Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
for those who watch the cuda, are they playing like the dumpster fire the sharks resemble or is there structure and execution?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
CH twins on the bottom 2 lines is disheartening. What the hell is happening with Chmelevski?

Think we're going to need to be a little more patient than we expected with Chekhovich/Chmelevski. They're just starting at the pro level and I don't want to judge them based off the few games they've had so far, but this is what it's been:

Chmelevski occasionally shows flashes of skill, but no production. He more or less disappears for most of the game, then gets the puck once per game and wows you with a couple moves and that's about it. Chekhovich more or less looks like "Goldobin lite" so far, doesn't help he has basically the same build and jersey number. Gets the puck on his stick, tries to deke his way into the zone, loses it. The two of them just haven't looked like they're in sync with the rest of the team.

It might just be a matter of needing time to adjust for both, though. Blichfeld's finally breaking out today with two goals, might be a matter of time for them. It is a little weird that both looked like AHL world-beaters when they first came out of junior, and now not so much, but who knows.

Kind of annoying that we have two of these morning games (since as a season ticket holder they're part of my ticket package) being that I've got work and can't attend. No idea how Simek's looking at the moment.

Reactions: Internazionale

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
it's a real bummer that chem and Chek are having trouble adjusting. They were so effective in the AHL before. I wonder what happened.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
for those who watch the cuda, are they playing like the dumpster fire the sharks resemble or is there structure and execution?

I would say they haven't been bad structure-wise with the exception of when they play Ontario so far. The Reign seem like they've got a gameplan that the Cuda cannot figure out. Both those games have sucked to watch from an entertainment standpoint too.

Last edited:
Reactions: one2gamble

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just wanted to post this. They have 1 point each having played 5 (Chem) and 6 (Chek) games. Not what I expected.

Young kids will have their struggles from time to time. At least they've shown the talent at points. They have to get used to the grind and increase in competition and the increase in the consistency in competition level. I'm confident it will come in time for those two. The AHL is a good place for them right now but DW should've prepared the NHL club for this probability.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
it's a real bummer that chem and Chek are having trouble adjusting. They were so effective in the AHL before. I wonder what happened.

They came in at a different time, probably were a lot fresher than the competition, etc. A lot of it is coaching...now that they are in the AHL full time, Sommer's going to be trying to get them to be more well-rounded, play his system, etc.

What I've noticed, as a very cautious and caveated rule-of-thumb, is that if a player is going to be an impactful NHL forward (not top-6, but first-line caliber....think Pavelski or Couture), he has to light up one of the lower leagues (preferably the AHL and at least a PPG) at a young age. Pavelski did it. Couture did it. It isn't a 1:1 correlation; look at where Timo Meier and Dylan Sadowy are. But, it is the trajectory I would like to see.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What I've noticed, as a very cautious and caveated rule-of-thumb, is that if a player is going to be an impactful NHL forward (not top-6, but first-line caliber....think Pavelski or Couture), he has to light up one of the lower leagues (preferably the AHL and at least a PPG) at a young age. Pavelski did it. Couture did it. It isn't a 1:1 correlation; look at where Timo Meier and Dylan Sadowy are. But, it is the trajectory I would like to see.

LaBanc was also over a PPG in the AHL.

I really thought Chmelevski would really light things up so I have been really disappointed there. He had a rough preseason, looks like he is in his own head but the abilities are all there. I really thought he would separate himself from the pack but that never happened. I am happy that Blich is showing up because C + C have been a let down.

Last edited:

Shakes sharks

Oct 31, 2019
Sasha Chmelevski has been disappointing, not notice able and looking behind the play almost every shift and Ivan get the pucks then get pushed off by stronger opponent. We have to take the Detroit red wings approach and let them develop b/c they have tools.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Shakes sharks

Oct 31, 2019
Bergmann, Lean has produce every game but i hope the sharks don't call him up yet. He needs to works on others aspect of his game but a legit guy. Blichfeld, Joachim shots is nhl ready but he needs to be more involved in the plays more.

Reactions: hn777 and Sandisfan

Shakes sharks

Oct 31, 2019
Halbgewachs, Jayden is fun to watch, very confident always holding on to the pucks but no end product will hold him back from the nhl. Kellman, Joel is solid and will get a looks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Shakes sharks

Oct 31, 2019
Labanc production in the ahl don't tell the whole story. He was dominant on almost every shift. As of now, no one stand out on the cuda. The truth we are in trouble no impact players going to help us any time soon.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I completely agree with the last 3 posts from Shakes Sharks. I will add:

Halbgewachs is tiny. He is a playmaking winger that plays an outside game. He doesn’t go to the “dirty” areas. He will never be a NHL 4th liner. You can’t put him on Jumbo’s wing because he’s worthless in the corners and on the cycle. It’s top 6 or nothing and I don’t think he has enough skill to overcome his size.

Blichfeld wasn’t impactful the 2 games I saw with him on True’s wing. He looked much better last game with Bergmann and Kellman. He was much more involved with the play and scored 2 goals. He is tall and lanky so I hope he is spending lots of time with Mike Potenza.

Bergmann is strong in the corners and in puck battles. He’s fast enough to get where he needs to be and is a good with puck possession. I think he has a good chance to be a bottom 6 NHL winger. He might make a good complimentary top 6 guy but I don’t see him as a 20 goal scorer. I think the Sharks see the same thing. He plays the point on PP#2 while his line mates play up front on PP#1. Given the Sharks have Melker, Goodrow, Sorensen, Radil, and Brodzinski as bottom 6 wingers, I think they will leave Bergmann where he is to round out the details in his game.

Kellman plays a complete game. He’s on the small side but he goes to the corners and the front of the net. He is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. He doesn’t really hold the puck or dangle. Instead he gets the puck and sends it where it needs to be. He’s playing 1st line center and in all situations. If Gambrell gets moved up the lineup, Kellman could get called up to play 4c. If nobody claims the spot on Hertl’s wing, the may eventually give him a try.

Personally, the next guy that I think deserves a shot is Brodzinski. He showed just as much with the Cuda as any of these guys and I think his skill set is perfect for Jumbo’s right wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NiWa

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Think we're going to need to be a little more patient than we expected with Chekhovich/Chmelevski. They're just starting at the pro level and I don't want to judge them based off the few games they've had so far, but this is what it's been:

Chmelevski occasionally shows flashes of skill, but no production. He more or less disappears for most of the game, then gets the puck once per game and wows you with a couple moves and that's about it. Chekhovich more or less looks like "Goldobin lite" so far, doesn't help he has basically the same build and jersey number. Gets the puck on his stick, tries to deke his way into the zone, loses it. The two of them just haven't looked like they're in sync with the rest of the team.

It might just be a matter of needing time to adjust for both, though. Blichfeld's finally breaking out today with two goals, might be a matter of time for them. It is a little weird that both looked like AHL world-beaters when they first came out of junior, and now not so much, but who knows.

Kind of annoying that we have two of these morning games (since as a season ticket holder they're part of my ticket package) being that I've got work and can't attend. No idea how Simek's looking at the moment.

Great write-up, thank you. They were both our best 2 prospects not long ago and seem to have been overtaken. I just hope they continue to develop in a positive way and put up the numbers they are capable of.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Few interesting things:
Chmelevski and Yurtaiken scratched, Suomela back in as 4C, also no Simek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad