Ballard KOd with M. Martin hit. Very scary

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
What is the update on Ballard?

Other than the Clint Malarchuck incident, I really cant think of a time where I was thinking a life and death situation.

Scary stuff.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What is the update on Ballard?

Other than the Clint Malarchuck incident, I really cant think of a time where I was thinking a life and death situation.

Scary stuff.

Yeo was just on the radio about an hour ago and had not heard. Sure Russo will update in the next couple hours though.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I'll gladly eat crow tomorrow if I'm wrong....but these are the hits the NHL doesn't want. With the whole league cracking down on head shots and worrying more about player safety and especially with a serious injury on the play from A HEADSHOT no matter who is at fault, the NHL will not turn the other cheek and say no harm no foul. I'm not saying anything crazy; something like 2-5 games...but he's not gonna get off scot free. It will make the league look bad

Eat%20Crow.jpg

Last edited:

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Yuck. But it's the hard-as-a-rock boards that did most of the damage this time. Ballard would've better off just facing Martin head-on and upright, but oh well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yikes.

I know that's just a reflex, but Ballard can't be taking a hit like that. If he stands his ground or tries a reverse hit, maybe he goes into the bench, but at least he gets back up.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/542704969154322433
Minnesota defenseman Marco Scandella will have a hearing this evening for an illegal check to the head of NY Islanders forward Brock Nelson.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/542709675376910337
Given the Player Safety announcements this AM, seems that Matt Martin won't have a hearing for check that injured Keith Ballard. #Isles

This, on the other hand, is garbage.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
And no It doesn't say that at all whatsoever ever. It says it will "BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATIONS" regarding the hit to the head...ITS STILL A HIT TO THE HEAD. I'm not saying Ballard has no blame ; he does. You can't sit here and say Martin had no blame though also. HE DID; it was a elbow/forearm to the head! Doesn't matter how it happened!. But the NHL will "TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION" when they dish out his 2-3 game suspension instead of a lot more

I have nothing to say except for :laugh:

kakanucks

Oct 5, 2013
Poor Ballard, liked him when he was with the canucks, thought AV could have utilized him better.

He just haven't had the best of luck these few years, so many injuries, he would come back from an injury play a few games and get injured again and so forth.

Sad to hear about the concussion, he's had concussion problems earlier too if I rmb correctly.

Hope it doesn't force him to retire.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
This is another reason you should always "take a hit to make a play." If Ballard stood up to that hit instead of ducking towards the boards, he wouldn't have gone to the hospital. Very dangerous and not at all what you want to do in that situation. Young players, do not do this.

Hard to blame Martin, looked like he was simply trying to finish his check. Hopefully Ballard heals quickly, I can only imagine how much that would have hurt.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Don't like the upper body follow through like Martin does here. Plus he jumps up, his one foot coming off the ice. A body check would have taken Ballard out just as effectively and it's alot safer play when playing A GAME.

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
If Matt Cooke made this hit on John Tavares people would be saying Cooke should be banned for the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad