Ballon D'or 2021: Who wins it?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I scoffed at Kante at this point I have no words Jorginho, Kane, what’s next Pickford or maguire! Lol

all that matters for me is tomorrow. They say there’s always tomorrow but after that… might be a long long time before I witness anything good tbh.

Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The winning criteria should be roughly weighted 1/3 for being one of the most important players in the domestic title winning club (or clearly a level above anybody else if not being part of the title winning club). 1/3 weighted similarly for the CL winners, and then the last 1/3 for winning Euro/Copa America etc.

Potentially, from City there are players such as Sterling, Walker, Stones, Foden, Ederson, Aguero, then Lautaro from Inter, from Chelsea Thiago Silva, Mount, Jorginho, Emerson and Chilwell.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The winning criteria should be roughly weighted 1/3 for being one of the most important players in the domestic title winning club (or clearly a level above anybody else if not being part of the title winning club). 1/3 weighted similarly for the CL winners, and then the last 1/3 for winning Euro/Copa America etc.

Potentially, from City there are players such as Sterling, Walker, Stones, Foden, Ederson, Aguero, then Lautaro from Inter, from Chelsea Thiago Silva, Mount, Jorginho, Emerson and Chilwell.
How is kun eligible? He’s been injured for city and barely played for Argentina. When he has he’s sucked? This makes no sense

Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
How is kun eligible? He’s been injured for city and barely played for Argentina. When he has he’s sucked? This makes no sense

I don't mean all of them are serious candidates, basically just a list of players of those clubs/countries who have been successful this season. Imo, the winner should be selected from this kind of team, like Conn Smythe is not awarded to a player whose team didn't make it to Stanley Cup Finals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't mean all of them are serious candidates, basically just a list of players of those clubs/countries who have been successful this season. Imo, the winner should be selected from this kind of team, like Conn Smythe is not awarded to a player whose team didn't make it to Stanley Cup Finals.
Understood on the first part but the trophy isn’t the best in a single competition like the conn smythe. Imagine not giving McDavid the MVP because his team didn’t win the presidents trophy nor won the cup. That’s a closer analogy

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It’s an individual award. Team achievments already matter too much in Ballon D’or voting. For example, Kante and Suarez are the only players from Chelsea and Atletico that should be in lets say the top 25.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England didn't do much in that game clearly.

Huh, we were talking about the game against Denmark, not the entire tournament. Sorry to have offended you Messi fan boys.

Harry didn’t do much. Kyle Walker & Raheem Sterling, on the other hand...

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It’s an individual award. Team achievments already matter too much in Ballon D’or voting. For example, Kante and Suarez are the only players from Chelsea and Atletico that should be in lets say the top 25.

If it's an individual award, then Messi would have won the past 10+ years like I said before. So clearly, it isn't an individual award (alone). Team success matters most in any given year.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If it's an individual award, then Messi would have won the past 10+ years like I said before. So clearly, it isn't an individual award (alone). Team success matters most in any given year.
Team sucess matters, but it isn’t what matters most. It should matter much less than it does now, which is my point. I also don’t accept that Messi has been the best individual player every year for 10 straight years. Ronaldo has been the best player in the world for like 4 of those.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Team sucess matters, but it isn’t what matters most. It should matter much less than it does now, which is my point. I also don’t accept that Messi has been the best individual player every year for 10 straight years. Ronaldo has been the best player in the world for like 4 of those.

You only think so because of his team success. E.G. if Real had lost all those CL finals (with Ronaldo otherwise similar individual stats) he would be seen in different light.

Of course you have every right to think that team success should matter less, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. Individual awards are always likely to go for players from winning/finalist teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad