Movies: Barbie (July 21st 2023)

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
What a silly comment. I had no interest in watching the Transformer or GI Joe movies either so does that mean I'm effeminate lol. I do know that if anyone who actually knows me heard you call me an Alpha or a man's man they'd laugh for days. The fact that you've mentioned you went with your wife several times now tells me you're not as comfortable with yourself as you think you are.
No one said anything about being effeminate or masculine. The point is that any dude who isn't concerned with any of that very nonsense would have no problem going to this movie. "This movie wasn't made for me" is just a lame excuse. Plenty of movies aren't made for you. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them. This is a comedy with a coming of age message. It's "not for you" because there's a lot of pink? C'mon.

Plus, comparing Barbie to the GI Joe or Transformers movies is kind of bad faith too. All of those movies are trash and we all know that. This movie isn't.

Anyone is free to be interested or not interested in whichever movie they like too. Coming into threads about those movies and letting everyone know how bad you think this movie is going to be and that you aren't going to see it because x, y, z and having a weird fascination and hope about it not doing well certainly does say something about that person though.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
No one said anything about being effeminate or masculine. The point is that any dude who isn't concerned with any of that very nonsense would have no problem going to this movie. "This movie wasn't made for me" is just a lame excuse. Plenty of movies aren't made for you. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them. This is a comedy with a coming of age message. It's "not for you" because there's a lot of pink? C'mon.

Plus, comparing Barbie to the GI Joe or Transformers movies is kind of bad faith too. All of those movies are trash and we all know that. This movie isn't.

Anyone is free to be interested or not interested in whichever movie they like too. Coming into threads about those movies and letting everyone know how bad you think this movie is going to be and that you aren't going to see it because x, y, z and having a weird fascination and hope about it not doing well certainly does say something about that person though.
There's been plenty said about masculinity in here and I certainly never said anything about wanting this movie to not do well. I came into to this thread out of curiosity and started posting in response to a certain poster who really wants Oppenheimer to fail. The comparison is because they're all cartoony movies about toys that don't interest me. I watch about 8-10 movies made in Hollywood each year(maybe 1 comedy) and usually regret watching half of them so I'm really not interested in spending two hours watching this. There's plenty of Oscar nominated films that I don't watch because they don't interest me so it being a critical hit really doesn't matter to me. I find it very weird that you guys insist that anyone who doesn't want to watch this isn't comfortable with themselves. Do you think everyone watches every highly rated movie?

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
What a silly comment. I had no interest in watching the Transformer or GI Joe movies either so does that mean I'm effeminate lol. I do know that if anyone who actually knows me heard you call me an Alpha or a man's man they'd laugh for days. The fact that you've mentioned you went with your wife several times now tells me you're not as comfortable with yourself as you think you are.
Dude… what?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just saw this last night as the first leg of my Barbenheimer double feature.

The acting was great. I thought Robbie and Gosling crushed their roles, and I think Gosling steals the show (he's given a lot of fun things to do that stand out though). Robbie's character had a much more serious range of emotion and she played it perfectly. The secondary Barbies and Kens all performed well, with Kate McKinnon doing exceptionally well. Michael Cera was a nice surprise for me as well.

Leaning into the over the top aspect of the movie made it funny and enjoyable. Anyone who has any experience with Barbie's (sisters, cousins, friends, etc.) would find a lot of the jokes very good. The attention to detail when it came to the sets, costume design, soundtrack, etc. was on point and really added to the movie.

The biggest weakness for me was the story itself. I didn't dislike the message, but it could've used a little help. Mattel was weak spot in the plot and was just a bit too out there for my liking, as was Will Ferrell. I'm not sure why he's even in this movie but it felt like he was replicating one of his earlier roles. It would've been better without him.

My initial reaction was to give this movie an 8/10 but I think after thinking about it I'd drop it to a 7.5 or so. It just needed a bit more in the plot. This movie was just good. People trying to turn this into a political battleground are trying too hard and this isn't the place for it. I haven't watched/listened/red much of the commentary from the haters but I just don't see much to dislike after my viewing. It's better than the average movie and is worth a watch if you're not looking for reasons to hate it.

I went to the movie with my girlfriend. I didn't particularly enjoy it but I didn't hate it. Gosling and Farrell got the most laughs out of me but really the movie just wasn't made for me and that is fine. Lots of movies out there that are more geared towards me while this one was a nostalgia trip for the women. I do think they could have made it a more compelling plot then they did but it is what it is I am not worried about it. Like a 5/10.

I felt like Ferrell was just playing a shittier Mugatu and it didn't hit for me. Babrie and Ken go into the real world, interacted with real people, and then the Mattel board and building is just an extension of silliness we found in Barbieland. I'm not sure why they did that, it would've been better had they just played that more serious I think.

That was the part I disliked the most.

Saw this last night with the wife and i enjoyed it.

Fun and silly movie with more funny moments than I expected. I think the over-the-top satire lightens the tone a bit and keeps it from coming across as too preachy. Pretty good acting from the big names, the supporting characters were mostly forgettable, but considering that they’re literally just slight variations of the main characters, it’s to be expected.

I usually don’t care much for Will Ferrell’s aloof shtick, but I thought that character was perfect to portray the stereotypical out of touch mega corporation CEO.

Seemed like they sorry of ran out of steam at the end of the film and didn’t know where to go after the main resolution.

All in all, a pretty decent movie IMO if you don’t take the movie or your own manhood too seriously.
I'd be curious in your thoughts to the light spoiler mentioned above to BeastCoast about Ferrell. Seems like we all agree that the story was the weakest spot as the movie progressed towards the end.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I felt like Ferrell was just playing a shittier Mugatu and it didn't hit for me. Babrie and Ken go into the real world, interacted with real people, and then the Mattel board and building is just an extension of silliness we found in Barbieland. I'm not sure why they did that, it would've been better had they just played that more serious I think.

That was the part I disliked the most.

I'd be curious in your thoughts to the light spoiler mentioned above to BeastCoast about Ferrell. Seems like we all agree that the story was the weakest spot as the movie progressed towards the end.
Yeah, I definitely found that part of the story to be pretty contrived and pointless. I chalked up the "mattel going to Barbieland" as them doing what they could to give Ferrell some more screen time, given how beloved of an actor he is. Yeah I didn't really understand the fantasy aspect of the Mattel office, considering that it was meant to be in the real world.

Reactions: PK Cronin

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
There's been plenty said about masculinity in here and I certainly never said anything about wanting this movie to not do well. I came into to this thread out of curiosity and started posting in response to a certain poster who really wants Oppenheimer to fail. The comparison is because they're all cartoony movies about toys that don't interest me. I watch about 8-10 movies made in Hollywood each year(maybe 1 comedy) and usually regret watching half of them so I'm really not interested in spending two hours watching this. There's plenty of Oscar nominated films that I don't watch because they don't interest me so it being a critical hit really doesn't matter to me. I find it very weird that you guys insist that anyone who doesn't want to watch this isn't comfortable with themselves. Do you think everyone watches every highly rated movie?
See this is the sort of stuff that just annoys me. It isn't ANYONE, it's people like that other person in here who's been going on about this movie. There's absolutely no rational discussion coming from them. They've got a preconceived notion about a movie they've never seen and they won't see because of the made up ideas they have about it which justifies their decision.

You're free to not want to see any movie at all. No one cares. The reasons people give for not seeing something will say more than they think it does though.

Also, if you "regret" seeing half of those 8-10 movies you see every year, just find more joy in things man. That's no way to go through life.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
See this is the sort of stuff that just annoys me. It isn't ANYONE, it's people like that other person in here who's been going on about this movie. There's absolutely no rational discussion coming from them. They've got a preconceived notion about a movie they've never seen and they won't see because of the made up ideas they have about it which justifies their decision.

You're free to not want to see any movie at all. No one cares. The reasons people give for not seeing something will say more than they think it does though.

Also, if you "regret" seeing half of those 8-10 movies you see every year, just find more joy in things man. That's no way to go through life.
At least one person said anyone but yeah I know what you mean there.

As for your last comment, I gotta say that's a very obnoxious thing to say. So not liking a handful of movies means I don't enjoy life lol. You don't know me at all and I think you need to learn to accept that not everyone has the same interests as you.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
At least one person said anyone but yeah I know what you mean there.

As for your last comment, I gotta say that's a very obnoxious thing to say. So not liking a handful of movies means I don't enjoy life lol. You don't know me at all and I think you need to learn to accept that not everyone has the same interests as you.
Yo you really need to work on the comprehension my guy. I said "regretting" seeing half of several movies you see is no way to go through life. I see dozens of movies every year and I don't regret any of them. Not even Titane. Like, I don't even understand how you can have strong enough feeling about a movie to "regret" seeing it. Unless the alternative was to do something during those 2-3 hours that you'd never get a chance to do again, it doesn't make any sense to me.

I never said you don't enjoy life though. I don't know whether you do or don't and, frankly, I don't care either. Why would I (or you) care about some strangers quality of life? I said if you're so upset after seeing a movie that you need more joy in yours. A movie like Barbie would probably do you some good.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yo you really need to work on the comprehension my guy. I said "regretting" seeing half of several movies you see is no way to go through life. I see dozens of movies every year and I don't regret any of them. Not even Titane. Like, I don't even understand how you can have strong enough feeling about a movie to "regret" seeing it. Unless the alternative was to do something during those 2-3 hours that you'd never get a chance to do again, it doesn't make any sense to me.

I never said you don't enjoy life though. I don't know whether you do or don't and, frankly, I don't care either. Why would I (or you) care about some strangers quality of life? I said if you're so upset after seeing a movie that you need more joy in yours. A movie like Barbie would probably do you some good.
I don't know why you'd care but you're the one giving out life advice on here. You really read into me saying I regret watching a few movies each year eh lol. Pretty weird that you'd think I'm so upset because I felt watching a movie was a waste of time. Regretting something certainly doesn't mean you're mad about it. Can't believe I have to explain that to an adult.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
See this is the sort of stuff that just annoys me. It isn't ANYONE, it's people like that other person in here who's been going on about this movie.
Go back and look at what he was responding to. He's taking issue with what another guy said about "any man" and you're denying that anyone said that and trying to change the subject to something else.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Go back and look at what he was responding to. He's taking issue with what another guy said about "any man" and you're denying that anyone said that and trying to change the subject to something else.
Or I was responding to them saying that I was saying anyone when I didn't say so. Maybe that's what I was responding to? Who can really say what I was responding to? Me? Certainly not. Probably someone who isn't me.

I wrote a bunch more but it's pointless. For some reason y'all have this desire to both prove you don't care but also spend a lot of time explaining why you don't care and I'm not going to be bothered with it. It's honestly not worth my time. Miss out on seeing good movies because they're "unflattering to men" (your words) even though that's completely imagined and entirely wrong.

EDIT: Also this weird idea that a movie has to be "made for me" to be enjoyable or interesting? That's really some weird coddling man-baby nonsense. The John Wick movies aren't "made" to capture the 18-35 women demo but there are a ton of women in that demo that love those movies.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Or I was responding to them saying that I was saying anyone when I didn't say so. Maybe that's what I was responding to? Who can really say what I was responding to? Me? Certainly not. Probably someone who isn't me.
OK, but, before that, you took exception to him criticizing someone who did say that. If you don't agree with that, there wasn't a need to start arguing with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
It's really fun. If you go in with the right mindset it does exactly what it's trying to do, and I enjoyed myself.

Not crazy about Kate McKinnon, that's the only negative from me.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The vast majority of negativity toward this movie comes from a certain demographic and it’s clear why they don’t like it. So I stand firmly behind my statement.
I’m sure you’d be saying the same thing about a similar movie but with the gender dynamic the other way.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The masculine debate over the past two pages is very weird to me. Why can't men like feminine stuff once in a while and why can't women like masculine entertainment at times as well? It gets worse when the pro-Barbie males claim that the reason other blokes do not want to see this movie is that they're injecting bull shark testosterone in their veins or because they are fake alpha or something. Yeah, no, that is a brutally bad argument. Some people don't want to see this film because it's a movie with zero direction or plot. The comedy is obviously more hit or miss and I personally didn't find the jokes that well written. I also know many women who thought the movie sucked as well.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Saw it this afternoon. Really fun movie, I didn't have a lot of expectations and I would say it exceeded them comfortably. Lots of camp, some genuinely smart humor mixed in with the dumb, not without heart although maybe a little over contrived, I even found myself enjoying most of the musical numbers and that's rare. Gosling and Robbie both absolutely nailed it. Lots of good cameos and bit parts.

If you're someone who feels like a movie about a plastic doll coming to life threatens your masculinity or offends your core moral and social values, well I would recommend seeking professional help. They might have a pill for that. Or if you're someone who feels the need to denigrate it just because you thought the trailer looked dumb or that it's just for chicks, maybe open your mind and step outside your comfort zone once and a while. That's a healthy thing to do. You still might not enjoy it, that's fine, different people like different things. Just don't really see what's appealing about celebrating ignorance.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Saw this on IG…. :laugh:

IMG_3584.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: PK Cronin

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It gets worse when the pro-Barbie males claim that the reason other blokes do not want to see this movie is that they're injecting bull shark testosterone in their veins or because they are fake alpha or something.
These guys do exist, though. I know it's hard to believe because it's so f***ing lame, but theyre out there. I saw a dude claim anyone who watches the Barbie movie is a beta male. In my mind, these are some of the lamest people to exist because they have to constantly remind themselves theyre an Alpha male. Does it get anymore lame than that? Im sure it does, but still...

A MAJORITY are targeting them as being pitiful for not being able to see the movie because theyre Alphas, though some are likely calling all men insecure if they don't want to see the move. That's lame, too.

Im fine with damn near any other reason not to see the movie. Hell, I would likely skip the movie for a long time, but the wifey wants to see it, so Im sure we'll be watching it as soon as it's available to stream.

She went to the movie theater to watch 'They Shall Not Grow Old' with me, so I owe her a few movies after THAT (Peter Jackson pretty much brought WW1 soldiers to life by colorizing and adding voices to original footage). Bless that woman's heart. I really enjoyed that movie while she likely questioned why she married such a nerd, haha.

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Yeah, if you’re not interested in the movie because it doesn’t look interesting what ever. It’s an extremely good, fun movie. You’re missing out.

The VAST majority of the response toward this movie doesn’t fall there, though. It’s “it’s a chick flick” (it’s not), “it looks horrible” (it’s not), “this is going to be a bust” (already at half a billion worldwide), “this is a romcom” (couldn’t be further from it), all clearly from the leagues and droves of men who are so attacked by a movie about a doll they take it as an affront to their masculinity.

You can easily tell the difference between the two. If you’re secure in your masculinity you would very much enjoy this film. It has a great story and a wonderful moral for everyone. If you’re so insecure you just want to attack it for things it’s not even when evidence continues to mount against every argument you’ve made… I can’t help you there, but you need to get over yourself.

Chill out, wear a pink shirt, give it a try with an open mind. Life isn’t that hard. Have some fun.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yeah, if you’re not interested in the movie because it doesn’t look interesting what ever. It’s an extremely good, fun movie. You’re missing out.

The VAST majority of the response toward this movie doesn’t fall there, though. It’s “it’s a chick flick” (it’s not), “it looks horrible” (it’s not), “this is going to be a bust” (already at half a billion worldwide), “this is a romcom” (couldn’t be further from it), all clearly from the leagues and droves of men who are so attacked by a movie about a doll they take it as an affront to their masculinity.

You can easily tell the difference between the two. If you’re secure in your masculinity you would very much enjoy this film. It has a great story and a wonderful moral for everyone. If you’re so insecure you just want to attack it for things it’s not even when evidence continues to mount against every argument you’ve made… I can’t help you there, but you need to get over yourself.

Chill out, wear a pink shirt, give it a try with an open mind. Life isn’t that hard. Have some fun.
Honestly, I think you need to take your own advice and chill out. This movie and thread seem to be taking up a lot of space in your head.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad