Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I was at the game. Chekhovich was 1st star only because he scored the go ahead goal. It was a great snipe but it was also puck luck where he was alone in the high slot and the puck bounced to him out of nowhere. Other than that play, he was a complete non factor. He and Chmelevski were on the same line. I’m curious to see the stats because they didn’t seem to get very much ice time.

Gregor - Kellman - Brodzinski was the top line and looked like it. If the Sharks called up a forward tomorrow, I would expect it to be one of those 3.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I was at the game. Chekhovich was 1st star only because he scored the go ahead goal. It was a great snipe but it was also puck luck where he was alone in the high slot and the puck bounced to him out of nowhere. Other than that play, he was a complete non factor. He and Chmelevski were on the same line. I’m curious to see the stats because they didn’t seem to get very much ice time.

Gregor - Kellman - Brodzinski was the top line and looked like it. If the Sharks called up a forward tomorrow, I would expect it to be one of those 3.
Sometimes, that’s all it takes.
Case in point, Barclay Goodrow, he didn’t play very well against Vegas in game 7, didn’t get much ice time but when it was needed, he scored the series winning goal.
He will go down in the annals of Sharks history.

Reactions: Phu

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I mean not only that, it looked like Bakersfield's goalie injured himself trying to save Chekhovich's shot, then the Condors didn't bother subbing him out after the trainer talked to him. Bizarre scene at the end there when he was basically unable to skate to the bench to get pulled for the extra skater.

edit: To clarify for anyone who didn't see, since this was a really odd part of today's game, Chekhovich scored, and the trainer was immediately over to check on Starrett (Bako goalie). They left him in. Last minute and a half and Starrett seemed reluctant to go to the bench, then got the signal and headed over at maybe quarter speed. Next stoppage he was helped off the ice and their backup suited up to sit on the bench with the net remaining empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Starrett may have been reluctant to give up his net. Just speculating.

In an ideal world, he would have been treated (and taken off the ice) immediately after being injured.

What's his nationality? Born in Massachusetts. So language isn't an excuse.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Starrett may have been reluctant to give up his net. Just speculating.

In an ideal world, he would have been treated (and taken off the ice) immediately after being injured.

What's his nationality? Born in Massachusetts. So language isn't an excuse.

He didn't start moving towards the bench, and once he started skating there he could barely move, is what I'm saying. I think he was hoping for a stoppage which never came. He'd already been in the net for roughly two minutes between the goal and this.

After he sat down:

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
He didn't start moving towards the bench, and once he started skating there he could barely move, is what I'm saying. I think he was hoping for a stoppage which never came. He'd already been in the net for roughly two minutes between the goal and this.

After he sat down:

The whole scenario was odd. Woodcroft didn't have a quick trigger at all calling him to the bench. I would have expected the call to come much quicker once Bakersfield gained the zone, but he kept waiting. And when he did call, as you point out, Starrett could barely reach the bench. He was obviously in a lot of discomfort after the goal. Maybe he told the trainer he'd be fine getting back to the bench when they pulled him? I don't know - it was just a strange deal.

Reactions: DrSanchez

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
It's still very early but I'd say he's the most consistently good forward on the team to this point (including preseason). Seems like every line he gets put onto is a productive one.
If it wasn't for Gambrell all of a sudden doing that to the Sharks 4th line, I would have liked to see him become a center for our 4th line in a couple months or next season. He could be a good option when Thronton retires, or as an aggressive, forechecking 3rd or 4th line winger.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If it wasn't for Gambrell all of a sudden doing that to the Sharks 4th line, I would have liked to see him become a center for our 4th line in a couple months or next season. He could be a good option when Thronton retires, or as an aggressive, forechecking 3rd or 4th line winger.
I think we are going to have alot of challengers for that 3C spot in the future. Alotta strong two way centers in our system with that potential

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
If the Sharks needed a center right now, I think Kellman would get the call. He centered Gregor and Brodzinski yesterday. He played on both the PK and the PP. When the Cuda had 4 out (offsetting minors) to protect a 1 goal lead at the end of the game Kellman got sent out to take the face off with McCarthy on his wing.

I think Gregor played well and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was called up. I just think the Sharks brass has Kellman higher right now when it comes to the center position.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If the Sharks needed a center right now, I think Kellman would get the call. He centered Gregor and Brodzinski yesterday. He played on both the PK and the PP. When the Cuda had 4 out (offsetting minors) to protect a 1 goal lead at the end of the game Kellman got sent out to take the face off with McCarthy on his wing.

I think Gregor played well and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was called up. I just think the Sharks brass has Kellman higher right now when it comes to the center position.

how does Kellman look, generally? What’s his game like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad