Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So is Sommer gonna be in the NHL for the rest of the season or just temporarily until Boughner finds other AC?

Until new NHL head coach is named/hired (and he names new assistants). Could be tomorrow, or next month or summer 2020.

I haven't seen quotes from DW how long search might take.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Did someone tell him he got a promotion, go down to the bench and let him know

I heard on the radio after the game that they called him mid afternoon and told him he would get 'called up' after the Barracuda game, and he let the team know around 5:15 that he would be coaching the game and then become an asst. for the Sharks.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
There is no way Sommer should be anything other than an assistant coach in the NHL his strength is development not winning games.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
SAN JOSE BARRACUDA ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO COACHING STAFF | San Jose Barracuda

Barracuda announce their coaching staff changes (after "call up" of Sommer, Ricci, Nabokov).
Jimmy Bonneau and Michael Chiasson will serve as interim co-coaches for the Barracuda.

With former head coach Roy Sommer, development coach Mike Ricci and goaltending coach Evgeni Nabokov being elevated to the San Jose Sharks coaching staff, the Barracuda will also be including members of the Sharks hockey operations staff such as Bryan Marchment, Ryan Hamilton and others in their player development program.

Good to see Mush getting more involved. Don't know that I know Hamilton.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
In today's episode of the In the Reef podcast, Nick Nollenberger & the Teal Town USA crew discuss Barracuda head coach Roy Sommer's promotion to the NHL after 21+ years and how the surging Trevor Carrick and Jonny Brodzinski are getting comfortable to life in teal. A really fun and loose 20-minute conversation that will get you ready for today's game versus Stockton!
In The Reef - Episode 5 - San Jose Barracuda Winning Again - Teal Town USA

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Couple new guys up in the box with the suits. John McCarthy’s up there (scratched tonight) and a guy in a hat I think might be Joel Ward. A guy on twitter says he saw him at SAP today too.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Couple new guys up in the box with the suits. John McCarthy’s up there (scratched tonight) and a guy in a hat I think might be Joel Ward. A guy on twitter says he saw him at SAP today too.

Just following up on this, that was definitely Ward in the box. Walked past him on my way out the door and he was talking to a suit.

Chekhovich looked good today for the first time all season that I can remember. Scored his second of the season, it was a good one too. Hope that continues and this isn't a one-off.

So for anyone asking about Gregoire's defense, this here is basically worst-case scenario when he's out there:

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I'd been wondering what was going on with JMac for a while now, sad to see this was the answer.

Hope the health issues are nothing serious, but it's great to see him stay with the organization.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Well I'm bored this afternoon, here's a random write-up of stuff.

Barracuda seem like they're getting worse as the season is progressing, which is a little alarming. Three things which a passing glance at the box scores won't tell you, just in case anyone's wondering what's going on down here:

1. It's easy to point at the goaltending, but I would've defended them up until these past couple of weeks. Defense had been hanging them out to dry far too much. Lately, though, it's been getting pretty awful, especially in the last two games. Shortridge just absolutely can not stop anything lately- allowed 5 goals on 10 shots yesterday, and came on in relief on Friday and allowed 3 goals on 7 shots. Wasn't rebounds or anything yesterday either, he was just not stopping the initial shots. It's not sinking the team by itself, but it's not helping.

2. The Barracuda penalty kill is the worst in the league. Literally, dead last at 76.2% as of this post. McCarthy's been our best penalty killer for the past couple seasons, but obviously we won't have that going forward. Weinger was also one of our best in 18-19, but he's been scratched more often than not. If there's a silver lining, it's that the Barracuda are the third-least penalized team in the AHL.

3. This is kind of a big one. The defense is a major step down from last season, on both ends of the ice. Gregoire's putting up points, but nobody else is. DeSimone got injured for a bit and came back, but not only is his offense down, he is making some mindblowingly bad blunders on the ice (see below). He's always had games where he's error prone, but it doesn't seem like he's having games where he's error-free anymore. It's gotten too scrambly in the defensive zone, and I think the fact that the forwards aren't the most defensively capable bunch isn't helping. Guys are just unmarked in high danger areas on a far too regular basis. The only guy I feel good about in the defensive zone consistently is Meloche, but he combines that with a Justin Braun-esque point shot.

While I'm talking about the defense, I'm scratching my head at a Sheng Peng tweet from the other day where he asked the coaching staff about Jeremy Roy being a healthy scratch lately. I'm not sure why Roy would be a healthy scratch, I was sure he's been injured. He's not been amazing, but there's been nothing so wrong with him that he's deserved to sit for seven straight games.

DeSimone's latest wtf moment from Sunday:

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Well I'm bored this afternoon, here's a random write-up of stuff.

Barracuda seem like they're getting worse as the season is progressing, which is a little alarming. Three things which a passing glance at the box scores won't tell you, just in case anyone's wondering what's going on down here:

1. It's easy to point at the goaltending, but I would've defended them up until these past couple of weeks. Defense had been hanging them out to dry far too much. Lately, though, it's been getting pretty awful, especially in the last two games. Shortridge just absolutely can not stop anything lately- allowed 5 goals on 10 shots yesterday, and came on in relief on Friday and allowed 3 goals on 7 shots. Wasn't rebounds or anything yesterday either, he was just not stopping the initial shots. It's not sinking the team by itself, but it's not helping.

2. The Barracuda penalty kill is the worst in the league. Literally, dead last at 76.2% as of this post. McCarthy's been our best penalty killer for the past couple seasons, but obviously we won't have that going forward. Weinger was also one of our best in 18-19, but he's been scratched more often than not. If there's a silver lining, it's that the Barracuda are the third-least penalized team in the AHL.

3. This is kind of a big one. The defense is a major step down from last season, on both ends of the ice. Gregoire's putting up points, but nobody else is. DeSimone got injured for a bit and came back, but not only is his offense down, he is making some mindblowingly bad blunders on the ice (see below). He's always had games where he's error prone, but it doesn't seem like he's having games where he's error-free anymore. It's gotten too scrambly in the defensive zone, and I think the fact that the forwards aren't the most defensively capable bunch isn't helping. Guys are just unmarked in high danger areas on a far too regular basis. The only guy I feel good about in the defensive zone consistently is Meloche, but he combines that with a Justin Braun-esque point shot.

While I'm talking about the defense, I'm scratching my head at a Sheng Peng tweet from the other day where he asked the coaching staff about Jeremy Roy being a healthy scratch lately. I'm not sure why Roy would be a healthy scratch, I was sure he's been injured. He's not been amazing, but there's been nothing so wrong with him that he's deserved to sit for seven straight games.

DeSimone's latest wtf moment from Sunday:

Good write up, thank you.

I heard somewhere that the cuda where going to change the style/systems to match what she
NHL sharks are playing. And that this would / could happen by early January. Is it possible that
this is a result of a new way to play?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Good write up, thank you.

I heard somewhere that the cuda where going to change the style/systems to match what she
NHL sharks are playing. And that this would / could happen by early January. Is it possible that
this is a result of a new way to play?

Well, there hasn't been much of a notable change in their style so far. Sure hoping this play lately isn't it. The downturn in goalie play sort of coincides with DeBoer's departure, though that seems pretty coincidental.

The defense's offensive woes (if that makes sense) has been a year-long thing. Boughner and company seem like they've tightened up the defense somewhat for the Sharks. Meanwhile the Barracuda defense is doing anything but tightening up. They're almost regressing to the early December Sharks with a bad penalty kill on top of it.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I suspect that DeSimone knows his time in SJ is done, and that's resulting in his poor play. Pure speculation...but based on his AHL stats, I'm sure he feels he deserves a callup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad