Barrie Colts 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
So, tell me Colts fans, are you tired of Lemieux's act yet? His lack of personal discipline is atrocious. You cannot deny his ability as a hockey player but it is high time he grew up, put the team concerns first and not his own agenda.

Good luck with him...

CheckU

Nov 30, 2011
If we were to say the the Colts were going to make it to the second round, after the disasterous October, no one would have believed it. The boys turned it around, and deserve a lot of credit for that.

So on to the guessing game. Here are my OA's predictions for next year.

Justin Scott - Great break out year, and well deserving.
Michael Webster - Much improved this year, back story say he stays a Colt
Kevin Labanc - Late birthday, suspect he signs with SJS, but comes back
Stephen Nosad - Hard worker, and good guy, but only comes back if SJS keeps Labanc, or Labanc gets moved

Gone:
Blandisi
Hooey
Laser
Harpur
Gibl
Bauman
Nosad / Labanc - Possible, if Labanc does sign, he gets moved for picks

Others possibly gone:
Carrick - Just does not have the skill to stay in the line-up
Kreis - Late season improvement. Is that enough to keep this 1st rounder around

Draft 2015 Predictions:
Mangiapane - Great season, deserving of being drafted but could slip to later rounds
Radke - Always liked his play. Showed potential when opportunity arose
Andersson - Will get drafted, my guess mid to late rounds

My concern next year will be surrounding the leadership on the team. Lemieux will be back regardless of what he says. He is a terrible team mate, and with him being the senior veteran, no one is safe, poor rookies.

I think we have a good group of guys for next year, with a strong draft class, and if they could move Lemieux and possibly Labanc for decent players and high picks, our future is certainly looking bright.

Last edited:

Greatger

May 11, 2007
So, tell me Colts fans, are you tired of Lemieux's act yet? His lack of personal discipline is atrocious. You cannot deny his ability as a hockey player but it is high time he grew up, put the team concerns first and not his own agenda.

Good luck with him...

How fitting for Lemieux and Blandisi get kicked out before they have to shake hands. Terrible sportsmanship
Blandisi USC
Lemieux USC and abuse of official x2

OlZamMan

Apr 10, 2012

Good luck with him...

Yet? Don't know who you've been talking to, we were tired of him a very long time ago.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
If we were to say the the Colts were going to make it to the second round, after the disasterous October, no one would have believed it. The boys turned it around, and deserve a lot of credit for that.

So on to the guessing game. Here are my OA's predictions for next year.

Justin Scott - Great break out year, and well deserving.
Michael Webster - Much improved this year, back story say he stays a Colt
Kevin Labanc - Late birthday, suspect he signs with SJS, but comes back
Stephen Nosad - Hard worker, and good guy, but only comes back if SJS keeps Labanc, or Labanc gets moved

Gone:
Blandisi
Hooey
Laser
Harpur
Gibl
Bauman
Nosad / Labanc - Possible, if Labanc does sign, he gets moved for picks

Others possibly gone:
Carrick - Just does not have the skill to stay in the line-up
Kreis - Late season improvement. Is that enough to keep this 1st rounder around

Draft 2015 Predictions:
Mangiapane - Great season, deserving of being drafted but could slip to later rounds
Radke - Always liked his play. Showed potential when opportunity arose
Andersson - Will get drafted, my guess mid to late rounds

My concern next year will be surrounding the leadership on the team. Lemieux will be back regardless of what he says. He is a terrible team mate, and with him being the senior veteran, no one is safe, poor rookies.

I think we have a good group of guys for next year, with a strong draft class, and if they could move Lemieux and possibly Labanc for decent players and high picks, our future is certainly looking bright.

Good post. I agree with almost all of that. As you said Webster and Scott will definitely be back as OA's and if Labanc is back, which I'd say is a 50/50 chance right now, he'll be the 3rd OA. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they go with just 2 until they can bring in a better option such as someone like Garlent.

Carrick I agree that I can't see him returing. Much like the Clutsam situation this year, he just doesnt seem to be developing.

Kreis improved a lot late in the season, and I think he will be given a chance at a top 6 role to start, and hopefully does well there.

Lastly, I agree regarding Lemieux. The additude is not good. unless that changes significantly he won't help the team.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Good post. I agree with almost all of that. As you said Webster and Scott will definitely be back as OA's and if Labanc is back, which I'd say is a 50/50 chance right now, he'll be the 3rd OA. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they go with just 2 until they can bring in a better option such as someone like Garlent.

Carrick I agree that I can't see him returing. Much like the Clutsam situation this year, he just doesnt seem to be developing.

Kreis improved a lot late in the season, and I think he will be given a chance at a top 6 role to start, and hopefully does well there.

Lastly, I agree regarding Lemieux. The additude is not good. unless that changes significantly he won't help the team.

I wouldn't expect Garlent to move, he will be back with the Petes. Likely wearing the 'C' too.

hockeyfan3930

Mar 22, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if Kries gets traded actually. he has some improvement but not first rounder improvement or impact. maybe it'll be like Smith, once traded game steps up.. could get a decent return for him if teams see potential for what would be three more years in the league.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Lemieux receives 5 game suspension per OHL site. Does that sound about right?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sorry to be the one to bring bad news Colts fans:

"@YtownPhantoms: #PHANTOMS TENDER TORTORA || Anderson Cup Champions use 1st Round Selection on Dynamic Forward http://t.co/cVyvaMBeiy http://t.co/bJbHYSUqJS"

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Not really surprised. He still could be here. Worst case they get the 1st rounder back next year in what will probably be a rebuilding of retooling year in 2016-17.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Not really surprised. He still could be here. Worst case they get the 1st rounder back next year in what will probably be a rebuilding of retooling year in 2016-17.

Worst care scenario is no extra pick. The only way that you get an extra 1st is if you release him or trade his rights. He has no value not in the league and no one releases a player they took 4 months ago. Tough situation.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Not sure if the 'worst case scenario' applies here...

The OHL has a rule where a player who does not report to training camp in August can be labelled as having “defected,†and the team gets a compensatory pick if the youngster is traded before Sept. 15.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Barrie can't find a 'taker' for this player (a trading partner) wouldn't they be stuck with just owning his rights?

If he's determined to play in the USHL wouldn't they be stuck with him....

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Not sure if the 'worst case scenario' applies here...

The OHL has a rule where a player who does not report to training camp in August can be labelled as having “defected,†and the team gets a compensatory pick if the youngster is traded before Sept. 15.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Barrie can't find a 'taker' for this player (a trading partner) wouldn't they be stuck with just owning his rights?

If he's determined to play in the USHL wouldn't they be stuck with him....

Correct, unless they simply outright released him, then they would get a worse pick next year (one later) and no player. Odd decision by Barrie to take him if he wasn't committed.

CheckU

Nov 30, 2011
Worst care scenario is no extra pick. The only way that you get an extra 1st is if you release him or trade his rights. He has no value not in the league and no one releases a player they took 4 months ago. Tough situation.

Not really, if he does not report, as most likely, the draft pick can be declared defective, and allowing another first round pick the following year.

It does seem strange, that the player would come all the way up to Barrie, participate in a photo opp, and tweet out support, only to sign elsewhere.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Not really, if he does not report, as most likely, the draft pick can be declared defective, and allowing another first round pick the following year.

The only way to get the extra pick is to release or trade the player.

The OHL has a rule where a player who does not report to training camp in August can be labelled as having “defected,” and the team gets a compensatory pick if the youngster is traded before Sept. 15.

You don't get the pick just because he doesnt show up, he can't be on your reserve list after that date. Can't believe the strategy was to draft him to release him 4 months later.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

It does seem strange, that the player would come all the way up to Barrie, participate in a photo opp, and tweet out support, only to sign elsewhere.

The term used in the OHL is defected not defective (there is nothing wrong with him)...
As far as I know he has signed a tender with Youngstown which is a way of getting a player lined up ahead of their draft which starts tonight.
It is a good indicator he will sign with them as they don't like to waste draft picks... Each team can sign two players to tenders ahead of the draft. As he is US born and only 5'6" its probably his best option...
London picked a 1st rounder (Jones I believe) last year who didn't sign with them. The have his rights should he decide to come to the OHL. The Knights didn't get a compensation pick for him..
As for doing photo ops and tweeting...that means zilch. The Spits have had that done to them more than once (one guy was Schmaltz). Some players like the notoriety of being picked in the 1st but fail to come as they indicated to the team....

mouse 29

Apr 11, 2013
Barrie
Nice conversation and dialogue. But realistically the Colts Would have traded him anyway as that is there way.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Do you expect Daniel Gibl back next season? Regardless, I think he'll be known as the last OHL import goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad