Recalled/Assigned: Barrie back to Lake Erie

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
O'Byrne is terrible at puck retrieval. By far the worst on the team. He is slow and struggles to settle the puck down. Forecheckers put him under pressure all the time.

I think you and me don't have the same definition of what puck retrieval is. To me it's just getting to pucks quickly and getting ready to move it or beating opponents to 50/50 pucks. Not wrestling the puck from an opponent.

Fair enough, O'Byrne is obviously bad at anything that involves moving :laugh:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still laugh thinking about Vigneault's strategy of getting the puck to O'Byrne and then having his forecheckers block all passing lanes. In one game last year they literally surrounded him, one guy even doing a spin to avoid actually hitting him. It was a brilliant tactic that worked to a T--the Avs offense completely sputtered that night.

Still can't believe there's a guy on Twitter who says both Zanon and O'Byrne have great puck skills. I'm thinking about blocking the guy because of asinine statements like that. :laugh:

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
0-4-0 since Barrie was sent down.
Outscored 20-9.
Outshot 132-119.

He was scratched vs San Jose and Chicago, but we most definitely could have used him lately...

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
0-4-0 since Barrie was sent down.
Outscored 20-9.
Outshot 132-119.

He was scratched vs San Jose and Chicago, but we most definitely could have used him lately...

Sacco is a master in the ways of the tank.

Nothing like an unwarranted demotion for a player that seemed well-liked by all, to extinguish any hopes of this team getting on a roll and try to make a playoff push.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
#Avalanche leaning towards calling up D man from Lake Erie. Barrie is best guess obviously. Wilson likely back on IR

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Probably Sullivan coming up. If he is injured then Pöck or Carey coming up. Trying to mold Carey into a D-man or something

Need more veterans.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This defense is so glaringly bad at transition, you'd think that Sacco/management would be able to see that Barrie is a possible answer to that problem.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This defense is so glaringly bad at transition, you'd think that Sacco/management would be able to see that Barrie is a possible answer to that problem.

Sacco said just over a week ago that Barrie was seventh/eighth on the depth chart. He'll probably stick Barrie in the press box out of pride/stubbornness.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sacco said just over a week ago that Barrie was seventh/eighth on the depth chart. He'll probably stick Barrie in the press box out of pride/stubbornness.

Its **** like this that should get this ass clowned fire. Seriously Barrie is behind Hunwick, Zanon and ROB? Seriously. Based on what? Age? Barrie is better then all 3 of these morons.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Barrie gets another chance to prove himself to Sacco, good things will come :handclap:

He already did. It's not about merit. It's about trust. For some reason Sacco don't trust Barrie to make mistakes while having endless patience with terrible play from the scrubs.

I think the worse your possession game becomes the more you ask your defenders to clog the lanes and block shots. So using Zanon and O'Byrne reinforces the need to use Zanon and O'Byrne.

Meanwhile, in reality we have a positive shot differential with Barrie/Wilson/EJ/O'Brien on the ice and a negative one with Zanon/Hunwick/O'Byrne. Possession and offense is effective defense.

Coaches are stubborn. They have their guys and their set ways. Carlyle is doing the exact same thing as Sacco with Gardiner.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Post/beatwriters have pimped their Barrie article about 10-15 times today on twitter.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
He already did. It's not about merit. It's about trust. For some reason Sacco don't trust Barrie to make mistakes while having endless patience with terrible play from the scrubs.

I think the worse your possession game becomes the more you ask your defenders to clog the lanes and block shots. So using Zanon and O'Byrne reinforces the need to use Zanon and O'Byrne.

Meanwhile, in reality we have a positive shot differential with Barrie/Wilson/EJ/O'Brien on the ice and a negative one with Zanon/Hunwick/O'Byrne. Possession and offense is effective defense.

Coaches are stubborn. They have their guys and their set ways. Carlyle is doing the exact same thing as Sacco with Gardiner.

Yeah I've seen this happen this season. As soon as we start playing defensively we start losing. Mostly because of the players you mentioned. Offense has been our strongest weapon. But you can't play 60 minutes of offense either.. I wouldn't blame it all on Sacco though because it's our defensemen who keep losing the games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Only difference is Toronto management actually is getting thrashed by the media for not calling up Jake Gardiner, not playing John-Michael Liles, etc.

The Avs management probably focuses on how the Nuggets will play next game and asks themselves who Tyson Barrie is

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Very good post. Kind of a good way to stay employed if you're a shot-blocker I suppose.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Please No. No more rollercoaster for Barrie.

You can bet he will be back to LEM as soon as Wilson is healthy again. And I really do not want to see that. Just keep him away from this "!§!"*'"§! moron named Sacco. Just pray that we have a new coach next year and than Barrie can really start fresh.

We are tanking anyways. Why make sensible moves now?

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
Only difference is Toronto management actually is getting thrashed by the media for not calling up Jake Gardiner, not playing John-Michael Liles, etc.

The Avs management probably focuses on how the Nuggets will play next game and asks themselves who Tyson Barrie is

That's a problem with our media. The Avs writers wold rather cry about ex players and write ****** pieces on an imaginary rift between Duchene and O'Reilly than actually focusing on the current team. The only current news we seem to get is Dater complaining about Stastny, Kizla begging for Burke to be hired (and last year saying how it's a good idea to trade Duchene), and Chambers telling us Duchene didn't invite O'Reilly to the Nuggets game.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly, I'd rather give Gaunce a callup to see what he has in him at the NHL level over Barrie right now.

This team is already a complete disaster, even Barrie cant save them. I would rather Barrie stay in the AHL and get to really work on his game. But most importantly I would rather keep Barrie far away from the Clown.

Bring Gaunce up and see if his defensive game is good enough for the NHL. If its not we should ship him as well at the deadline for a pick or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad