Baertschi. No longer face of the future??

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
If Baertschi's playing Live the Life mode, his interview answer just gained him +10 fan likeability (and +2 management likeability). Jackpot!

I don't believe that he is playing the audimat !

he really is being shaken up by Burke ... so that he gets out of his comfort zone and progresses.

Sven understood this and is not answering to show off, but rather to tell Mr Burke : 5/5 ! you are right and i'll try to get better.

TylerSVT*

Ok great.

All aboard everyone! Back on the face of the franchise train, departing for another roller coaster.

Best player ever, great skater, awesome hands, high IQ, big bodied, nice smile, great singer, elbows not too pointy, made of gold, transforms into a jet, stanley cup himself.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good on Sven for being a man. He handled the situation much better than Kadri did with his little arrogant cracks he often makes. Sven has been known for his work ethic, now I wanna see how he responds on the ice.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Some more reaction from Baertschi:

“I’m trying to play as good as I can,†he said, apparently unscarred, smiling as always, friendly as ever. “I know there’s some points I have to develop and some things I have to be better at. That’s why we’re here.

“Sometimes it’s good when other people tell you certain things. Maybe you don’t see it at the start but then other people see it and try to help you. It’s great to have him around and the coaching staff that we have.â€
___

“It’s tough,†he replied, “to explain. I mean, I’ve had coaches during my career, people during my career, that were saying certain things to me and at the start I didn’t know how to take it. That’s why I love challenges. And that’s another challenge. People want something from you, right now, and that’s a big challenge for me.

“It should be that way. You always want to be challenged to play your best game.

“I think there’s a lot of ways to take, let’s say, criticism. But I take it as a good criticism. He’s been around the league. He understands the game. He knows everything you need to know.

“So having criticism from him is a good criticism because he wants to make me better.â€
____

“I’m such a young guy,†said Baertschi 48 hours later, “and it was a dream to come up to the NHL. When I was playing two years at home I was a superstar over there. Always playing first line and everything was great. And then I came over here and it started to get a little tougher in Portland and I had to fight for a spot. Then a few years later, I’m in the NHL. It’s a dream coming true. Also with that dream there’s a lot of things I have to do and a lot of things I’ve got to be better at than other people.

“I’m not going to give up. I’m going to keep going,

“One thing is for sure: I’m really looking forward to playing (Thursday).â

Calgary Herald

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As much grief as I give my buddies from Ottawa about how quicksilver the mood can be on the Sens board about any given player, this thread is prime example that its not just them on HF. Mob mentality rules, and over reaction is the norm.

jordyr77

Dec 14, 2012
I'm just starting a conversation , I don't know why everyone thinks I'm just trying to be negative lol. Face of the future/face of the franchise is basically the same thing with this team. Regardless it's nice to see everyone still has confidence in him and are accepting expectations were too high. Excited to see how he turns out, sky's the limit and I hope he proves me wrong and really turns in a good effort this year

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good on Sven. Obviously its ridiculous to cast him aside at this point, but he did play like **** this whole preseason. I hope and think he'll respond accordingly, I do think he'll end up being a Hossa 2.0 and good on Burke for motivating him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's about the best reaction we could have expected. I hope Sven kills it this season.

Yes it is. Look Sven is a kid and he's still learning and he's always had a fantastic attitude to date. I think that's why people were getting concerned because it looked like he didn't care about the preseason. People are expecting him to be are next big player for the Flames because he has all the tools to do it. Yes people need to lower their expectations on him, but he needs to be showing the effort from now and until then. I'm glad he handled it the way he did.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Baertschi had a good game tonight. I think he responded well

I thought he was meh, weak on the puck and wasn't great on board battles (that will come as he gets bigger). I also thought Monahan was meh and if based on this game I would send him down his defensive game was very good but offensive game was lacking outside of a few brilliant moments.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I thought he was meh, weak on the puck and wasn't great on board battles (that will come as he gets bigger). I also thought Monahan was meh and if based on this game I would send him down his defensive game was very good but offensive game was lacking outside of a few brilliant moments.

It was his first NHL game. I would give him some time..

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Monahan looked right at home. Sven played very well too. In fact, both their defensive plays got us a goal.
Sven, you can see, is on a complete mission to prove he's not a one-dimensional player. Monahan (And you know this, I'm really not a huge fan of his) played exceptionally well, considering this was his first game ever playing in the NHL... Hell, he looked better than most of the guys who have played a couple hundred tonight.

I think you, along with a lot of other people on this forum, really drank the cool-aid when it came to Monahan's offensive abilities. He's never going to be a guy that blows you away. What you see now, with a bit of polish is about as high as you're going to get with him... He's not a 80-100 point center in the NHL; he'll put it together and put together some decent numbers, but his offensive game isn't going to make you believe in a second coming of Mario, Jagr or something... Just a higher IQ, decent mitts and above average offensive instinct... he'll never be a killer out there.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Sven got knocked off his feet a bit, but he also knocked the crap out of a couple of dudes on the boards. He and Monahan (who I think looked somewhat out of his depth, personally; don't know if he'll adapt by game 9 or not) also created a couple of great offensive plays later in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad