Ballard KOd with M. Martin hit. Very scary

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think he had a seizure. At least I hope he didn't. I think he was just fighting himself and the trainer guy to try and regain his bearings and get up.

He reportedly had convulsions, Russo tweeted as much last night after the game.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland

There was no sucker punch:
uaJBu.jpg

Martin has just dropped his glove, and his hand is open. Talbot wasn't punched. Martin wanted to fight him and Talbot threw himself to the ice. The NHL suspended Martin basically because the Pens announcers and their fans went ape over what didn't even happen.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
you may be right. tough to tell if seizure or disoriented panic from my living room couch. either way, scary to watch. but either way the Wild medical staff SHOULD BE FIRED! A player with a clear head injury of this magnitude SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to get up and skate off the ice (even with assistance). He should be immobilized on back board with head blocks until properly evaluated at hospital.

Hope he's OK.

Keith Ballard was diagnosed with a concussion and broken bones in his face. I agree with you fully that he should not have been allowed to get up and that he should have been immobilized.

You cannot throw an accelerated shoulder to shoulder lateral check when the player being checked is 2-4 feet away from the boards. That's a dangerous play regardless of outcome.

Ballard knew that the hit was coming. If he had not turned, the helmet protects him against the boards. Brace for impact.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
The Steckel hit on Crosby that knocked him out for a year wasn't suspended, right? I don't think your argument holds up at all.

Crosby not paying attention and getting run over by Steckel may have been the incident that injured him but he did come back and play at least one more game after that. I seem to remember a Ning player hitting him the next game and that was the end of his season.

As for Ballard, none of the head injuries he sustained last night would have happened if he didn't turn.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Keith Ballard was diagnosed with a concussion and broken bones in his face. I agree with you fully that he should not have been allowed to get up and that he should have been immobilized.

Ballard knew that the hit was coming. If he had not turned, the helmet protects him against the boards. Brace for impact.

While I agree medically, there is something about a guy skating off that is heroic.

While I agree he looks like his feet came out at the worst possible time, leaving him in a much more dangerous position then he would have been. he then tried to brace by ducking but never got there. Glad to see he is ll right. Those are the hits you really worry about. Looked like he had some serious knots on his right forehead above and next to his eye...still tough to watch.

As for Martin, there is no defending the Talbot situation (even though he did not get him as bad as they say). But he has been relatively clean otherwise and even opened his right leg to try not to drive him into the boards...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Excerpt from Russo's blog

Thoughts here again are with Keith Ballard, who is such a good guy and just continues to have horrible luck with injuries. The latest is serious and could be season-altering at a minimum and career-threatening at a maximum.

He has three facial fractures and a concussion. Once the swelling goes down, doctors will decide whether or not Ballard needs surgery. He has been released from the hospital and is resting at home.

Even Chuck Fletcher admitted his concern. When I asked whether Ballard may not play again this season (which would likely mean at a minimum his Wild career is in danger because he’s in the final year of his contract), the Wild GM said, “This is serious. He’s had concussions before. I don’t know how many. We’re worried about that. Bones will heal. I don’t mean to make light of it, but his face will heal. But his hand was sticking right up. He was convulsing. This was scary. You could even see the reaction of the Islanders’ bench. They weren’t standing over him mocking him. They were scared.â

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Unfortunately... with Ballard's concussion history, and the severity of this one (the fact that he was convulsing), I'll be surprised if he plays another game in the NHL. :(
Yep. That's the feeling I got before they even had him off the ice. :shakehead:shakehead:cry:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Forgive me but, what the **** are you talking about?

The whole 'fight night' incident was fallout from the goonery of Matt Cooke who ran Rick Dipietro 3 times in a game when he's trying to come back from many injuries. Month or so later it looks like it's going to happen again, so DiPietro fights Brent Johnson, and gets KO'd to the Penguins' players delight. NYI are stewing. Now Talbot legally injures Comeau with a check (it was not a dirty hit IMHO, but NYI were enraged at this point). The next game, Cooke is out, but NYI had enough and Talbot was the symbol.

So before you go off calling Matt Martin dirty for eventually responding with the weakest sucker punch I've ever seen, you should know the history. Especially if your team employs the dirtiest rat ever to put on skates.

I like how you ask a question of a poster and they don't answer.

I'm glad it bothered you.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Martin has just dropped his glove, and his hand is open. Talbot wasn't punched. Martin wanted to fight him and Talbot threw himself to the ice. The NHL suspended Martin basically because the Pens announcers and their fans went ape over what didn't even happen.

Well, to be fair the NHL suspended Martin for all the other things that went on that night. What Trevor Gillies did to Tangradi was disgusting and shameful. I think sometimes people read into Martin things that Gillies was responsible for. But NYI employed Gillies, who is a friggin' psychopath, and that is an organizational stain. And stains spread to related people. That's just reality.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
First time seeing the hit.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back on the ice in the future, I wish him all the best.

He turned right into the hit, unfortunately, this was more of his own fault than anything else.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't know if its that I just can't recognize a seizure or not, but I don't see one there...to me it looked like Ballard half-swallowed his mouth guard from the hit (which has happened to players in the past) and the trainer was trying to take it out, then Ballard started panicking when he regained consciousness. Unless the team staff confirmed he had a seizure, I don't think he did.

That was also a poor choice on Ballard's part to put himself in that situation.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't know if its that I just can't recognize a seizure or not, but I don't see one there...to me it looked like Ballard half-swallowed his mouth guard from the hit (which has happened to players in the past) and the trainer was trying to take it out, then Ballard started panicking when he regained consciousness. Unless the team staff confirmed he had a seizure, I don't think he did.

That was also a poor choice on Ballard's part to put himself in that situation.

He convulsed, not a seizure. Convulsions may happen after sudden head impacts which result in a concussion. The fact he had one demonstrates just how severe that hit really was:

Concussive convulsions: emergency department assessment and management of a frequently misunderstood entity.

With concussive convulsions generally occurring within seconds of head impact and lasting up to several minutes, patients are initially in a tonic phase, followed by a clonic convulsion

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11229957

Double

Feb 14, 2008
If Matt Cooke made this hit on John Tavares people would be saying Cooke should be banned for the rest of the season.

Do you really think Matt Cooke deserves the same level playing field as every other player? Cooke should be thankful (and deep down, I think he is) he is still allowed to play in the league. Matt Cooke has one person to blame for his reputation, and that would be Matt Cooke. The stance of, "Well, if Matt Cooke did that he would've had the book thrown at him," is one of the stupidest of all time.

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
Ballard should not have turned like that. Martin should not have ran at him when he was 2-4 feet away from the boards. Martin should not have left his feet but that is irrelevant considering the results.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Taking a run at a stationary player who was perfectly perpendicular to the boards, while less than a body length away could have produced an ugly result in and of itself. That's shoulder/neck/back problem territory if Ballard takes the check without manoeuvering away.

There's a case for rule 41 - boarding, simply based on the geography of the hit.

Now, I acknowledge that Ballard tried to 360 out of the hit, and is therefore partially accountable for the outcome. Given that, I'd have given Martin 5 and a game for boarding resulting in an injury to the head. No further discipline.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

Watching the game and after that hit I had to change the channel for a minute as I was a little bit more than worried about Ballard. I hate seeing any player getting hurt like that. Forget about teams you root for or anything else along those lines. This could have been not only career altering - this could be a life altering play. I am glad it was not.

Martin is a tough however a limited player (certainly not one of my favorites on this team) who I really think plays a relatively clean game give his role. For a guy who hits as much as does, the fact that he has not had a history of "dirty" (not meant as an invitation for Talbot debate) play will lend me to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as his intention. Still, just like with your stick, you have to be responsible with your actions (hits AND knowing how to not expose yourself along the boards). There is a fine line of driving guys into boards vs finishing your checks and as guys get bigger and faster that line will get blurrier.

As stated in Russo blog the Islander bench looked a little freaked out - watch a replay and watch Calvin deHaan from the bench watching as soon as Ballard was hit he is waving frantically to medical staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad