Barrie Colts 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Especially if the Colts end up taking Svechnikov in the import draft I could see McBain signing with lots of scouts watching Svechnikov, McBain can piggy back off that similar to what Dylan Strome did when McDavid was in Erie.

Yeah, I think there's still a chance he's in Barrie. Maybe the 2018-19 season at the latest.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
From what I understand, father and son want to sign and play for Colts but mother is looking out for son’s future. That is good parenting on education side of things but in my mind a poor decision for the hockey side. I have always looked at it if a Canadian player has size and skills to play in CHL, with their education package to fall back on, it is still the best route to take to a pro career. NCAA is the chosen path most American players and those needing some time to develop.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
From what I understand, father and son want to sign and play for Colts but mother is looking out for son’s future. That is good parenting on education side of things but in my mind a poor decision for the hockey side. I have always looked at it if a Canadian player has size and skills to play in CHL, with their education package to fall back on, it is still the best route to take to a pro career. NCAA is the chosen path most American players and those needing some time to develop.

the only problem with moms view of sons future is that he will be a pro long before he graduates from any ncaa school so the point is mute...play in barrie in the ohl to prepare for the nhl career he is destined to be living...just dont get it feel bad for barrie

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
the only problem with moms view of sons future is that he will be a pro long before he graduates from any ncaa school so the point is mute...play in barrie in the ohl to prepare for the nhl career he is destined to be living...just dont get it feel bad for barrie

Agreed, sucks.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Well. Last game of the year tonight. Wouldn't mind a win to finish the season off on a high note. Lots of questions to be answered soon with the drafts coming up. Do they take Hughes and Svechnikov? Do they actually show up? Also in my season ticket renewal letter it talked about the possibility of Lipanov coming over. Gotta wonder what that can mean for Hedberg. Interesting times for the colts.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Well. Last game of the year tonight. Wouldn't mind a win to finish the season off on a high note. Lots of questions to be answered soon with the drafts coming up. Do they take Hughes and Svechnikov? Do they actually show up? Also in my season ticket renewal letter it talked about the possibility of Lipanov coming over. Gotta wonder what that can mean for Hedberg. Interesting times for the colts.

Yes they also mentioned it in this http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2017/03/17/last-place-barrie-club-hold-the-first-overall-pick-in-the-upcoming-ohl-priority-selection

The fact that they are even mentioning it probably means Hedberg wont be back, Which I'm fine with if we get Lipanov.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
"ALEX TURCOTTE, centre, Chicago Mission (HPHL)

His older brother, Alfie, was a first-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in 1983 and his father, Real, runs a stickhandling school in Michigan."

Wow, Turcotte's brother Alfie is a lot older than him! :laugh:
Good fact checking there.
Seriously I hope the Colts can get the likes of Hughes, McBain and Svechnikov in Barrie next season. That would be a lot of fun to watch.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

You know, I've never understand the "education" route unless you're going to Harvard, Yale etc. Really, is a degree from Boston College that much more prestigious than a degree from, say, Queens or McGill (both schools where his education would be paid for by Barrie)?? I highly doubt it.....

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
You know, I've never understand the "education" route unless you're going to Harvard, Yale etc. Really, is a degree from Boston College that much more prestigious than a degree from, say, Queens or McGill (both schools where his education would be paid for by Barrie)?? I highly doubt it.....

yes i totally agree and especially if you are a highend player and likely headed to the NHL, if not, its a pretty good deal to play in the canadian university league and an education as you stated

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It really depends. The Alumni associations for American schools are really much more powerful than in Canada, especially if you are a reasonably high profile graduating athlete.

It all depends on what they are going to school for and whether you are planning on relocating to the United States post graduation.

I have to admit that if I had a child that were recruited by an Ivy League school and was offered a 100% free ride guaranteed, I would be hard pressed to not encourage my child to go NCAA. An Ivy League Degree in something that is significant is a strong start, especially with the Alumni Associations.

That being said, many OHL teams offer private school options for high school through Sponsorship agreements. So, there is an advantage to that as well.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Well, tough year for sure but really enjoyed the progress of all of the guys, Look for Magwood and Chiodo to have big years next year. And if all of these rumours are true looks like the rebuild is over :laugh:

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Well, tough year for sure but really enjoyed the progress of all of the guys, Look for Magwood and Chiodo to have big years next year. And if all of these rumours are true looks like the rebuild is over :laugh:

Yeah really, Both Hughes brothers, Svechnikov and Lipanov really speeds things up. Hope it all works out and it could be a fun season in Barrie next year!

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Yeah really, Both Hughes brothers, Svechnikov and Lipanov really speeds things up. Hope it all works out and it could be a fun season in Barrie next year!

No so quick looks like Jack Hughes has the intentions to play for a US programme as per OHL insider soo we shall see

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Really is amazing how many stories there are. I can't figure out why the colts have such a hard time getting commitments lately. Have a decent arena, solid fanbase. Hall of Fame coach. Have been fairly successful on the ice and have sent a pretty good amount of players to the NHL since the last rebuild including 2 top 10 picks.

keepingscore

Jun 22, 2015
Really is amazing how many stories there are. I can't figure out why the colts have such a hard time getting commitments lately. Have a decent arena, solid fanbase. Hall of Fame coach. Have been fairly successful on the ice and have sent a pretty good amount of players to the NHL since the last rebuild including 2 top 10 picks.

Could it be the nepotism and political favors?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Totally agree Barrie would be an awesome place to play in the OHL. A lot of factors go into a big decision like this one but I would be all over an opportunity to play in Barrie if it was my kid. I think the NCAA is geared for the kids that want an education along with playing hockey. OHL is more for the education after hockey and you are done with your NHL dream.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I always have and will hate your f-ing team with a passion, but I really hope you guys A) get Hughes and B) he reports. I just wanna be able to watch him play 4 times a year (ala Ekblad) as he's a potential #1 NHL pick too in a few years. I really hope he isn't just trying to rat his way into playing in London.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I always have and will hate your f-ing team with a passion, but I really hope you guys A) get Hughes and B) he reports. I just wanna be able to watch him play 4 times a year (ala Ekblad) as he's a potential #1 NHL pick too in a few years. I really hope he isn't just trying to rat his way into playing in London.

I have an idea to stop the would report going to school London drafts him and low and behold he reports.
If the player that wont report, he would not be able to be drafted in the OHL by any team that year and the team gets a compensation pick.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
agree Naz, players need to declare their intentions. If the player declares they are going to the NCAA then they are not eleigible for the draft. Furthermore should said player change their mind and wish to renter into the CHL, they will not be allowed to do so until the following draft year.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie

Rite back at you. Lets get back to the days when we can "Spank those Wolves":yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad