Movies: Barbie (July 21st 2023)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
These guys do exist, though. I know it's hard to believe because it's so f***ing lame, but theyre out there. I saw a dude claim anyone who watches the Barbie movie is a beta male. In my mind, these are some of the lamest people to exist because they have to constantly remind themselves theyre an Alpha male. Does it get anymore lame than that? Im sure it does, but still...

A MAJORITY are targeting them as being pitiful for not being able to see the movie because theyre Alphas, though some are likely calling all men insecure if they don't want to see the move. That's lame, too.

Im fine with damn near any other reason not to see the movie. Hell, I would likely skip the movie for a long time, but the wifey wants to see it, so Im sure we'll be watching it as soon as it's available to stream.

She went to the movie theater to watch 'They Shall Not Grow Old' with me, so I owe her a few movies after THAT (Peter Jackson pretty much brought WW1 soldiers to life by colorizing and adding voices to original footage). Bless that woman's heart. I really enjoyed that movie while she likely questioned why she married such a nerd, haha.
Oh they 100% do exist no questions asked. Some of my brethren fall in this category no doubt, but using it as a generalising argument is not one of any substance. That’s my main argument.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Honestly, I think you need to take your own advice and chill out. This movie and thread seem to be taking up a lot of space in your head.

Yes. It was one of the better movies I’ve seen lately. It’s on its way to being one of the biggest movies of the year. I am thinking and talking about it in a thread dedicated to it. What was your viewing experience like?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yes. It was one of the better movies I’ve seen lately. It’s on its way to being one of the biggest movies of the year. I am thinking and talking about it in a thread dedicated to it. What was your viewing experience like?
You seem a little triggered lol. Keep beating that dead horse though.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
You seem a little triggered lol. Keep beating that dead horse though.

Yes. You’re right. The one who saw it and wants to discuss the movie is the one triggered. Not the one who hasn’t seen it, has no intention, and just comes here to trash talk it. Have a blessed day.

Will approach 3/4 of a billion worldwide by the end of the weekend. Super Mario Bros is the highest grossing movie of the year with $1.3 billion. I don’t think it has those legs but this could easily make $1 billion.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yes. You’re right. The one who saw it and wants to discuss the movie is the one triggered. Not the one who hasn’t seen it, has no intention, and just comes here to trash talk it. Have a blessed day.

Will approach 3/4 of a billion worldwide by the end of the weekend. Super Mario Bros is the highest grossing movie of the year with $1.3 billion. I don’t think it has those legs but this could easily make $1 billion.

You're not actually discussing the movie though. You just keep accusing people of being insecure along with posting box office totals to try and get a reaction out of the guys who said it would flop.

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If you’re secure in your masculinity you would very much enjoy this film. It has a great story and a wonderful moral for everyone.
Some people just should stay quiet. I mean, I get it that you try to "defend" a film because you think it makes you look good to do so, but the effect is just the opposite to anyone with half a brain. That type of argument is just plain foolish.

The film was ok at best. If it's the most progressive discourse one has encountered, it might be time to read a little. I enjoy that it makes a lot of dumb people angry, and that it tried to be a little controversial, but it's still not a great film.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Some people just should stay quiet. I mean, I get it that you try to "defend" a film because you think it makes you look good to do so, but the effect is just the opposite to anyone with half a brain. That type of argument is just plain foolish.

The film was ok at best. If it's the most progressive discourse one has encountered, it might be time to read a little. I enjoy that it makes a lot of dumb people angry, and that it tried to be a little controversial, but it's still not a great film.

We’re saying the same thing. If these people were at all more comfortable with themselves they would enjoy it, not rail against it with a fiery passion that’s really unearned or undeserved.

I’m not trying to “defend” anything because it “makes me look good.” I’m just saying this was a very good movie that’s getting unjust hate because insecure people perceive it as something it’s not. Exactly what you said.

It's pretty much fait accompli that this will be the highest grossing domestic movie of the summer. It's likely to blow past Guardians 3 no later than August long weekend.

I really do wonder if it has the legs to make it past Mario. I feel it’ll fall short. And I don’t know what else may be coming the rest of the year to make it 3rd. Especially if things like Dune and The Marvels get pushed because of the strike.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
We’re saying the same thing. If these people were at all more comfortable with themselves they would enjoy it, not rail against it with a fiery passion that’s really unearned or undeserved.

I’m not trying to “defend” anything because it “makes me look good.” I’m just saying this was a very good movie that’s getting unjust hate because insecure people perceive it as something it’s not. Exactly what you said.
It's absolutely not what I said. I never said it was a very good movie. It's barely ok, and the causality you infer between someone's insecurity and disliking the film is foolish - at best it makes you seem pretty insecure with the fact that people could have an articulated opinion that differs from yours. Again, never said anything like that.

Yes, the film makes a lot of dumb people overreact with anger, but no, it doesn't mean that every person disliking the film (or even the idea of the film) should be grouped with them. And "you people" (I mean, the fanboys, in every HF thread about any nerd shit) tend to do that a lot.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I really do wonder if it has the legs to make it past Mario. I feel it’ll fall short. And I don’t know what else may be coming the rest of the year to make it 3rd. Especially if things like Dune and The Marvels get pushed because of the strike.
You in one sentence earlier said that if people just weren't interested in the movie that is fine and then further down said that if people were more secure in their own masculinity they would enjoy the movie. There is nothing wrong with anyone who goes and sees a movie and simply didn't enjoy it all that much. Straight up. I also feel like there is some kind of disconnect going on here. Barbie is on pace to be the biggest movie of the entire year while it is also getting supposedly to much unfair hatred. Whatever is happening is clearly working for Barbie and that includes a bunch of dudes going to see the movie. It is great that you loved the movie. The movie doesn't need someone going to battle for its honor for the horror that some people saw the movie and didn't happen to think it was for them.

Reactions: Osprey

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
It's absolutely not what I said. I never said it was a very good movie. It's barely ok, and the causality you infer between someone's insecurity and disliking the film is foolish - at best it makes you seem pretty insecure with the fact that people could have an articulated opinion that differs from yours. Again, never said anything like that.

Yes, the film makes a lot of dumb people overreact with anger, but no, it doesn't mean that every person disliking the film (or even the idea of the film) should be grouped with them. And "you people" (I mean, the fanboys, in every HF thread about any nerd shit) tend to do that a lot.

I never said everyone that dislikes it is this way. I said it was very easy to tell those who were based on why they disliked it. You saw it, said it’s meh and that’s fine.

The bulk of the attacks on the movie aren’t from that sentiment. They’re from the dumb people you and I both have mentioned.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I never said everyone that dislikes it is this way.

Except you kind of did:

If you’re secure in your masculinity you would very much enjoy this film.

If these people were at all more comfortable with themselves they would enjoy it

These statements are fraudulent arguments, and are counter-productive to the debate (and as stated, kind of counter performative too, as you're the one who sound insecure). It's all I'm saying.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I never said everyone that dislikes it is this way. I said it was very easy to tell those who were based on why they disliked it. You saw it, said it’s meh and that’s fine.

The bulk of the attacks on the movie aren’t from that sentiment. They’re from the dumb people you and I both have mentioned.
Puh-lease. It’s been your MO in this entire thread. Guys can not want to see this because they’re not interested in a movie about Barbies. Most guys don’t care about them whatsoever because they were a girls toy and we didn’t play with them. There’s no base level interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Puh-lease. It’s been your MO in this entire thread. Guys can not want to see this because they’re not interested in a movie about Barbies. Most guys don’t care about them whatsoever because they were a girls toy and we didn’t play with them. There’s no base level interest.
Now I've chosen not to step into this one but I don't thank that really rates here, as the amount of people going to see this due to some love or nostalgia for the children's toy has to be pretty minuscule. The corporate bodies will love the tie in but the general audience draw is a fun looking movie featuring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.

Growing up as a family of boys in a He-Man/GI Joe/Ninja Turtle household as an adult now I'm interested in the Barbie movie because it looks fun. Like some kind of weird Zoolander spinoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Now I've chosen not to step into this one but I don't thank that really rates here, as the amount of people going to see this due to some love or nostalgia for the children's toy has to be pretty minuscule. The corporate bodies will love the tie in but the general audience draw is a fun looking movie featuring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.

Growing up as a family of boys in a He-Man/GI Joe/Ninja Turtle household as an adult now I'm interested in the Barbie movie because it looks fun. Like some kind of weird Zoolander spinoff.
I reject the idea that all guys should go see this movie and if you don't there's something wrong with you. Seems to be the general sentiment floating around online. I don't have interest in anything Barbie and the trailer didn't make me want to see it either. That should be fine enough for most, unless your wife is telling you how to think and feel about cinema :sarcasm:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Imagine if Mattel and Hasbro had teamed up. Instead of going to an exaggerated real world, Barbie and Ken could've gone next door to G.I. Joe-land. There, Ken could've fit into that male-dominated world and Barbie could've felt out of place, and then Ken could've brought that machoism back to Barbieland. It could've been largely the same story, but with subtlety, keeping the toy theme, more for everyone (especially men and kids) to appreciate and likely more fun after the first half hour. If Mattel couldn't get Hasbro to play along, they could've just done G.I. Joe-land without calling it that. Either way, that's a movie that I might've been eager to see.
What you're describing is essentially a rejected Toy Story narrative.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I thought it was decent, some good humour and excellent performances from Gosling and Robbie.

Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination and a little heavy handed at times with social commentary, but overall I enjoyed watching it.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Here's my honest review: I didn't like it though I didn't hate it. I'd give it a 4/10 People are saying it had great humour? Really? About 30% of the jokes landed for me, granted those ones were pretty clever. Most of them were pretty cringe. I found it odd that though you'd think this movie was meant for little girls since it was based on the Barbie brand. Yet there were sexual references in it. So this is supposed to be for... teen-aged girls who used to play with the dolls I guess(?)

I like the colourful world the Barbies live in. The animation is definitely neat. I didn't like Gosling in this movie at all. His Ken character was as dumb as a brick and I just didn't find him that funny. He was an annoying twit. Robbie was a real solid cast choice for Barbie though. Pretty much perfect for the role. The first 3rd of this movie is fine but it goes downhill pretty quick after that. The ending in particular was so stupid to the point of it being impossible to enjoy. Even my wife who was really excited for this movie was underwhelmed. She just thought it was okay.

Reactions: S E P H

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
^ I thought he was better than Margot tbh
I thought it was decent, some good humour and excellent performances from Gosling and Robbie.

Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination and a little heavy handed at times with social commentary, but overall I enjoyed watching it.
this, it was fine, my gf saw it for the second time with me and she ****ing loves it.

I will say that people talking super loud behind us in spanish was ruining the experience, but the plot seemed menial at the end of the day. I thought the whole patriarchy thing was super funny, no problems with it and was expecting something way more 'woke'. My problem was it jusy seemed like a bit that turned into the main plot, and that part of it almost made it feel like an SNL movie, especially with the casting. But, aesthetically, cinematography, costumes, all that fun shit was oscar nomination worthy for sure
5.5/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad