Line Combos: Barrie the right shot powerplay Quaterback!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Babcock doesn’t play him with Rielly on the point!

Better yet why are they never paired together at even strength!

We could roll out such a better lineup that is so much more competitive every night.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a starting five tomorrow of:
Barrie/Rielly
Mikheyev/Matthews/Marner

Barrie must be just lit up p!ssed.

The depth is in place there is no excuse for this not happening. Not that we can likely afford to sign Barrie for next season and beyond but why would he want to come back here tonplay for this coach. Babcock is actually driving down his negotiating power 8 games in and he doesn’t even have a goal.

We are being Bamboozled by the Babcock. What a terrible tactician this guy is! Is he exposed enough yet for every leaf fan!

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Barrie has impressed me in a lot of ways, but his offensive work isn't exactly one of them. I think Rielly is better, and there's only room for 1 defenseman on the top unit. Barrie should see more time with Rielly at 5v5 though

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Barrie has impressed me in a lot of ways, but his offensive work isn't exactly one of them. I think Rielly is better, and there's only room for 1 defenseman on the top unit. Barrie should see more time with Rielly at 5v5 though

We have a top pair with proper shots for the Babcock now and i figure if at any time we could use the traditional 2 demen and 3=forwards powerplay configurations again it is now.

Muzzy is very capable to go out on the second unit with the new present configuration of four forwards. Whats mome perplexing is that it is another tactical variable we never seen. Does this clown even coach? Same old, Same old.

The second unit could be strong also with Willy Kerfoot and Johnsson and spezza even taking net front and killing it in the faceoff circle.

Spezza must be questioning his decision to come play for us right about now too. So Barrie and Spezza definitely alienated and who’s next for the Babcock to screw ha.

he’s a complete tool i tell ya

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
With us being top heavy, it doesn't make sense to have two dmen on a single PP unit. Better off having two different units, with each QB (Mo & Barrie) on one.

Maybe in some spots like a 5 on 3 or something they can combine them occasionally but I'd be hesitant.

If JT and Nylander were both out for a period of time, maybe then I'd go Mo & Barrie on PP1.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Split the units when everyones healthy. Go 1 minute each

Matthew's, nylander and Barrie

Tavares, Marner, Rielly

4 spots distributed between mik, Aj, kap, Moore, spezza(when in), muzzin, kerfoot

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
With us being top heavy, it doesn't make sense to have two dmen on a single PP unit. Better off having two different units, with each QB (Mo & Barrie) on one.

Maybe in some spots like a 5 on 3 or something they can combine them occasionally but I'd be hesitant.

If JT and Nylander were both out for a period of time, maybe then I'd go Mo & Barrie on PP1.

Barrie is a great quarterback on the pp. he is pretty deadly at it actually. Someone posted today and I (don’t remember the thread) but they were wondering why we were giving up to many odd man rushes on the pp! I say its because forwards want to take chances and don’t make the right pinches as smartly as defensemen do. I have seen the poor detail on our powerplay.

Barrie has not been a concern defensively so far. He’s been good. The mantra that he is poor defensively just needs to take a look at what plays beside Rielly on his right side to end that thinking.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's already happening right now to Rielly-Ceci lol.

Worth a try at the least during the absence of Tavares. Ceci can be fresher for the pk we’ll say ha. Hasn’t even been sampled is beyond reason i believe. So much hasn’t been tried because The Babcock just isn’t innovative and has coached us to basically a .500 record for 60 games now. With this amount of talent, there should be flags popping up like its Canada day.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Barrie has been meh defensively so far, soft as a muffin, bad reads.
I agree. Defensively right now he's meh. For sure it's still early and he's learning tendencies so I can still give him some rope.

His instincts and skill is excellent but he's easily leaned on and not hard to get puck from him. Considering this thread is about PP, on the PP his offensive metrics aren't bad at all, but it's the high-danger attempts he's giving up (or teammates) while on PP as well as shots against that are bringing down his numbers.

PP metrics:

oiSH%

Rielly @ 23.08% vs. Barrie @ 9.09%

HDCA/60

Rielly @ 0 vs. Barrie @ 11.11

SCA/60

Rielly @ 2.49 vs. Barrie @ 14.81

xGA/60

Rielly @ 0.25 vs. Barrie @ 1.94

Reactions: DarkKnight

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Split the units when everyones healthy. Go 1 minute each

Matthew's, nylander and Barrie

Tavares, Marner, Rielly

4 spots distributed between mik, Aj, kap, Moore, spezza(when in), muzzin, kerfoot

Maybe play the unit that is preforming well a bit extra but I agree with your post.

If memory serves me right, we had a better pp 2 years ago when we ran 2 units.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I kinda wish we put muzzin out there and let him bomb from the point. I know hes not as fast and good with the puck as the other guys so we wont see it. We lack that big shot from the back end.

It's the only thing our pp lacks.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Haven’t seen it to disagree with ya bro

Maybe you'll see it later this year.

That's already happening right now to Rielly-Ceci lol.

Honestly if we can't get Rielly a legit top RHD to play with then you go for someone like a Hainsey that can babysit because Rielly is kind of poor defensively. A player like Pysyk instead of Ceci would be fine, he'd know his role.

Ceci isn't a defensive stalwart, we saw that already in Ottawa.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Rielly-Barrie would get caved in defensively by other teams top players.

To be fair, I've seen shifts where both Barrie and Muzzin miss their rotations on the same goal against and where they both pinch on the same ozone play. They're an adventure to say the least.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Nothing says caved in quite like having CF%, GF%, and xGF% all above 50 despite very heavy matchups

Ceci has the worst CF% on the team, aside from Marincin.

Ceci has the worst xGA/60 on the team, aside from Marincin.

Ceci allows 62 CA/60 and Rielly allows 60 CA/60.

A great tool to see Ceci's negative impact on his teammates: Cody Ceci - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

We're a great possession team, top-5 in fact. You have to use relative stats, or compare his stats to his teammates to realize how bad they actually are.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team has a lot of options for the PP. Barrie would certainly be a top PP option for some teams, but I wouldn't remove Rielly to accommodate Barrie on PP1. It doesn't seem like the team wants to abandon the 4F 1D approach either.

At even strength or 5 vs 5, Rielly-Barrie would best be a pairing in situations where offence is most needed, namely when trailing or tied.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Maybe play the unit that is preforming well a bit extra but I agree with your post.

If memory serves me right, we had a better pp 2 years ago when we ran 2 units.

I am so envious when I read some other teams PP time assignments. Washington, Buffalo, Florida and many more overloading their top guys with PP minutes.
If you have the horses load the first unit up and play the crap out of them. This is your advantage having high end talent.

If you are Montreal where PP1 and PP2 smells the same split up the time and play the hot hands.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To be fair, I've seen shifts where both Barrie and Muzzin miss their rotations on the same goal against and where they both pinch on the same ozone play. They're an adventure to say the least.

It's really early in the season but, I haven't seen an 8m player in Barrie yet. He looks like a rich mans Jake Gardiner in that he is more flashy, but the same sorts of mistakes are right there. It's no different.

Barrie has 4 pts and is -4 on the super elite leafs. -63 career

Jake Gardiner 2pts -1 on CAR. +9 career.

Persoanlly, I am leaning towards Barrie being an overrated product by the Colorado hype train. Yes +/- matters over a career, it gives an idea of overall influence a player has. Negative players are not good to have and Toronto has always brought in these guys and preached intangibles etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hustlr

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ceci has the worst CF% on the team, aside from Marincin.

Ceci has the worst xGA/60 on the team, aside from Marincin.

Ceci allows 62 CA/60 and Rielly allows 60 CA/60.

A great tool to see Ceci's negative impact on his teammates: Cody Ceci - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

We're a great possession team, top-5 in fact. You have to use relative stats, or compare his stats to his teammates to realize how bad they actually are.

1stly- thank-you for showing me that, best wowy tool I've seen since David Johnston got hired away from hockeystatsanalysis.

Rel stats are a garbage metric that dont take into account role and usage. They (Rielly-Ceci) have the hardest job, and are doing it. Other people getting better results at easier jobs doesn't make someone their results worse.

In a hard matchup systems like babs' all those numbers tell us is that Muzzin-Barrie is a better 2nd d pair than Rielly-ceci is a 1st pairing. Take a look at the opposition tool, compare Ceci's ice-time against the Larkin and Point lines vs. Barrie's

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Dont think it makes sense to play Rielly and Barrie together. Let one play with the Matthews line and the other play with Tavares

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Ive liked Muzzin Barrie dont see why we’d change just need a better partner for Rielly as per usual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad