Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Haven’t kept up with the Cuda much. Anybody have an opinion on why Korenar has regressed so much?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Haven’t kept up with the Cuda much. Anybody have an opinion on why Korenar has regressed so much?

Some very porous defense made his stats look worse than they were in the beginning.

Lately there's not much to say other than opponents are getting open shots, and he's not stopping them. Not quite to the degree of the recently-demoted Shortridge, but still.

Coincidence or not, he hasn't had a save percentage over .900 for any game since Nabokov went up to the NHL.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Cuda hosting Reign tonight.

Chased starter in 2nd after giving up 6 goals. Cuda successfully killed double minor and 2min 5 on 3, plus set franchise record with 5 goals in 2nd period.

8-0 after 40.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I remember people were excited about the Barracuda this season with the infusion of talent coming in and they're dead last in the AHL. DW and the fans really overestimated the prospects. But seriously though we can't find one middle six fwd out of all these guys? We can't find one decent goalie in the entire org?

Reactions: themelkman

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Where in the world did that come from.

We were just all over them. Reign couldn't get anything going, let themselves get unhinged very early. Sawchenko barely got tested, but hey, he stopped everything. Can't say I've seen anyone else playing goalie down here do that lately.

Gambrell (4 pts) and Blichfeld (2 goals) probably had the best games of all the forwards, I'd guess one of them gets the recall. Six (!) other Barracuda forwards had two points on the night.

That suite with all the org suits in it was just jam packed tonight. Never seen so many people in it. Maybe some of the Cuda players noticed that a forward spot just opened up with the big club.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
This thread seems to ask about Chekhovich on a weekly basis, and I'm sure it'll ask again soon. He's been terrible. He's not even dressed on a regular basis anymore and might now have been passed on the depth chart by Manny Wiederer.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
I'm not a contracts expert... why aren't guys like Gregoire and Sawchenko signed to contracts by the Sharks? Do the Sharks own their rights or are they free to sign with any NHL team that offers a contract?

Last edited:
Reactions: lakai17

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm not a contracts expert... why aren't guys like Gregoire and Sawchenko signed to contracts by the Sharks? Do the Sharks own their rights or are they free to sign with any NHL team that offers a contract?

NHL teams are limited to a max of 50 (active) NHL contracts. That includes all players signed except 18 or 19 year olds playing in the Canadian Hockey League. Sharks are currently at 49 active contracts, plus five guys in the CHL.

So, the Sharks have expanded the # of guys on AHL deals in recent years; some are lower end or signed-from-rookie-tournament prospects, others are journeymen signed for depth/injury call ups (and spend their time in the ECHL). These players are in the organization's depth chart (which is limited to 90 -- guys under contract, drafted guys in college/USHL/CHL/Europe, guys on AHL deals). Sharks currently have 8 AHL deals. (McCarthy was on AHL deal, mainly because he accepted his role as captain in AHL team and didn't have to deal with the possibility of being claimed on waivers after a NHL call up or season opening waivers for assignment to AHL.)

Nominally, these guys can be offered a NHL deal by another team, but realistically, you ask permission from the NHL team.
Sharks signed on-AHL-contract goalie Brian Boucher for their backup mid-season, but did so by asking NHL Philadelphia if they could.
Sharks have lost at least one guy who signed a NHL deal towards the end of the season (in a window allowed by his contract) for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad