Barkov vs Pettersson

Barkov vs Pettersson

• Total voters

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Holymakinaw and BayStreetBully trolling the Canucks! Where’s IPS and Hollywood North?
We are not worthy!
:laugh:

Tbh you can rip others all you want but saying you wouldn’t trade a guy after 30 games for anyone in the league not named mcdavid is a little premature. That’s coming from a guy who’s basically watched every Petterson nhl game.

I mean that’s subjective, it’s an individual choice, your decision so I can’t get on uou or tell you your wrong, and I’m definitely not going to say he’s a flavour of the month but there are quite a few players that Petterson may not be able to touch in a couple years. Rookie years fine, we’ve seen tons of rookies come and go and be amazing and we’ve seen lots of tremendous elite talent in the nhl hVe mediocre rookie years so not everything this based on projection. Only time will tell, but that’s not something anyone is willing to give EP, how many more polls....has he been compared to Tavares yet? Lol

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
LOL this poll gave the Christmas giggles. Barkov AINEC, like stratosphere’s away.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
At 19 years old:

Alex Barkov: 36 points in 71 games played

Elias Pettersson: 36 points in 32 games played

This season:

Alex Barkov: -9

Elias Pettersson: +9

The good old age argument....

Give me the proven (for more than 30 games superstar). It’s not like Barkov is old and can’t get better either.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Given Barkov's offensive production as a PPG player over the past couple of seasons, coupled with his unquestionably elite defensive game (like, best in the league elite), two of three conditions would have to be required in order for someone to even think about taking Pettersson in this poll.

1). You would have to believe that Pettersson is going to be one of the top two or three most dominant offensive forces in this league for the forseeable future, enough to create a significant gap between himself and the level Barkov is currently occupying. Thinking along the lines of a consistent threat to go between 100-110 points in a season.

then:

2). You have to believe that Barkov won't improve signifcantly, if at all, on the offensive end over the coming years. This seems highly unlikely, given Barkov's age, and the fact that he hasn't had the best cast of linemates to this point either.

or

3.) You would have to belive that Pettersson will himself an elite defensive forward as well, maybe not on Barkov's level, but enough to mitigate the gap.

This is where it could get dicey - while his intelligence and stick work does some credence to the idea that he will be an excellent two-way threat down the line, Pettersson's frame and strength levels are so underdeveloped that it becomes damn near impossible to discern where he'll actually end up in this facet. It all depends on where he actually tops out physically, and more importantly, how he's able to use the newfound strength.

Odds aren't great, but it's totally possible that Pettersson ends up a better player than Barkov. If I was starting a franchise from scratch, I'd still probably take Barkov, given that his floor is a dominant two-way center that can anchor your first line for 10 years.

However, I could absolutely see someone taking Pettersson as a pure gamble on his offensive upside, which I do think surpasses Barkov's.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
As an obvious Barkov fan I can say that this will be very close Petterrson has all the tools to be as good or better. But now it clearly not close in favor of Barkov. The future will tell

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Given Barkov's offensive production as a PPG player over the past couple of seasons, coupled with his unquestionably elite defensive game (like, best in the league elite), two of three conditions would have to be required in order for someone to even think about taking Pettersson in this poll.

1). You would have to believe that Pettersson is going to be one of the top two or three most dominant offensive forces in this league for the forseeable future, enough to create a significant gap between himself and the level Barkov is currently occupying. Thinking along the lines of a consistent threat to go between 100-110 points in a season.

then:

2). You have to believe that Barkov won't improve signifcantly, if at all, on the offensive end over the coming years. This seems highly unlikely, given Barkov's age, and the fact that he hasn't had the best cast of linemates to this point either.

or

3.) You would have to belive that Pettersson will himself an elite defensive forward as well, maybe not on Barkov's level, but enough to mitigate the gap.

This is where it could get dicey - while his intelligence and stick work does some credence to the idea that he will be an excellent two-way threat down the line, Pettersson's frame and strength levels are so underdeveloped that it becomes damn near impossible to discern where he'll actually end up in this facet. It all depends on where he actually tops out physically, and more importantly, how he's able to use the newfound strength.

Odds aren't great, but it's totally possible that Pettersson ends up a better player than Barkov. If I was starting a franchise from scratch, I'd still probably take Barkov, given that his floor is a dominant two-way center that can anchor your first line for 10 years.

However, I could absolutely see someone taking Pettersson as a pure gamble on his offensive upside, which I do think surpasses Barkov's.

1) and 3) are correct.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Of course you guys will deny that. So don’t go around and criticize the Canucks fan base when they say that they wouldn’t trade Pettersson for McDavid after such a small sample size.
When did I ever criticize the Canucks fan base for anything? Better yet, when did I ever discuss a Pettersson for McDavid trade? That’s ridiculous.

You have me confused with someone else.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Wait so the only argument against EP is sample size? lol?? what are we expecting , him to regress into a 50 point player when hes been dominating every league since he was 16?

Reactions: WalkwithElias

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Lmfao. Pettersson is not on the same planet as Matthews. Average overrated...
It took Leafs fans like 4 games into this season to say Matthews was better than McDavid but Pettersson isn't on the same planet as Matthews even though he's scoring at the same pace as Matthews did at the same age while being a rookie and physically less developed at a younger age. Makes sense.

Reactions: WalkwithElias

WalkwithElias

Dec 24, 2018
It took Leafs fans like 4 games into this season to say Matthews was better than McDavid but Pettersson isn't on the same planet as Matthews even though he's scoring at the same pace as Matthews did at the same age while being a rookie and physically less developed at a younger age. Makes sense.
Leaf logic

WalkwithElias

Dec 24, 2018
Also ripped into some Canucks fans saying they wouldn’t trade Pettersson for McDavid yet they made the same claims after Matthews very first game and made the endless and beyond ridiculous threads with matthews> mcdavid

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He is underrated in general so he gets overrated on HF - the typical hipster choice. Case closed.

By your logic Nicklas Bäckström who have been most underrated player in several years in this poll is overrated at these forums and him being hipster choice because of winning this specific poll? That is ridiculous take. Nicklas Bäckström to me is even more underrated at these forums compared to general consensus. To me hipster choice is a non mainstream choice. I think Barkov is more mainstream than hipster right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad