

What would they give up?

Why can't they afford him????? Gardiner is probably done as well as Zaitsev

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Zaitsev gets traded for Ceci as rumoured, and Ceci is himself moved out as some are suggesting, the demand for Barrie would be even greater...

The idea below is pretty solid, even though the figures for Barrie are a bit on the low side. To sweeten the deal Colorado could also include a 50% retention on Barrie so Toronto have him for $2.75m next season.

The deal that makes sense is...

TO TOR
- Barrie (extended for 7 mil x 6)
- Jost

TO COL
- Nylander
- Kadri

The Leafs replace Nylander's money with a top-paring, or top-4 at the very least, defenseman who they have for the duration. Barrie also makes the PP more potent. In the process, the Leafs get a younger, cheaper C in Jost to replace Kadri. On a team like Toronto, Jost would thrive IMO. This leaves the Leafs a couple extra million of wiggle room to get more term on a huge Marner deal. This is quality asset management for the Leafs while rounding out their team for the better.

The Avs add serious offensive depth in this deal and have the cap room to do so, thanks to MacKinnon's and Landeskog's contracts, as well as the little money players like Makar and Girard will be making for what they contribute. They will still have money to pay Rantanen comfortably. This move gives the Avs two serious offensive lines and Makar + Byram can more than replace Barrie. Again, great asset management for them as well.

It's win-win trade.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
I don't buy this for a second. Barrie is a ufa next year, who has made it known to Sakic he wants to play for his hometown. In a bubble vacuum Barrie is worth more than Nylander, but being a rental I doubt the teturn will be over the top ATM. Im sure he'll fetch a haul at the TDL to a team that needs what he brings for a chance st a cup run.

Barrie will be a Nuck, either through trade or as a ufa next year. Barrie has never left BC and has made it known he'd prefer to sign with Van next summer.

What are you even going on about?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Do Leafs fans really believe they can get rid of Zaitsev without attaching something massive to him?
Interesting. Which team would you believe to be interested in him?

I personally believe he is a lock to be back in Toronto next season now that Dubas has already paid to make Marleau and his caphit go away. Highly doubt he will give up IMO even more to get rid off Zaitsev. Especially with their lack of RHD depth...

this aged well...lol

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
this aged well...lol

True. I did not anticipate Dorions stupidity combined with DJ Smith wanting to bring in his guys. Kudos to Dubas for being able to pull that off.

I mean atleast I somewhat called Barrie for Kadri in the same thread so I don't feel all too bad about it ;).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
True. I did not anticipate Dorions stupidity combined with DJ Smith wanting to bring in his guys. Kudos to Dubas for being able to pull that off.

I mean atleast I somewhat called Barrie for Kadri in the same thread so I don't feel all too bad about it ;).
In the Kadri thread...an Avs fan asked what it would take to get Kadri....i said probably Barrie, and lets just say he wasn't exactly polite about telling me how stupid i was....i won't name him, but i called it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad