Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Caleb Jones is turning into an offensive Dman.. good to see. He looked good during preseason

Reactions: nabob

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We might seriously have a player in Hebig. Leads all rookies in scoring the AHL.

I've always thought of him as a sleeper prospect. Yes he was an overager but those goal numbers last season were impressive especially in the playoffs and I really liked his play at the Memorial Cup. He's still a longshot but we really need a goal scorer to pan out, all our good forward prospects (Pulju, Yamamoto, Benson, McLeod, Marody) are playmakers first and foremost. Maksimov and Hebig are really the only pure goal scorers.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Caleb Jones also now has 6 points in 7 games.
Tyler Benson has 7 points in 7 games.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Caleb Jones is looking like a general on the back end, his presence is really felt when he's on the ice.

Bako special teams is mirroring the Oilers special teams, in that they started off hot, but are starting to show some cracks. Had a 4 min PP opportunity in the third tonight and really wasted 3 minutes of it just trying to get possession.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jones is Sekera's eventual replacement. Good to see him, Hebig and Benson all off to a good start.

Reactions: nabob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Really nice to see some prospects putting up points.

I've become so conditioned over the years just to see our junior guys end up flatlining in the AHL that I've just been expecting the same with the newest crop.

Who was the previous Condors coach, Fleming that didn't develop the prospects very much...played his AHL vets in key situations? I think Woodcroft is a good hire as he's letting the prospects play down there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jones is Sekera's eventual replacement. Good to see him, Hebig and Benson all off to a good start.
Really liking what I've read on Jones. Playing on top pp/pk/pairing. Also sounds like Gravel is the perfect partner for him right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really nice to see some prospects putting up points.

I've become so conditioned over the years just to see our junior guys end up flatlining in the AHL that I've just been expecting the same with the newest crop.
I think the biggest change is PC actually seeing the need to stockpile prospects. He's done a good job at looking at various leagues and adding guys that have talent.

There's probably guys that won't ever make the NHL or might only get a few games. However, even if Hebig(just an example) is never going to be a NHL player does he not keep a guy like Benson(just an example) honest? If Benson is being out played by an undrafted free agent, he'll need to be better if he is to get the callup.

Same really goes for Jones right now. He wants the next callup he needs to be better than Gravel who isn't as high on the prospect depth list

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol. I do think Garrison could be kept up all year. Eventually I rather have him as the #8 d-man sitting in the pressbox than a younger guy that needs to play.

To my eye, Gravel is the better player and should have been here the whole time.
It's great that he and Jones have some chemistry down there, but we need him up here more.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To my eye, Gravel is the better player and should have been here the whole time.
It's great that he and Jones have some chemistry down there, but we need him up here more.
Ideally neither should be playing right now. Which would mean I rather have Gravel playing minutes, which would be in the AHL.

Guy still has a shot at a NHL career and needs to be playing. Garrison can get fat eating popcorn at this point.

The problem is Garrison seems to get played when he shouldn't be.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ideally neither should be playing right now. Which would mean I rather have Gravel playing minutes, which would be in the AHL.

Guy still has a shot at a NHL career and needs to be playing. Garrison can get fat eating popcorn at this point.

The problem is Garrison seems to get played when he shouldn't be.

Ideally of course but Gravel is the best option for the "vet" portion of the 3rd pairing as we stand now.
Ideally, the Oilers can trade for a better 3rd pairing player but right now, Gravel is the best #5/#6 that the Oilers have.

Stauffer seems to think that Gravel will get called up soon (I'm guessing when Bouchard gets sent down) so that gives me hope that they will make the right decision not only with the Gravel call up but also with sending Bouchard down.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ideally of course but Gravel is the best option for the "vet" portion of the 3rd pairing as we stand now.
Ideally, the Oilers can trade for a better 3rd pairing player but right now, Gravel is the best #5/#6 that the Oilers have.
Oh for sure, but if TM won't play him I just rather him play somewhere.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Really liking what I've read on Jones. Playing on top pp/pk/pairing. Also sounds like Gravel is the perfect partner for him right now.

They’d be better than our current NHL bottom pairing. Salaries would pretty much be a wash if we were to swap them into the NHL and send Benning and Garrison down. Maybe someone does us a favor and claims Benning?

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Where is Bear??
Does anyone have Bakersfield info. It was said he was “nicked” two weeks ago and three games later we haven’t heard a word. They need him to push Benning and Bouchard. Isn’t happening if he doesn’t play!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who was the previous Condors coach, Fleming that didn't develop the prospects very much...played his AHL vets in key situations? I think Woodcroft is a good hire as he's letting the prospects play down there.

Benson and Marody did well in short a period under Fleming too. I think it has some to do with coaching but a lot to do with improved scouting.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Benson and Marody did well in short a period under Fleming too. I think it has some to do with coaching but a lot to do with improved scouting.

Yup. I think it just comes down to there being a lot better prospects down there than in previous years.

Take the past couple of years, as an example. Who were the best prospects down there? Laleggia, Chase and Platzer?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yup. I think it just comes to there being a lot better prospects down there than in previous years.

Take the past couple of years, as an example. Who were the best prospects down there? Laleggia, Chase and Platzer?

Speaking of Platzer that's kind of the player that I expected Hebig to be most like that we've had in recent years. Nice to see him with a fast start to his AHL career so that maybe we can expect more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad