Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

My High School was Elmont. Spent all of my youth in that area. Any questions related to travelling feel free to ask me. Have tons of ways to get there.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Late to the party. My 2 cents. Been an Isle’s fan since 1975, and this is one of top 10 moments in my Isle’s fandom. This is such a great day. Great new owners, great new arena. I finally feel like the Isles are no longer bush league. This is how to run a franchise. So happy.

My favorite Isle’s moments

1) Potvin’s Cups- 4 in a row, 19 playoff series wins in a row
2) I know it’s part of #1, but the feeling when Nystrom’s shot went in, to win Cup #1
3) Isles Draft Tavares. I knew this was an important moment in Isle’s history
4) Wang sells to Ledecky and Malkin
5) Belmont, couldn’t be happier !
6) Isles Draft LaFontaine, loved Patty, one of my all time favorite Isles and one of my favorite draft picks.

3, 4 & 5 happened when I was in my late 40’s early 50’s, 3 great moments after waiting a LONG time for good (great !) stuff to happen.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
What an *******. **** him.

This dude's expression before tweeting that...

giphy.gif

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
I am really excited but...

Is being selected the only hurdle?
Does this mean they can build right away?
Are there environmental studies or any other procedures that have to happen?

The lighthouse project won the RFP but that was only the first step. Is the fact that this state owned property make it that different?

Hockey Fandom

Dec 19, 2017
Wondering if Barclays would have worked if they had stayed with the original design which included hockey. With the obstructed view seats capacity was not that much more than the Coliseum. The saving grace for the Belmont site is the LIRR station (although it needs significant upgrades to be a full time station). Cross Island Parkway would be beyond maxed out at rush hour if not for LIRR option.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Thank you for posting this..

Can you please offer your typical legal disclaimer, and then answer this question: What do you make of the civic association attorney's comments about NYS skipping a procedural step??

I'm not sure - I'm not familiar with that area of the law. I'd have to look into it more before even hazarding a guess. I can only guess that if the procedural step that the PCA is alleging was not completed is dispositive, the state would've done it.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Wondering if Barclays would have worked if they had stayed with the original design which included hockey. With the obstructed view seats capacity was not that much more than the Coliseum. The saving grace for the Belmont site is the LIRR station (although it needs significant upgrades to be a full time station). Cross Island Parkway would be beyond maxed out at rush hour if not for LIRR option.
The trick to get home is to find the inside roads. Cross island will be death. Get to elmont road and head to the southern state which is 2 miles away. And if elmont road is backed up, take inside roads out of there. My mechanic is on elmont road, so I know back ways out.

grandpuba01

Jan 13, 2012
But they were talking about getting an AHL/minor league team there and they too need production facilities. I mean there's going cheap and then saying, "We're not going to ever have any sort of sports franchise here."

Not sure if this means anything regarding broadcasting but the Hofstra vs. Villanova game this Friday will be on Fox Sports 1 from the Coliseum. Guess that means that TV is possible if they want to make it work.

In any case, GREAT news that made me post after a long time of lurking.

LGI!

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
The trick to get home is to find the inside roads. Cross island will be death. Get to elmont road and head to the southern state which is 2 miles away. And if elmont road is backed up, take inside roads out of there. My mechanic is on elmont road, so I know back ways out.

I take the CIP 2x a day. It can't get any worse. It's soul crushing on a daily basis

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

Yeah, what he said. You can definitely take the back roads to the SSP, where you'll also enjoy the benefit of entrance ramps.

I would like to add you can also skip the northbound Cross Island altogether by taking Springfield Blvd to the GCP.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Thank you for posting this..

Can you please offer your typical legal disclaimer, and then answer this question: What do you make of the civic association attorney's comments about NYS skipping a procedural step??
The only guy quoted in this article:

http://libn.com/2017/12/19/elmont-residents-plan-lawsuit-to-stop-belmont-arena/

was Aubrey Phillips, the VP of the civic association. It doesn't say he is an attorney. Was some other attorney quoted? As the other poster mentioned, I find it hard to believe NYS just forgot a required step in the process. Aubrey might just be blowing smoke.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That Brooklyn politician's tweet is kinda silly, but I guess there's not much to say when your borough loses a pro sports team because Brooklyn's $1 billion arena was done on the cheap. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad