Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

AHL TV will be free for opening weekend (with account creation), which should include the Barracuda opener on 10/17 @ Bakersfield.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
First game for the Barracuda at 5 PM. Game is watchable for free on AHL TV.

Scratches look to be Blichfeld, Hamaliuk, Meloche and B. Pasichnuk.

Here's the lines, not sure why Hamaliuk is on there under the forward lines:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
First game for the Barracuda at 5 PM. Game is watchable for free on AHL TV.

Scratches look to be Blichfeld, Hamaliuk, Meloche and B. Pasichnuk.

Here's the lines, not sure why Hamaliuk is on there under the forward lines:

scratched Blichfeld and Pasichnuk seems surprising.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
0-0 end of first period. I think Leonard was by far the best forward on either team. Gambrel gets knocked to the ice too easily, but he looks more in his element here. R. Merks had a pedestrian first 5 minutes but looked much better the rest of the period. Cuda closed out the period on the power play and he does look really really good there. Kniazev was steady, fairly quiet and my personal favorite Cicek plays a very positionally solid game.
Best summary I can give is the Cuda played worse than the sum of their parts, opposite of the Sharks last night. Their passing does not look overly crisp to me. Lots of nice individual play but not impressive team play. Anyway, a rather vanilla period.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
1-0 Condors. Cuda took three penalties this period, killed off first two, and let the condors collapse them in on the third, giving up a clean PP goal. R. Merks played well aside from taking one of the penalties. I wonder if he’d be better served by more talent around him. He did have a good period on his detail work aside from the penalty. Kniazev was solid. And #89 Haglebachs was the best Cuda forward. Cuda passing was far more sharp this period, lots of very nice precise passing. Cuda lead in the shots category 23-11. They will start the third on a left over power play. Could have sworn I saw the official with his arm up as the 2nd period ended, maybe an abbreviated 5 on 3 coming? Anyway, Cuda looked like a better team last period, but three PK’s in a row were brutal and two were basically back to back.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Are there any sites to actually see AHL stats? The official site seems to only have like 8 statistical categories, and one of them is not even TOI which seems bizarre to me.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yikes the effort by the forwards with the extra skater was really ugly. No urgency or effort to be found, easy as could be for the Condors to get the puck out of the zone.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Yikes the effort by the forwards with the extra skater was really ugly. No urgency or effort to be found, easy as could be for the Condors to get the puck out of the zone.

I felt like we lacked urgency in the offensive zone in general. I liked our defensive play, but it was one of those games where we put up 30+ shots and never really felt like a threat.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Yeah, that was terrible to watch. That is how teams play when down by 5 goals with 30 seconds left, not when a goal would tie it up.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Cuda fall 1-0. Game of quantity over quality, more than doubled up the shot total, like 36-15, but didn’t really look like dangerous shots. Condors goalie is a big kid who had a good game, but not a lot of dangerous shots or chances by the Cuda.

Aside from one or two gaffes, I thought R. Merks played a really solid two way game. He made a lot of little smart, cerebral type plays. As we all know he isn’t physically imposing so not like we will see him absorb a lot of hits to make a play, but again, really solid game by Merks and Kniazev was quietly effective, nothing overly flashy but he was effective.

Cuda felt like a lot of finesse, sharp passes and good puck possession in periods 2 and 3, but obviously no finish. As I mentioned in an earlier post Gambrel looks to be more in his element here and Leonard flashed a number of times. Raska drew a big penalty in the third as he cruised through the slot, got pulled down. I forgot Raska was even playing in the first, but popped a bit in the second and third.

Part goalie having a good game, but more of lack of Cuda finish cost them the game. Noticed a fair number of low risk chances.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, that was terrible to watch. That is how teams play when down by 5 goals with 30 seconds left, not when a goal would tie it up.

Yeah exactly

I felt like we lacked urgency in the offensive zone in general. I liked our defensive play, but it was one of those games where we put up 30+ shots and never really felt like a threat.

Totally agree, since you watch a lot more AHL games than me, was this abnormal compared to last year, or did this look familiar? The lack of offensive zone urgency that is.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
They'll have games like this now and then. It wasn't an encouraging game, but I'm not too worried.

Ok so not really "the norm" in your experience. Was worried it might be a coaching thing, but it was the first game of the year, so makes sense things were a bit messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad