Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Really wanted to watch this game closely, huge game against a team that's been pretty much one of tthe top teams in the AHL so far this year. It's one of those games you really see where your guys are. I really paid attention to the prospects. My notes:

Thanks so much for this! The McLeod point is especially encouraging. Seems like such a well-rounded player with exceptional raw tools. On track to be our 3C in a couple seasons?

Reactions: replacement

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

If my math is correct he's got a 2.74 GAA and .915 Sv% over that stretch. Took him a little while to adjust to the AHL game but it really seems he's beginning to get his footing. Would be fantastic if he could develop into the home grown goalie we've all been longing for.

Ever since he had an outstanding WHL playoffs (out-dueling Carter Hart), I've felt pretty good about him. Even in the playoffs last year, he had some clutch games. You can see he has it in him, but can he bring it every game?

Hoping that spending a lot of mid-round picks on goalies works out for us. We've still got Rodrigue and Konovolov in the pipeline, and they both seem promising as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Really wanted to watch this game closely, huge game against a team that's been pretty much one of tthe top teams in the AHL so far this year. It's one of those games you really see where your guys are. I really paid attention to the prospects. My notes:
  • The best line by far tonight was the McLeod - Malone - Hebig line. They had the most good chances, the most pressure, the most smart plays, and they worked really well together, McLeod and Malone especially. I wouldn't mind seeing Maksimov on the right side instead of Hebig.

• Maksimov was good again this game, and I think we're starting to see some really good growth in his understanding of how to play with his teammates. He's got a ways to go, but there's growth there. He does a lot of stuff on the ice that would be considered a dumb penalty if it's called. He was like that in junior too.

• Despite the point, Benson had a fairly blah game, and it's kind of how I've felt about his pro game for a while. Just... Not as much of an impact as you'd hope. Certainly nothing like the consistent impact Yamamoto brought on a shift by shift basis.

• Bouchard too was really the same mystery. Right off the hop, he got dummied by Steenbergen, who stick lifted him and just skated by him for a scoring chance. But then sometimes he makes smart, subtle plays. Offensively he wasn't very effective. Same as Benson you expect him to be impactful more consistently. But... He just isn't.

• Malone helped Yamamoto a lot, and I think he's helping McLeod too. McLeod's game seems different now. He's still reluctant to be the shooter, or even to make himself dangerous in that way, but his board play is stronger, he's using his legs more, and he's playing with more polish, more compete. I'd go so far as to say of all of our prospects, McLeod has the most polish in his game. That's not saying much, but it's something!

• Last season I was extremely impressed with Kyle Capobianco. This is his third pro season, 22 year old. I think he's on the cusp of sticking in the NHL (Arizona is crazy deep, so... Maybe for another team). His offensive awareness is on Bouchards level, his defence is better (not great, but better), and his skating is miles better than Bouchards. And this is a guy who isn't an NHL regular. Watching them head to head tonight, it's hard to think Bouchard is close.

• You can tell a lot by the changes made in critical moments. When they were trying to protect the lead with 1 minute left, it was Lagesson with Lowe, not Bouchard. At the end of the first period they put out Currie, Gambardella, Malone, the three vets, along with Bouchard and Lowe. When Lowe was in the box on the 5 on 3, it was Kulevich taking the other d-man spot.

• On Currie's goal, people are talking about Benson and Bouchard's assists, but the real key part of that play was Marcus Granlund. Granlund drew two men right to him and made a gumby pass back to Bouchard to secure zone entry.

I only watched 3/4 of the 3rd but I had no issues at all with Benson and Bouchard. Both played hard and were standouts to me in a good way. Benson avoided a few really big hit attempts and was overall solid. When I watch AHL games I look for NHL translatable skill and what players look like vs and alongside their peers. IMO Bouchard, Benson and McLeod all looked like they have NHL level skill. I honestly didn't notice Maksimov much, but with Benson likely getting a recall soon, I suspect that we might see McLeod stay on the wing to see what he has offensively. He was more physical than when I've seen him in the past and looked good yesterday. As for Bouch not playing late, it's understandable given the importance of the game, having Benning, Lagesson and Lowe available which obviously isn't a normal situation (Benning is a legit NHL defenseman). No one expects Bouchard to be our #1 shutdown defenseman, but he is definitely making strides.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
When I watch AHL games I look for NHL translatable skill and what players look like vs and alongside their peers. IMO Bouchard, Benson and McLeod all looked like they have NHL level skill.

There's a lot to look at, I'm loathe to just say "well they have NHL skill" and that's that. Each guy is very different. I have different reservations about each of them. And there are factors outside of just skill level. I don't think anybody would disagree that there is a lot of development left for all these guys. Not a one of them is even where Yamamoto was when he got called up, and Yamamoto isn't a finished product either.

As for Bouch not playing late, it's understandable given the importance of the game, having Benning, Lagesson and Lowe available which obviously isn't a normal situation (Benning is a legit NHL defenseman). No one expects Bouchard to be our #1 shutdown defenseman, but he is definitely making strides.

The thing is Benning was also not out there in critical moments. They put out regulars. As a coach it makes complete sense. Benning gets nothing out of being out there.

So Woodcroft was going with his regular group in critical moments and made the conscious decision to go with guys like Currie, Gambo, Lowe, Kulevich. Maybe in a less meaningful game he gives younger guys a shot. Maybe tonight is different. We'll see.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Thanks so much for this! The McLeod point is especially encouraging. Seems like such a well-rounded player with exceptional raw tools. On track to be our 3C in a couple seasons?

Who knows, but I do predict we'll see increased point totals for him in the second half. He has the ability and the brain. I bet if he works on his edges like Ethan Bear and Yamamoto did, he'll unlock some extra offensive punch.

He's good on the wing, because he can use his speed more, and it keeps him engaged on the boards. I wonder if he'd convert to wing in the NHL.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
looks like bouchard with another point tonight already from what I can tell? Man I can't wait for this kid to hit the NHL ice

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Skinner, Lagesson, Benning, Granlund, Benson. These guys deserve credit for the recent string of good games.

Bouchard's defensive game in the last two game has been spotty.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I was planning on doing similar notes for this game to the last one, but goddamn... There's not much to say except they were awesome. The Condors played their best game of the season, every guy contributed, and they shut down a top team. It was the closest to the Condors play last season. Bundle offence, limited shots, punished on the PP.

Just a couple little things I noticed:

- First period, Maksimov drew a penalty on Capobianco. Capobianco feigned to pick up Maksimov's stick for him, then as Maksimov went to grab it Capobianco just dropped it and skated off. Kind of funny, but douchey move. Then near the end Capobianco threw a cheapshot at Kulevich, and the Condors salted the game on the PP. Maybe there's a reason Capobianco is still in the A.

- Chaput should be suspended for his blindside headshot on Maksimov, but I doubt he will be because the AHL doesn't care. The refs missing this call should really not be refs after this, but you know they won't face any discipline at all. Maksimov was really coming on, I hope there are no long term effects.

- McLeod was awesome again, just love his brains. Goes to the right places, he's got great wheels and hands, but it's his brain that will get him to the NHL. His development has been pretty great so far.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

Here's the hit on Maksimov. Unacceptable by Chaput, the refs, and the AHL for not taking any action.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I was planning on doing similar notes for this game to the last one, but goddamn... There's not much to say except they were awesome. The Condors played their best game of the season, every guy contributed, and they shut down a top team. It was the closest to the Condors play last season. Bundle offence, limited shots, punished on the PP.

Just a couple little things I noticed:

- First period, Maksimov drew a penalty on Capobianco. Capobianco feigned to pick up Maksimov's stick for him, then as Maksimov went to grab it Capobianco just dropped it and skated off. Kind of funny, but *****ey move. Then near the end Capobianco threw a cheapshot at Kulevich, and the Condors salted the game on the PP. Maybe there's a reason Capobianco is still in the A.

- Chaput should be suspended for his blindside headshot on Maksimov, but I doubt he will be because the AHL doesn't care. The refs missing this call should really not be refs after this, but you know they won't face any discipline at all. Maksimov was really coming on, I hope there are no long term effects.

- McLeod was awesome again, just love his brains. Goes to the right places, he's got great wheels and hands, but it's his brain that will get him to the NHL. His development has been pretty great so far.

Surprised you didn't mention how chippy Benson was all game. The team is gelling now... it could be the vets. Samorukov had an awful D-zone outlet pass straight into the Roadrunners forward that I thought he might get benched for. It's these brainfarts that have cost Condors games in the past.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Surprised you didn't mention how chippy Benson was all game. The team is gelling now... it could be the vets. Samorukov had an awful D-zone outlet pass straight into the Roadrunners forward that I thought he might get benched for. It's these brainfarts that have cost Condors games in the past.

Ya he was chippy, but that's his game, he's always like that. The Roadrunners were pretty brutal all game with taking extra shots too. On the whole, I don't really see it as a good thing when any team is like that. I like that Benson has some fire, but I really don't think that kind of chippy stuff will help him in the long run. I'd prefer he be engaged in other ways.

That giveaway by Samorukov was really funny, just because he had such a ridiculous amount of time. For sure you don't like seeing that, but it was mega late in the third in a 4-1 contest. What are you gonna do, bench him for 50 seconds? Notice that he was out there with Bouchard, there's a reason those two were out there together in the last minute; They need to experience closing out games. No better time than when the game is in hand.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bouchard about to compete in the hardest shot competition let's f'in go!

EDIT: 103 for Bouch, 5th all time!

EDIT: Martin Frk was the only guy to beat him at 109.2. WOW!
Frks 109.2 is the hardest shot in both NHL and AHL history

Poor Bouchard though, 6th hardest all time for the AHL, till Frk was the only guy to even get over 100 let alone close...then Frk just wrecks it

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bouchard about to compete in the hardest shot competition let's f'in go!

EDIT: 103 for Bouch, 5th all time!

EDIT: Martin Frk was the only guy to beat him at 109.2. WOW!

Frk has a deadly wrister too. If he was a tad better at everything he could be a Neal replacement.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Bouchard hit 103 with that skate up? I’d like to see what he could do if he actually took a good run up into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad