Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The Barracuda should be strong to start the season. Guys like Merkley and Chemelevski are very close to breaking the big team, and Leonard, Gregor, and Blichfeld have scored at this level. The goaltending may be iffy though.

I feel like they're going to give Melnichuk a lot of rope, and hopefully he shows some improvement because he wasn't impressive last season.

But Zach Sawchenko has been quietly been a steady option in net. I feel like some people will lose their minds if Melnichuk winds up sitting too often, but I would love to see if Sawchenko can handle more playtime.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Orlando is expecting to maybe get some guys from the Barracuda again. Any clues on which guys may need an ECHL assignment?

Goalie Zachary Emond, plus the AHL-contracted forwards (basically the same guys as last year).

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Orlando is expecting to maybe get some guys from the Barracuda again. Any clues on which guys may need an ECHL assignment?
These are the guys on AHL deals and the most likely to be sent to Orlando.
C Kyle Topping
RW Steen Pasichnuk
C Krystof Hrabik
LW Joe Garreffa
RW Evan Weinger
D Nick Cicke
D Montana Onyebuchi
D Cole Moberg

A couple of guys on NHL deals might get sent down, but it's hard to know at this time.

Reactions: NiWa

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Goalie Zachary Emond, plus the AHL-contracted forwards (basically the same guys as last year).
Orlando seems fully stocked with goalies. Clint Windsor and Amir Miftakhov. The Crunch are also considering signing Eamon McAdam as a third AHL goalie.

The Solar Bears could use RHD for sure, which Onyebuchi is.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
1st intermission report:

Without the benefit of stats in front of me, felt like Cuda spent majority of the period pinned back in their zone. They didn’t look super engaged for much of the period. With that said, Cicek #59 and #43 Leonard, Looked to be the two best players on the ice that period. I really liked 59’s game even excluding the goal had good detail work and made smart plays. Leonard had really good two way play. Again, too much time in their own zone though. Their 1 PK looked sharp and their one PP had really nice puck movement. Kniazev collided under friendly fire and gave up the two on one for the goal against. Mel’s goal was given up cleanly over his left shoulder from what I saw. More of a pinpoint perfect shot than poor goalie play. Looks like they sat / scratched R. Merks today, Nick is playing though. Sasha, Kellman, and Gregor all relatively invisible to me. Really really liked the period Cicek and Leonard just played.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
2nd intermission report

yuck. Started the first 2 min of the period in their own zone it seemed like, and it went downhill from there. Melnichuk not getting a lot of help around him. Way too much time in their own zone. Cicek was still the best Cuda player on the ice. Kniazev had a rough period. You can see the skills he just needs seasoning. Cuda spent much of that period in their zone, too much time and it cost them. Showed some push back near the end of the period. Onyebuchi showing some spark and fiesty near the end of the period. Again, think Cicek is the best Cuda out there

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Worth noting, Kniazev had a much better third period. For the third he was deployed with Onyebuchi and would pinch in the O zone, but hustled and was the first guy back on D with solid positioning. His skating is super smooth. His third period was very solid, and what I had hoped to see all game. Who is that Cicek kid? Really liked his game a lot. He was the best Cuda player on the ice all three periods. Not even counting his goal, he was still the best player. Thought he played a very smart two way D game. He would pinch and hold the zone where appropriate, but erred on getting back to play D. I was very impressed. I thought Leonard played a very solid two way game and was the best forward throughout.

Maybe it was an altitude issue or a hangover from their collapse the night before, the Cuda looked a step slow and sluggish. Oddly, watching in real time, I felt like they struggled 5 on 5 but looked much better on the PP and even on the PK. I thought Melnichuk played better than the box score would lead you to believe.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Did not see an announcement as to who was sent where or loaned where, however, the main page for the Barracuda has seen a roster update since I last checked it this morning. Glad to see Cicek made the team! The kid looked like a gamer to my eyes. He is my under the radar adopt a rookie!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and NiWa

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I’m excited to see the D pairings. Assuming handedness, complimentary play style, and experience factor in so….

Megna - Merkley
Kniazev - Alt
Cicek - Meloche

I see Megna and Alt as more of a steadying influence for Merkley and Kniazev. Meloche will undoubtedly start, so curious to see if he is with Pash or Cicek.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I’m excited to see the D pairings. Assuming handedness, complimentary play style, and experience factor in so….

Megna - Merkley
Kniazev - Alt
Cicek - Meloche

I see Megna and Alt as more of a steadying influence for Merkley and Kniazev. Meloche will undoubtedly start, so curious to see if he is with Pash or Cicek.

Pash to ECHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks LS. Did you see where the Cuda were assigned? I checked ECHL transactions earlier and no dice.

Never mind - Orlando - helps if I had read further

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad