Ballon D'or 2021: Who wins it?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Of course AB thinks CR7 was ever better than Leo *sigh*
Messi is the greatest player ever and I like him more than Ronaldo probably. But to pretend that CR7 never at any point has been a better player than Messi is disrespectful to Ronaldo. He deserved the 2013 ballon d’or despite winning no titles and losing the league to Messi, for example.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi is the greatest player ever and I like him more than Ronaldo probably. But to pretend that CR7 never at any point has been a better player than Messi is disrespectful to Ronaldo. He deserved the 2013 ballon d’or despite winning no titles and losing the league to Messi, for example.
It’s not he was never better he had better years tho

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Guess that depends on what you mean by "better", because (to me) there was never a point at which CR7 was a better player...though I'd concede that he had some season in which his output was better.

Same way LeBron was the best player in the NBA for a decade, but didn't always have the best/most-impressive season.

Reactions: gary69

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Guess that depends on what you mean by "better", because (to me) there was never a point at which CR7 was a better player...though I'd concede that he had some season in which his output was better.

Same way LeBron was the best player in the NBA for a decade, but didn't always have the best/most-impressive season.
That’s kind of what I mean. Messi was unmatched in terms of ability but Ronaldo had a few monstrous seasons when he was better than Messi. Lets also not pretend that CR7 was all about output, for about 15 years he was almost as complete as an attacker can get.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Messi’s winning it

I wouldn’t be mad if Lewa wins it because he was robbed last year.

I see Jorginho’s name being thrown here, is this a joke? He’s not even Italy’s best player.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Jorginho undoubtedly deserves to win the Ballon d'Or, proclaims Fabio Capello

Capello also added to the calls for Italy star Jorginho to win the 2021 Ballon d’Or, with the midfielder having played a key role in Chelsea’s run to Champions League glory last season before helping his country win their second European Championships crown.

“He undoubtedly deserves to win the Ballon d’Or, not just because he won everything but because he played a key role in those achievements,” the 75-year-old said of his compatriot.

“I don’t see players who were as decisive as him in 2021.”

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wouldn't vote for him, but I totally understand why he and others would feel this way.
If you think he should go back to the museum for this take, then lol to you. It's hardly outlandish. Even moreso as an italian.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Can we please stop with this Jorginho for Ballon d'Or nonsense? I thought Modric's win was bad enough, but this would be ridiculous.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jorginho winning would be absolutely ridiculous. Participation trophy for a guy that won without even being the best midfielder, let alone best player in either of his teams.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn't vote for him, but I totally understand why he and others would feel this way.
If you think he should go back to the museum for this take, then lol to you. It's hardly outlandish. Even moreso as an italian.
I think he should go back there regardless of this hot take but this take is HF worthy. There’s only one choice for balon D’or. If you want to argue otherwise you’re out to lunch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So now you think you know more than Capello? Please, he knows more about football from the 90s than you ever will.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So now you think you know more than Capello? Please, he knows more about football from the 90s than you ever will.
Obviously I never said I agreed with everything. From like the first post.
But his takes aren't ridiculous.
And this one isn't either.
He's the only player who won both the major trophies and was key for both teams.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Obviously I never said I agreed with everything. From like the first post.
But his takes aren't ridiculous.
And this one isn't either.
He's the only player who won both the major trophies and was key for both teams.
But they are that’s the thing. Pedri isn’t the only thing good about la liga… see benz.

jorginho wasn’t the best player on either team that won. Where as Messi made a shit barca team competitive. Even managed to win a trophy with them. Also won a major trophy where he was clearly the best player. Sooo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They have given one award to Dias so might as well give him two.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Come on man, you can't take his provocation as his point. You know it.

As for Jorginho, I agree he shouldn't get it. But to act as if his name is ludicrous is totally ridiculous. He's the only name who won the two biggest trophies while playing a key part in each. OF COURSE his name should be considered. He'll probably end up top 10 which is quite remarkable for a CM without big scoring totals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If I said the only thing worthy of watching madrid was Valverde you would be calling me out rightfully so. What he said was dumb and he really shouldn’t be taken seriously anymore. Much like our old friend Mourinho.

Reactions: cgf

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Jorginho was Italy's best player at the Euro, but it would obviously be ludicrous for him to win the Ballon d'Or, just like it was hilarious that he won UEFA POTY.

Should be Lewandowski.

Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if I agree on that assessment. I think Donna was brilliant. Not sure if I would consider him Italy's best outfield player in that tournament either. Probably not. Close call though - Jorginho was very good.

Difficult for anyone to really have a strong opinion on this in my opinion. No-one watches all the big leagues all the time. Some years it was probably easy to say it has to be Messi or Ronaldo.

From what I have seen from Jorginho and Lewandowski I would definitely agree that Lewa should get it over Jorginho.

Didn't watch the Copa and I rarely watch Barcelona these days, but Messi is rarely a bad choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad