Barrie Colts 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I guess I'll take a shot at the lineup..assuming Labanc is back.

Lemieux-Nattinen-Mangiapane
Labanc-Scott-Radke
Kreis-James-Hawerchuk
Carbonara-Blacksmith- Pastorius

Magwood, Allen, Willms and Brown could fight for a spot as well.

Defense is a little more difficult as there will most likely be some moves there before the season starts.

Andersson-Webster
Prophet-Murray
Gagnon-Kaura
Carrick

Then you have Brassard, Dunn, Ferraro that will be in the mix.

Lastly, for the Goalies

Blackwood (Obviously)
Badenhorst..unless someone earns the spot in camp.

Overall the team looks pretty good. I'd like to see maybe a 3rd line winger with some size and a top 4 defenseman brought in.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
How about this 3-way deal to try to get the remaining 1st round draft picks signed into the OHL:

Flint sends Barrie 6 draft picks to Barrie for Jacob Tortora (an American);

Barrie sends 6 draft picks to Kitchener for Greg Meireles;

Kitchener sends 6 draft picks to Flint for Ryan McLeod.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
how about this 3-way deal to try to get the remaining 1st round draft picks signed into the ohl:

Flint sends barrie 6 draft picks to barrie for jacob tortora (an american);

barrie sends 6 draft picks to kitchener for greg meireles;

kitchener sends 6 draft picks to flint for ryan mcleod.

done?

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
How about this 3-way deal to try to get the remaining 1st round draft picks signed into the OHL:

Flint sends Barrie 6 draft picks to Barrie for Jacob Tortora (an American);

Barrie sends 6 draft picks to Kitchener for Greg Meireles;

Kitchener sends 6 draft picks to Flint for Ryan McLeod.

I do agree with this since Meireles still has yet to commit to the Rangers. But as jason Ford said in this article http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sports/details.asp?c=82384

Jacob Tortora will be in the OHL in the next 1-2 years, so colts fans is he worth trading this year?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I do agree with this since Meireles still has yet to commit to the Rangers. But as jason Ford said in this article http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sports/details.asp?c=82384

Jacob Tortora will be in the OHL in the next 1-2 years, so colts fans is he worth trading this year?

Tortora signed with USNDP and is committed to Boston College so it's looking doubtful he'll be in the OHL in the next 1-2 years.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
You didn't read the article did you?

I did, and I'm not quite sure I buy what he said. He committed to USNDP after Barrie drafted him. If he wants to be in the OHL and not go to NCAA why wouldn't he have just signed with Barrie? While the USHL has certainly made very impressive strides I would still say the OHL has a higher quality of competition.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
I did, and I'm not quite sure I buy what he said. He committed to USNDP after Barrie drafted him. If he wants to be in the OHL and not go to NCAA why wouldn't he have just signed with Barrie? While the USHL has certainly made very impressive strides I would still say the OHL has a higher quality of competition.

Ok but Jason Ford said that he had a meeting with Jacobs father and his father said that Jacob would be coming to the OHL at some point and that he wont be going to BC and BC was just a "safety net"

Harky121*

Honestly I would love to receive those draft picks instead of getting a first round drafted player. The colts have lots of potential to make a big run this year and we are going to have to upgrade some areas of the team. Those draft picks are exactly what we need TRADE BAIT!

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Honestly I would love to receive those draft picks instead of getting a first round drafted player. The colts have lots of potential to make a big run this year and we are going to have to upgrade some areas of the team. Those draft picks are exactly what we need TRADE BAIT!

I agree

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Acquiring McCann would be nice especially since it has been pretty quiet on the Colts front. Adding McCann plus Julius Nattinen would be quite the boost to the roster. Here's hoping for some/any news regarding the 2016 Barrie Colts

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
I believe that the colts are 2 moves away from being a top 2 team, should and will add a top 6 forward and adding a top 4 defencemen would help

Harky121*

Colts fans we started out Team by Team Season Preview Series, and the Colts are up first,
Here's the link to our article, and if your at all interested each day we will be realizing another team preview,

http://overtimesportsnation.com/barrie-colts-season-preview/

He probably knows nothing about Labanc, he's just saying that cause he feels like it. Labanc is an extremely great player for his size and has sooooo much future potential. Do I think he's ready for the show? No. Labanc has many areas of improvement, especially his power. San Jose knows the OHL is probably the best league to develop a player through. Yea they saw the numbers he put up and may think hes ready, but I belive of they send him to the AHL he would kind of get stuck there. In my opinion Labanc should be sent back to Barrie for his overage year when he can develop all of those areas he may lack in before he goes to the AHL or NHL where there is much larger faster and quicker players, . He could possibly finish of his memories in the OHL in a good way but possibly winning an OHL championship, with a very skilled team along side him. This way Labanc will have sooo much confidence in himself and improved the areas he may lack in.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I saw the Barrie Colts and Kevin Labanc play 18 times last season, I have a pretty good read on Labanc. The area's Labanc needs to improve and continue to develop are all things the AHL would be ideal for. When you put up 107 points you've proved quite a bit, and at 20 years old and an NHL prospect your 9 times out of 10 expected to start your pro career. Labanc will find out quickly a need to get stronger early on his AHL career, while he'll be expected to improve his defensive play.

The AHL is a developmental league as much as its a pro league, organizations are willing to deal with some slight development flaws and give youngsters some rope as far as mistakes go in hopes the mistake is a teaching moment for the prospect .The San Jose Sharks are also fairly thin as far as top prospects go, which is another reason he's likely to turn pro. There's no chance Labanc is ready for "The Show" I never said that, but he is ready to move up to the AHL. Also Labanc isn't stuck in the AHL as a 20 year old, players have returned after stays in the AHL to the OHL, Alex Lepkowski (a former Colt) is actually the last one I can remember when he joined the Generals prior to the 2013-2014 OHL trade deadline after beginning the season with the Rochester Americans.

However with that all being said, it wouldn't completely shock me to see him back, but in my eyes its 80/20 in favor of him turning pro.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Kreis traded to Saginaw for 2 3rd round picks, and a 6th round pick according to Steven Sweet. Fair return I think. Colts definitely need an upgrade for the 3rd line now though, unless there is a surprise at camp.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Kreis traded to Saginaw for 2 3rd round picks, and a 6th round pick according to Steven Sweet. Fair return I think. Colts definitely need an upgrade for the 3rd line now though, unless there is a surprise at camp.

Great return value for colts its pretty much Prophet for Kreis if you think back to the trade early last year, interesting who is going to be on the 3rd line now.

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Great return value for colts its pretty much Prophet for Kreis if you think back to the trade early last year, interesting who is going to be on the 3rd line now.

Fair return ? I suppose based on his play as a Colt. Great return UMMMH not from the perspective of this was your 1st overall pick from a coule of years ago!!

For those that are counting -

2015 1st round pick - not reporting (yet) = Jacob Tortora
2014 1st round pick traded = Givani Smith
2013 1st round pick traded = Matthew Kreis
2012 1st round pick traded = Brendan Perlini
2011 1st round pick = EKBLAD
2011 1ST round pick traded = Alexander Yuill
2010 1st round pick traded = Kerby Rychel
2009 1st round pick traded = Ryan Strome

anyway, just stating the facts.

Last edited:

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Fair return ? I suppose based on his play as a Colt. Great return UMMMH not from the perspective of this was your 1st overall pick from a coule of years ago!!

For those that are counting -

2015 1st round pick - not reporting (yet) = Jacob Tortora
2014 1st round pick traded = Givani Smith
2013 1st round pick traded = Matthew Kreis
2012 1st round pick traded = Brendan Perlini
2011 1st round pick = EKBLAD
2011 1ST round pick traded = Alexander Yuill
2010 1st round pick traded = Kerby Rychel
2009 1st round pick traded = Ryan Strome

anyway, just stating the facts.

Well 2009 with Strome, 2012 with Perlini were years where they went on a run to the final..many teams in the same situation would do the same. Rychel and Tortora didn't report. Not yet anyway with Tortora.
Yuill was traded to get Hooey..which improved the team..so worth it imo.

Will say I would have liked to have kept Smith and from what I heard the Colts wanted to keep Kreis but he wanted a chance elsewhere.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Well 2009 with Strome, 2012 with Perlini were years where they went on a run to the final..many teams in the same situation would do the same. Rychel and Tortora didn't report. Not yet anyway with Tortora.
Yuill was traded to get Hooey..which improved the team..so worth it imo.

Will say I would have liked to have kept Smith and from what I heard the Colts wanted to keep Kreis but he wanted a chance elsewhere.

I haven't heard anything but maybe the Icedogs have a deal cooking for Tortora. Niagara must be due to trade for your 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad