Confirmed with Link: Barkov Named Captain

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Wow I'm surprised that they actually chose Barky. He's our best player and deserves it.

I was always hesitant to give it to him because of the extra pressure that comes with being captain. But the guy is cool as a cucumber, so he'll probably be just fine and could even thrive with the new responsibilities.

I'm also shocked to learn that he is our first captain developed from within... Never even thought about that. Shows where we were as a franchise, but hopefully more importantly that we are now heading in the right direction.

Reactions: klabob

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Now that he has the C he will not feel THAT awkward scoring goals but rather even a bit obligated to... you will finally get your hatter(s) !

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Couldn't agree more.

Now we just wait for the intangibles-folks make their counterarguments for Troch and Ek. :)
you dont need intangibles to justify trochek. hes a monster player and the clear leader part is just the icing on the cake. the way he high fives every player after games and goes off the ice last, his swagger, and his insane skill level all scream captain. but they went with the best player. plenty of teams do it so its not weird. i just think hes way more reserved than other teams best players. cant imagine him giving a rousing speech to rally the troops.

Not gonna lie, was hoping for Ekblad but can’t be mad with the selection...
How could you hope for Ekblad? he hasnt done enough to earn it. if you had polled people 2 years ago, there wouldve been a near 100% consensus that ek would be the next captain. his suckiness on the ice destroyed that right quick.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yeah, it's one thing to take the C away from Joe Thornton, it's another to take it away from Mack. It seems like he knew and respected that the C would eventually go to one of the great kid coming up. I'm glad everyone involved was realistic and level-headed about the situation.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
To quote myself from draft night 2013, "I'm so happy".

This just further solidifies Barkov's position as Mr. Franchise. He might be an awkward manchild, but he's our awkward manchild. And now he's our captain.

I cant wait for him to awkwardly be given the Stanley Cup an he awkwardly takes that picture and handshake....then awkwardly skate around the rink only to slip as he skates 2 feet away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad