Ballard KOd with M. Martin hit. Very scary

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
As a fan of neither team, I think this hit was 100% accidental and not Martin's fault.

I disagree with the previous poster as well. If Cooke had a history of making hits like this, I'd have a much different perspective of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't.

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
As a fan of neither team, I think this hit was 100% accidental and not Martin's fault.

I disagree with the previous poster as well. If Cooke had a history of making hits like this, I'd have a much different perspective of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't.

It's a point of conversation though. If that's John Tavares laying on the ice you think nothing happens as far as supplemental discipline? Do you think Islander fans would be saying he should learn how to take a hit? I personally don't think so.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
It's a point of conversation though. If that's John Tavares laying on the ice you think nothing happens as far as supplemental discipline? Do you think Islander fans would be saying he should learn how to take a hit? I personally don't think so.

I don't know what Islanders fans would say. I wouldn't think he would be suspended and I'd react the exact same way if it was Tavaras, Crosby or a guy on the Leafs. It was an unfortunate play but I don't think Martin did anything wrong.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Don't like the upper body follow through like Martin does here. Plus he jumps up, his one foot coming off the ice. A body check would have taken Ballard out just as effectively and it's alot safer play when playing A GAME.

gonna have to disagree...martin is anticipating contact and when ballard ducks/turns away at the last millisecond, it throws martin off balance...if he were jumping up, hed have gotten actual air with both feet. Martin knows how to hit...he does it more than anyone else the past 3-4 years and hardly, if ever, gets penalized for it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The whole "if it happened to Tavares everyone would be up in arms" argument is incredibly lazy. The recipient of the hit doesn't change the nature of the hit.

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
The whole "if it happened to Tavares everyone would be up in arms" argument is incredibly lazy. The recipient of the hit doesn't change the nature of the hit.

I agree with you that it shouldn't but don't kid yourself here. This would be the only thing discussed today if that's a star player on the ground. It's not right to treat incidents like that but that is how it would be looked at.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I agree with you that it shouldn't but don't kid yourself here. This would be the only thing discussed today if that's a star player on the ground. It's not right to treat incidents like that but that is how it would be looked at.

Just like Crosby's injury led to everyone calling Steckel's hit so dirty?

There's nothing to back that up.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
why are scandella clips in this thread? i bet i know. please remove them.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If Matt Cooke made this hit on John Tavares people would be saying Cooke should be banned for the rest of the season.

The Steckel hit on Crosby that knocked him out for a year wasn't suspended, right? I don't think your argument holds up at all.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think he had a seizure. At least I hope he didn't. I think he was just fighting himself and the trainer guy to try and regain his bearings and get up.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Apparently Ballard forgot the lessons from the age of 9 on how to take a hit. Yeah, he's hurt and it was scary but god damn man; don't turn like that and put yourself in a vulnerable position just to avoid a little contact. It's hockey for christ sake.

idontwatchockeyatall

Dec 3, 2014
Apparently Ballard forgot the lessons from the age of 9 on how to take a hit. Yeah, he's hurt and it was scary but god damn man; don't turn like that and put yourself in a vulnerable position just to avoid a little contact. It's hockey for christ sake.

Lol @ "a little contact"

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Lol @ "a little contact"

You do realize if he braced for a bit and used his shoulder the worst that woudl have happened is he would have been put into the boards on the side? Martin wasn't even going that fast and didn't explode through the hit. This was 100% avoidable but for some reason players, especially defensemen, are turning from hits all the time. I just don't get it.

Everyone that grows up playing hockey learns how to take a hit, and this is definitely not the way.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
You made the claim...now prove it.

One point a data set does not make.

Before I even remotely attempt to go any further, how much data would be sufficient?

Just so you don't move the goal posts later.

Homer-twiddle-thumb.gif

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

If it was Cooke making the hit of course you would have a lot more posters in this thread calling for his head based on preconceived bias. How you think that changes anything though I don't know.

The hit was what it was, an unfortunate event with unfortunate results that resulted from an awkward attempt to dodge contact by Ballard. Changing the names doesn't change that.

Wild fans for the most part deserve kudos for remaining logical in their assessment of this incident and most neutral fans agree that Martin is not to blame here.

Hoping for Ballard's successful recovery and return to the team.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Martin was already delivering the check when Ballard started turning. It went from being shoulder to shoulder to elbow to head when Ballard turned and ducked.

You cannot throw an accelerated shoulder to shoulder lateral check when the player being checked is 2-4 feet away from the boards. That's a dangerous play regardless of outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->