Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So no Oilers games going on and not much to comment on.

I don't watch Bakersfield at all but looking at Benson its concerning to me that he has only 8 goals this season, and has only scored goals in 4 of the 39GP thus far. When he scores(rare) it seems in bunches but scoring in 1/10 games at the AHL strikes me as problematic. Additionally no goals in his last 8 and counting games.

When I last joined the fray about Benson people were telling me the goal scoring problem was something Benson was solving, he was finding ways to score, and he was starting to come on in that regard.

How much is this looking like a fallback season for Benson. All his totals pale in comparison to even his rookie season when he didn't score often either.

I raise this because the Oilers have some of the best passers in the NHL. They don't need a ton more of those. Some guys that could pot some goals would be helpful. Is Benson snakebit again or is there just not much here as far as goal scoring acumen?

Tyler Benson has 1G in his last 15GP. In the AHL.

Last season there was even a Tyler Benson dedicated thread, lots of posts, he was considered can't miss. Pundits around the hockey world were talking up his rookie season.

Well, year later and he's 33rd in AHL in pts, and 131st in Goals. hardly being mentioned now in the Hockey world.

The goal scoring totals aren't ideal but he's still putting up points like a top line player, almost top 30 as you pointed out and leading his team. Even though he doesn't fill the net, he's a smart player in all 3 zones, he competes, has great vision, is a plus playmaker and excellent on the wall. Don't forget the Oilers have some guys who can put the puck in the net in McDavid, Draisaitl and Neal. The one concern with Benson is he is an average skater and will have to continue to work to improve in that area. But at this point the kid needs a chance to show what he can do in a top 9 roles with the big club, if he's not there yet send him back down. I'd have a little more time for Benson since he missed so much time as a junior and I think if his skating improves he's got a real good shot of being a solid middle 6 NHL'er.

Reactions: Consultant

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The goal scoring totals aren't ideal but he's still putting up points like a top line player, almost top 30 as you pointed out and leading his team. Even though he doesn't fill the net, he's a smart player in all 3 zones, he competes, has great vision, is a plus playmaker and excellent on the wall. Don't forget the Oilers have some guys who can put the puck in the net in McDavid, Draisaitl and Neal. The one concern with Benson is he is an average skater and will have to continue to work to improve in that area. But at this point the kid needs a chance to show what he can do in a top 9 roles with the big club, if he's not there yet send him back down. I'd have a little more time for Benson since he missed so much time as a junior and I think if his skating improves he's got a real good shot of being a solid middle 6 NHL'er.

The thing is I'd far rather have a player like Kassian playing with McD, punching cows, looking after things, bringing a physical and relentless forecheck and bringing the grunt work. I flat out disliked Chiasson in the same role as it led to the warped concept of McD banging on the boards so Chiasson could get some goals.

I don't see Benson as a physical player, and don't think he will be at this NHL level anyway. The trouble I mentioned with the goals is because we have more than enough consummate play makers on the club. We could use some guys with finish. That would be openly welcomed and goal scoring is a more valuable commodity than padding assists. Benson clearly doesn't add a level of playmaking that is even close to what we already have. If he was a balanced producer I could see a role. But being a one dimensional setup guy? I don't see it filling our team needs. Benson isn't fast, he's not an effective forechecker from what I've seen, he doesn't pressure particularly well. What I see Benson do a lot of at this level is trying to pass through coverage.

In anycase in a show me year its dissapointing that theres been some appreciable fallback. He's also sporting worse GA numbers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100+ points in 112 AHL games.
AHL Allstar appearance this month.

Benson is fine and ripe for a NHL stint.

He was never a big goal scorer in Junior alway collecting a lot more assists than goals.

Benson-Sheahan-Arcbibald please!

23 career AHL goals. REAL slim pickings there. That being the attribute we require on the Oilers. Somebody else that can light the lamp. Or at least offer some semblance of balanced production.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The thing is I'd far rather have a player like Kassian playing with McD, punching cows, looking after things, bringing a physical and relentless forecheck and bringing the grunt work. I flat out disliked Chiasson in the same role as it led to the warped concept of McD banging on the boards so Chiasson could get some goals.

I don't see Benson as a physical player, and don't think he will be at this NHL level anyway. The trouble I mentioned with the goals is because we have more than enough consummate play makers on the club. We could use some guys with finish. That would be openly welcomed and goal scoring is a more valuable commodity than padding assists. Benson clearly doesn't add a level of playmaking that is even close to what we already have. If he was a balanced producer I could see a role. But being a one dimensional setup guy? I don't see it filling our team needs. Benson isn't fast, he's not an effective forechecker from what I've seen, he doesn't pressure particularly well. What I see Benson do a lot of at this level is trying to pass through coverage.

In anycase in a show me year its dissapointing that theres been some appreciable fallback. He's also sporting worse GA numbers.

You're reading too much into things, players go up and down year to year all the time, it's barely half way through his second pro season and it's not like he's fallen off a cliff, the numbers are still there. I'll take a guy with Benson's skill set on my team any day of the week, can never have enough playmakers on a roster.

We will see though because I have a feeling we will see a Benson call up not long after the break. He's gonna go to the all star game maybe back to Bako for a few games but I'd bet he's in Edmonton early to mid Feb.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
23 career AHL goals. REAL slim pickings there. That being the attribute we require on the Oilers. Somebody else that can light the lamp. Or at least offer some semblance of balanced production.
So what? Since when was he touted to become a 40G scorer in NHL?
He is a playmaker from the beginning and is following up a stellar rookie AHL season with an all-star season.
He may look like Yamamoto's uncle but they are only 6 months apart.
Scoring at much better pace than Yama, leading his AHL club comfortably in points at age 21 while having vets like Curry, Marody, Cave, Gambo, Malone on the team.

But Yeh let's pick on the goal stat and make him the next disappointing prospect now that we can't bash on Yama too much

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Seems like the open hole in the lineup would be beside Haas and Chiasson.

Don't really need a shooter there.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Put me down as a big fan of Matt Benning... guy plays hard as nails... hits... is a rock solid bottom pairing dman who is a strong net positive for his team.

I'll always give him full credit for the way he plays unlike many others who shit on him and expect him to be a 20+ minute top 4 dman (it's as if every forward on the Oilers can play top 6 minutes and excel there as well... which obviously is not the case either).

For what he brings to the club... excellent in his role and the team is better when he's in the lineup.

Sadly his health/injuries might mean his career is cut short eventually but I hope for his sake he can stay healthy and keep on contributing positively going forward.

Reactions: KMart27

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Not much. Imama was causing trouble (crosschecked a Condor after the whistle) and Manning retaliated. He must have swore at the officials.

Cal Petersen is a wall tonight.

Only caught the beginning of the 2nd... the Condors are playing well. Lots of NHL vets of course. Benson is chippy tonight. Bouchard excellent defensively.
I’ve missed a bunch of their games lately but I’ve absolutely loved the edge that Benson has been playing with this year. I don’t remember seeing that part of his game last year or in junior but it’s been really noticeable to me this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seems like the open hole in the lineup would be beside Haas and Chiasson.

Don't really need a shooter there.

This would be the case if Benson was even remotely considered a role player, a shutdown guy, or didn't have a GA problem this season. As many pundits state bringing him up just to put him in bottomsix here would be at best juxtaposition.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This would be the case if Benson was even remotely considered a role player, a shutdown guy, or didn't have a GA problem this season. As many pundits state bringing him up just to put him in bottomsix here would be at best juxtaposition.

It isn't the 90s anymore. Third lines are just third scoring lines now.

I don't really see the issue in starting him in a sheltered top9 role. Seems more ideal than throwing him right onto McDavid's wing.

Reactions: Consultant and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It isn't the 90s anymore. Third lines are just third scoring lines now.

I don't really see the issue in starting him in a sheltered top9 role. Seems more ideal than throwing him right onto McDavid's wing.

Is the org really likely to do this in a segment where the bottomsix have been playing quite well, and even contributing offense? The bottomsix are currently pressuring well, establishing good ozone time, seem to be on a heater.

The Oilers didn't bring up Benson when offense was nowhere to be seen in bottomsix. Why would they do it now?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is the org really likely to do this in a segment where the bottomsix have been playing quite well, and even contributing offense? The bottomsix are currently pressuring well, establishing good ozone time, seem to be on a heater.

The Oilers didn't bring up Benson when offense was nowhere to be seen in bottomsix. Why would they do it now?

He'd be replacing Khaira. Would you say he's contributing to the bottom six's recent success?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He'd be replacing Khaira. Would you say he's contributing to the bottom six's recent success?

Well, since you put it that way, lol.

It would be impossible to argue that specific angle. ;)

Excepting that Khaira is not even in the lineup now for multiple games and its been going well without him. So its not really him being replaced.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well, since you put it that way, lol.

It would be impossible to argue that specific angle. ;)

Excepting that Khaira is not even in the lineup now for multiple games and its been going well without him. So its not really him being replaced.

With the only other options being Gagner or Russell, I'd guess they would go back to Khaira at some point.

Is it fair to say Benson would likely contribute more than any of those three?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Something to keep in mind with Benson's AHL stats, which I think are still perfectly fine, is that he's one of the only players that has actually maintained his production from last season.

The entire team has rocked between snakebitten and ineffective offensively, so I think there's some context to his lack of "growth." But he's not a McDavid AHL player, and like most players of his age and talent, need assistance.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t see how a playmaker with McDavid would be a bad thing. McDavid can score, having someone that can get him the puck is never a bad thing and even if you aren’t an elite shooter, McDavid will set you up for some tap ins.

I’m not worried about Bensons style at all, it just remains to be seen if he’s good enough at the NHL level.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd like to see Benson with McDavid. He seems to think the game pretty well which is what you need to keep up with McDavid. Also, having a good passer to setup McDavid coming out of the zone would be nice compared to Neal. Also don't forget that Kassian would benefit from having another playmaker on his line, he's pretty good at getting open in front of the net.

I agree that they should try to see what they have in Benson before the deadline. Seems there's an obvious spot available (no one's claimed Khaira's spot and it seems like he's unlikely to take it back for himself), and there's even a hole on the first line given Neal's lack of success there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad