Speculation: Barrie to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
No idea how to embed a tweet but Howard Berger is saying the Leafs are going hard after Barrie.

I know he used to be on the FAN and in the Toronto media. Haven’t heard much of him lately so make of it what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
They cant afford him. What would they give up? Nylander?

EDIT
Maybe Afford is the wrong word to use. I mean the Leafs are extending Kapanen and Johnsson so it is unlikely they will be traded. Their 1st rounder gone, I don't see them doing Kadri for Barrie 1 for 1.

What would they give up?

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Leafs went hard after every big D-man on the move. I'm not sure if they simply aren't offering enough compared to everybody else, or if GM's are expecting more from them consider their cap situation.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This isn’t a rumor that Barrie is going to Toronto

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Barrie the type of Dman that they need? Great offensive player and skater, but he is smallish, and play in his own end is not his forte.

Reactions: hn777

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He makes sense,have to wait to see what pieces would be involved however...As Barrie is a very good defender

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This sounds like it should be speculation instead of rumor.

Regardless, I'd be very happy with this if it happened.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakic is letting teams talk extension with Barrie. It’s a week away before he can be extended. If he can get a team to hammer out one, then the return will be pretty good.

Barrie extended does get you a Nylander.

Barrie not extended is probably a Kapanen and pick or maybe Kadri.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakic is letting teams talk extension with Barrie. It’s a week away before he can be extended. If he can get a team to hammer out one, then the return will be pretty good.

Barrie extended does get you a Nylander.

Barrie not extended is probably a Kapanen and pick or maybe Kadri.
Wait, you think Nylander has more value than Kadri? If I'm Toronto, I make Nylander available way before Kadri. I know some people are pissed at him over the playoffs, but he's probably the best 3C in the game, and a pretty good 2C when he needs to be, is dirt cheap, and has a unique combination of skill and grit that the Leafs will miss more than Nylanders wheels and hands.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They would not. Kadri is secured on a great team friendly deal. Barrie is one year from UFA and will surely demand at least 6.5

As has been said earlier, I'm sure that if teams are looking at trading for Barrie, they have permission to talk extension with him already. That would boost his value up considerably. And given his consistent scoring rate and recent contracts, I don't see how Barrie signs for under 7.5. That's what could really hold a team like the Leafs back.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They would not. Kadri is secured on a great team friendly deal. Barrie is one year from UFA and will surely demand at least 6.5
Oh for sure,there would have to be a contract in place on Barrie.....But Its something that would balance out the forwards and defense ,I mean Kadi is a top 6 center...And the leafs could replace him with a more traditional JGP type of 3rd line center,while gaining a top pairing OFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad