Barrie Colts 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Not the way we wanted it to end, but a pretty fun season once again. Next year will be the quite a bit different with a large turnover in the roster.

OA's moving on:
Justin Scott
Kevin Labanc
Mike Webster

1996's likely moving on:
Dylan Sadowy - SJ
Rasmus Andersson - CGY
Andrew Mangiapane - CGY
MacKenzie Blackwood - NJ

So, at minimum there is 7 core players leaving, and Nattinen could be added to that list, but after how he performed in the playoffs once the games got tougher I wouldn't be shocked to see him back. Same could be said for Radke, as production dropped in the 2nd half, and was invisible in the playoffs, and I could see him back.

Colts also fairly deep in potential 1996 OA's for next year, and this number will need to be cut down to 3 eventually:

Greg DiTomaso
Josh Carrick
Keigan Goetz
Anthony Stefano
Cordell James

If I had to pick 3 out of this list it would be James, DiTomaso and Stefano. But with the Colts likely looking to recoup picks I could see any moved for the right deal.

With so much roster turnover its hard to predict what will happen this off-season, so it should be exciting. Looking forward to the continued rise of Murray, and seeing what the likes of Finoro, Magwood etc. can do with a bigger role. Lots of open spots so I expect a competitive rookie camp in a few weeks, as well as an important import draft in a few months.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Gotta think Radke's back next year. My OA's are Radke, Di Tomaso, James. I think you could get a pretty good return for Stefano. Hard decisions to be made, glad i'm not making them.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Gotta think Radke's back next year. My OA's are Radke, Di Tomaso, James. I think you could get a pretty good return for Stefano. Hard decisions to be made, glad i'm not making them.

That would be my choices as well, but if Radke is indeed back I think he'll want a trade and he should be the most valueable of the OA's.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Yeah or trade him, but looking a the Eastern conference next year it is extremely weak wouldn't be surprised if Barrie is between 4-7. Or higher depending on how the import draft goes.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
McBain taken in the USHL draft today. Still pretty confident he'll be in Barrie, but feels alot like Tortora last year.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Blackwood named OHL Goalie of the year. Gotta say, I'm a little surprised, but great to see him get the award.

The results were the closest I have seen in a long time. I too was a little surprised. I thought for sure that Williams was winning. Colts will be well represented at the awards ceremony.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Another award for a Colts player, this time Captain Michael Webster is this years recipient of the Mickey Renaud Trophy. I was amazed at his dedication off the ice in his fund raising efforts and his want to work with the youth with a Lifeskills type program. Congratulations on a well deserved award.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Can't recall the Colts getting this many awards. Nice to see for sure. Well deserved for Webster.

Looking ahead to next year, it appears American defenseman Chris Cameron has been signed, but nothing official yet. Thought he looked solid at the rookie camp.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Can't recall the Colts getting this many awards. Nice to see for sure. Well deserved for Webster.

Looking ahead to next year, it appears American defenseman Chris Cameron has been signed, but nothing official yet. Thought he looked solid at the rookie camp.

I didn't catch the rookie camp, who else stood out?

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I didn't catch the rookie camp, who else stood out?

On Defense I liked Cameron, Landry, Tucker, Gurney and Cassaro. For forwards McBain showed some elite vision and skill. Also liked Willms, DeSanctis, Peca, Heizner, Rhodes, and MacDougall. A few more decent looking free agents that I wouldn't mind seeing getting a main camp invite. Will have to look back at the roster for names. For goaltending Propp was very good, and should be able to lock up the backup position unless Blackwood returns, at least temporarily.

Should also mention Aidan Brown participated in the camp and after not seeing him in game action for a while it's clear he's worked on skating and his shot. Looking forward to seeing how he does next season.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
On Defense I liked Cameron, Landry, Tucker, Gurney and Cassaro. For forwards McBain showed some elite vision and skill. Also liked Willms, DeSanctis, Peca, Heizner, Rhodes, and MacDougall. A few more decent looking free agents that I wouldn't mind seeing getting a main camp invite. Will have to look back at the roster for names. For goaltending Propp was very good, and should be able to lock up the backup position unless Blackwood returns, at least temporarily.

Should also mention Aidan Brown participated in the camp and after not seeing him in game action for a while it's clear he's worked on skating and his shot. Looking forward to seeing how he does next season.

Very good, thanks. Gotta think Willms will be on the team next year had a very good jr B season.

Storm Proud

Oct 31, 2014
Philly

Rhodes older Brother plays for Guelph

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Sadowy's NHL rights traded to Detroit. Interesting move.
One article I read is that SJ has no intention of signing him so they got something rather than let him re-enter the draft. Yet they signes Lebanc this year? Long term i think Sadowy will be the better NHL player.

nyrcup94

Jul 14, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit site
Not the way we wanted it to end, but a pretty fun season once again. Next year will be the quite a bit different with a large turnover in the roster.

OA's moving on:
Justin Scott
Kevin Labanc
Mike Webster

1996's likely moving on:
Dylan Sadowy - SJ
Rasmus Andersson - CGY
Andrew Mangiapane - CGY
MacKenzie Blackwood - NJ

So, at minimum there is 7 core players leaving, and Nattinen could be added to that list, but after how he performed in the playoffs once the games got tougher I wouldn't be shocked to see him back. Same could be said for Radke, as production dropped in the 2nd half, and was invisible in the playoffs, and I could see him back.

Colts also fairly deep in potential 1996 OA's for next year, and this number will need to be cut down to 3 eventually:

Greg DiTomaso
Josh Carrick
Keigan Goetz
Anthony Stefano
Cordell James

If I had to pick 3 out of this list it would be James, DiTomaso and Stefano. But with the Colts likely looking to recoup picks I could see any moved for the right deal.

With so much roster turnover its hard to predict what will happen this off-season, so it should be exciting. Looking forward to the continued rise of Murray, and seeing what the likes of Finoro, Magwood etc. can do with a bigger role. Lots of open spots so I expect a competitive rookie camp in a few weeks, as well as an important import draft in a few months.

I read your post about Nattinen. Was he really bad in the playoffs or do you think that he had a tough time because it was his first year in the OHL? What do you think the future holds for Nattinen?

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I read your post about Nattinen. Was he really bad in the playoffs or do you think that he had a tough time because it was his first year in the OHL? What do you think the future holds for Nattinen?

I'm really not sure what happened but it appeared that he just mailed it in once the playoffs came. Don't think it's because of it being his first year in the OHL as he played pro in Finland before and had a strong World Junior tournament. Definelty think he has what it takes to become a good pro though, but needs another year of junior in my opinion.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Does Sam Dunn make the team next year?

I'm starting to think it's unlikely he'll be a Colt. Including potential OA's DiTomaso and Carrick there is 6 potential returning defensemen plus Landry and Cameron who are signed and Tucker who I expect will be signed soon.

That doesn't include a possible import selection coming either, but I'm thinking they go with a forward at that time.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I'm starting to think it's unlikely he'll be a Colt. Including potential OA's DiTomaso and Carrick there is 6 potential returning defensemen plus Landry and Cameron who are signed and Tucker who I expect will be signed soon.

That doesn't include a possible import selection coming either, but I'm thinking they go with a forward at that time.

Also with Cobourg hosting the RBC cup that will be pretty hard to pass up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad