Movies: Barbie (July 21st 2023)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Barbie will be a huge fail. I’ll just call that right now.

Lol at anyone still thinking this is not a complete chick flick after reading the reviews. It’s basically a girls road to womanhood and a feminism masterpiece based off most reviews. The boys are definitely lined up to see it!

It will have an ok opening weekend then crash shortly after.

Welp.....

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Went with some friends who were going and it was pretty funny - yea maybe not something I'll personally watch a bunch of times but I was entertained.

Robbie and Gosling definitely did well in the leads - I really enjoyed Michael Cera's character too

One of my friends who went with us is totally Ken on the beach singing guitar to the pretty girls and we all had a good laugh at his expense (he also saw it and laughed at himself).

I think it also doing really well with the gender queer crowd - which is larger than probably most people realize. Definitely lots of people dressed up in drag at the theatre and its already been out a few weeks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Went with some friends who were going and it was pretty funny - yea maybe not something I'll personally watch a bunch of times but I was entertained.

Robbie and Gosling definitely did well in the leads - I really enjoyed Michael Cera's character too

One of my friends who went with us is totally Ken on the beach singing guitar to the pretty girls and we all had a good laugh at his expense (he also saw it and laughed at himself).

I think it also doing really well with the gender queer crowd - which is larger than probably most people realize. Definitely lots of people dressed up in drag at the theatre and its already been out a few weeks.

At* the pretty girls. ;)

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Lol at anyone still thinking this is not a complete chick flick after reading the reviews. It’s basically a girls road to womanhood and a feminism masterpiece based off most reviews. The boys are definitely lined up to see it!

It will have an ok opening weekend then crash shortly after.
oof, there are hits and there are misses...and then there are MISSES.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Not surprising that this hit $1B, it’s essentially equivalent to girls night at the bar.

Almost every women was going to see this and then a good majority of those are bringing their significant other.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Not surprising that this hit $1B, it’s essentially equivalent to girls night at the bar.

Almost every women was going to see this and then a good majority of those are bringing their significant other.
It's fun to see predictions go from "this will be a total failure because it's 'woke' nonsense" to "Yeah I'm not surprised it did so well. Women are dragging their significant others to see this".

I don't know if YOU were saying that, but it's certainly not hard to find these opinions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's fun to see predictions go from "this will be a total failure because it's 'woke' nonsense" to "Yeah I'm not surprised it did so well. Women are dragging their significant others to see this".

I don't know if YOU were saying that, but it's certainly not hard to find these opinions.
Predictions didn't go from one to the other. The one person who predicted that it would be a failure hasn't posted since, and some of us predicted before the movie came out that it would do well because women would be dragging their significant others to it.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Predictions didn't go from one to the other. The one person who predicted that it would be a failure hasn't posted since, and some of us predicted before the movie came out that it would do well because women would be dragging their significant others to it.
Men "drag their significant' others to movies all the time that don't make $1 billion dollars. For example, Mission Impossible (which you referenced earlier in this thread) has made half of what Barbie has made.

Cherry pick all you like though, I wasn't talking about the guy who's literal board name should let you know not to listen to what they have to say. I'm talking about what I've seen in a lot of other places including people I personally know.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Men "drag their significant' others to movies all the time that don't make $1 billion dollars. For example, Mission Impossible (which you referenced earlier in this thread) has made half of what Barbie has made.

Cherry pick all you like though, I wasn't talking about the guy who's literal board name should let you know not to listen to what they have to say. I'm talking about what I've seen in a lot of other places including people I personally know.
Cherry picking seems like ignoring the predictions in this thread that don't fit the narrative and claiming that ones elsewhere (that we can't verify) do. Respectfully, I have doubts that you've seen many people who predicted that the movie would be a total failure and then did a 180 and said that they weren't surprised that it was a success. I suspect that you're thinking of different people who said each and imagining that they're the same people. It's a lot like generalizing a fan base as flip flopping because some fans said one thing and other fans eventually said another.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a chance this movie would be anywhere near as successful as it is without the Barbie name.

Barbie is as much an important historical figure as Robert Oppenheimer or Napoleon Bonaparte. Probably even more so to some people. I thought the film did a reasonably good job of expressing that without being overly self-important about the subject.

She may have started as a plastic doll but clearly eclipsed that purpose judging from how many women of different generations connected to the movie.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Going to see this again this evening with the wife in IMAX. Looking forward to it. There's some extra content and it's always better seeing something in IMAX compared to standard.

This'll be her 4th time seeing it, my 2nd.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Before Greta Gerwig became the director Anne Hathaway dropped out due to creative differences with the previous creative team. I'm on my phone so I'm not posting a link.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Watched it last night at home. Didn't like it. Didn't think it was particularly interesting or funny. I get what it was about. Just thought it wasn't a good movie and wonder if this is one of those movies where the hype influences the viewers experience going into it.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Watched it last night at home. Didn't like it. Didn't think it was particularly interesting or funny. I get what it was about. Just thought it wasn't a good movie and wonder if this is one of those movies where the hype influences the viewers experience going into it.
No. Sometimes a lot of people like something a lot that you don't like and that's ok. No one is pretending to like a movie. Especially not multiple times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad