Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That Brooklyn politician's tweet is kinda silly, but I guess there's not much to say when your borough loses a pro sports team because Brooklyn's $1 billion arena was done on the cheap. :dunno:
I think half the reason why Wang moved us there is because he was so enamored with their ability to be cheap.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Cover of today's Newsday...

image.jpg

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You’re entitled to a victory lap for all the **** you’ve taken here.

BMD blocked me on Twitter, but I’m sure him and Sexton are having meltdowns as we speak.
Rangers fan coming in peace. And, coming for this reason. Was hoping to see this guy posting in this thread (BMD, not MJF). He was such a jerk to everyone on the main board, business board, and here, to anyone who questioned. Even if you said something positive. I remember writing that I thought their bread and butter in brooklyn would be those who live on LI and work in Manhattan. Could now take the train to the game after work and the LIRR home to anywhere not on the Pt Washington line. He then jumped all over me saying the "majority" of their new season tickets were from Brooklyn. Then used info from some Isles employee saying 33% from Brooklyn. When I pointed out that 33% was not "a majority" he didn't understand.

"Denial is not just a river in Egypt".

"There is no out clause...They are never going back to Nassau......"

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
He once cited a statement by Ledecky that Barclays was loud. I reminded him that, as the owner of the Islanders, who at that time had not publically disclosed that the owners were looking elsewhere, speaking positively about the building made sense - but that I felt that Nassau Coliseum, with its low ceiling and otherwise not wonky setup, could get louded. His reaction was "your opinion doesn't matter. The owner has spoken, and I and others agree." Even for this board, using "I and others agree" as an argument is probably one of the least substantial arguments I could ever think of.

Not to mention his constant anti-Long Island garbage and refrain to LI fans of "you will be replaced."

Well, I guess I would say "The owners have spoken" and "good riddance."

Reactions: IslesFanatic

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I'm a thousand times on board with this project, but this is a hilarious use of "others argue". Have the economists not considered, argues the head of a business lobbying group, that they can "make sure" this one works?

But Joel Maxcy, vice president of the International Association of Sports Economists, which analyzes sports financing, said arenas already tend to be underutilized, sitting empty for 150 days a year.

“To me it would be very difficult for two similar arenas, hosting similar type events, to coexist in such close proximity,” he said. “There are only so many sport and entertainment events that can be supported by the region."

Others argue that Long Island, with a population of nearly 3 million and one of the wealthiest consumer bases, can support both arenas.

“Populationwise, the region is big enough to accommodate both arenas,” said Kevin Law, president of the Long Island Association, the area’s largest business group. “The key will be to make sure that the Nassau Coliseum gets the same quality events that the new facility at Belmont gets.”

(I think the project is good because the Isles having a Long Island home contributes a lot of hard-to-quantify good to the community, this particular land was already severely under-utilized, and it's a mechanism for expanding transportation access. But yeah, the LI arenas are obviously going to be under-utilized and it's pretty clear the counter-argument is pure magical thinking.)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm a thousand times on board with this project, but this is a hilarious use of "others argue". Have the economists not considered, argues the head of a business lobbying group, that they can "make sure" this one works?

But Joel Maxcy, vice president of the International Association of Sports Economists, which analyzes sports financing, said arenas already tend to be underutilized, sitting empty for 150 days a year.

“To me it would be very difficult for two similar arenas, hosting similar type events, to coexist in such close proximity,” he said. “There are only so many sport and entertainment events that can be supported by the region."

Others argue that Long Island, with a population of nearly 3 million and one of the wealthiest consumer bases, can support both arenas.

“Populationwise, the region is big enough to accommodate both arenas,” said Kevin Law, president of the Long Island Association, the area’s largest business group. “The key will be to make sure that the Nassau Coliseum gets the same quality events that the new facility at Belmont gets.”

(I think the project is good because the Isles having a Long Island home contributes a lot of hard-to-quantify good to the community, this particular land was already severely under-utilized, and it's a mechanism for expanding transportation access. But yeah, the LI arenas are obviously going to be under-utilized and it's pretty clear the counter-argument is pure magical thinking.)
Not the Islanders job or concern to make sure the Coliseum can still get acts.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
He once cited a statement by Ledecky that Barclays was loud. I reminded him that, as the owner of the Islanders, who at that time had not publically disclosed that the owners were looking elsewhere, speaking positively about the building made sense - but that I felt that Nassau Coliseum, with its low ceiling and otherwise not wonky setup, could get louded. His reaction was "your opinion doesn't matter. The owner has spoken, and I and others agree." Even for this board, using "I and others agree" as an argument is probably one of the least substantial arguments I could ever think of.

Not to mention his constant anti-Long Island garbage and refrain to LI fans of "you will be replaced."

You were not the only person to point out to him that anything like this from an Isles owner or employee should be taken with a grain of salt. He did not understand why they might present slanted info to help their agenda.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Rangers fan coming in peace. And, coming for this reason. Was hoping to see this guy posting in this thread (BMD, not MJF). He was such a jerk to everyone on the main board, business board, and here, to anyone who questioned. Even if you said something positive. I remember writing that I thought their bread and butter in brooklyn would be those who live on LI and work in Manhattan. Could now take the train to the game after work and the LIRR home to anywhere not on the Pt Washington line. He then jumped all over me saying the "majority" of their new season tickets were from Brooklyn. Then used info from some Isles employee saying 33% from Brooklyn. When I pointed out that 33% was not "a majority" he didn't understand.

"Denial is not just a river in Egypt".

"There is no out clause...They are never going back to Nassau......"
that guy is a grade A douche

Reactions: Svengoolie

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You guys are ruthless, makes me wonder what you think of me! It can't possibly be good. I already know Periferal hates me, he didn't respond to my confession of love earlier in the thread (I think).

Can we bring the conversation back to the topic though? Today should (hopefully) be a day for celebration among 90% of fans. Enjoy the moment and stop dwelling on negative Nancys.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Actually it is BMD who will be replaced. I had an (almost) civil twitter convo with him a few months ago before he blocked me. He said he would drop his season tickets if the team left Brooklyn.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You guys are ruthless, makes me wonder what you think of me! It can't possibly be good. I already know Periferal hates me, he didn't respond to my confession of love earlier in the thread (I think).

Can we bring the conversation back to the topic though? Today should (hopefully) be a day for celebration among 90% of fans. Enjoy the moment and stop dwelling on negative Nancys.

How can we not love a guy who uses "Negative Nancys" in a post. Very Frank Burns of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad