Baertschi. No longer face of the future??

Discussion in 'Calgary Flames' started by jordyr77, Sep 30, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. jordyr77

jordyr77 Registered User

I don't know if anyone watched the presser, but both Burke and Feaster have been unimpressed with Baertschi (so have I). I really loved watching him in Abby last year, and the hype has been considerable. I honestly feel he won't live up to it, just seeing the effort he has been putting in and it seems he's feeling too secure. I don't know if he'll be that elite top line scoring winger everyone has envisioned. I feel Monahan's attitude puts him in line to be a franchise player, but outside of him I feel we have lots of good players but no more potential franchise players. I hope Baertschi gets it together though. Maybe we snag Reinhart and hopefully MacDavid lol. I'm curious what people think about the odds of Calgary landing MacDavid. Think they can finish last in two years (part of me hopes so)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. BVicious

BVicious Registered User

Only on HF will people now write off last years new toy.

Blah

3. Fat Damon

Fat Damon Registered User

It's too early to write Bärtschi off. And what has Monahan done so far??? He played a good pre-season and what? Remember Mark Scheifele? Played a fantastic pre-season with the Jets in 2012 and then completely failed and was sent down.

Bärtschi proved more on the NHL Level. I just say: 13 Points in 25 games.

end of discussion.

4. GetThePuckOut

GetThePuckOut Registered User

I think he just worries about injuring himself during preseason.

5. WalkItTalkIt

WalkItTalkIt WEDABEST

I'm disappointed in Burke for saying that stuff out loud. Way to demoralize his confidence even more than what it was.

Not only that, but he apparently had a groin injury, so who knows if Baertschi was coasting it or not?

6. Deebious

Deebious Legendary

Calgary
    Feaster said that if he could have a mulligan, he wouldn't have called Sven up for that emergency stint. And I sort of agree with him tbh. Expectations sky rocketed after that and I can't help but wonder if they've hampered his development some. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll still be a good player one day, I just think we the fans need to realize that young players don't just materialize into superstars overnight.

7. TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator Registered User

I don't think it is a big deal the kid had a horrible camp and didn't seem to care on the ice. If there is one thing this management team is looking for it is effort this should spark Sven and hopefully it is all forgotten.

8. jordyr77

jordyr77 Registered User

yah not necessarily writing him off, just feel like people thought he was for sure going to be a top-end scorer in the league and for be the face of the franchise. All is possible, I just wanted to spark a debate. Do you guys think he will be elite, average first liner, or second liner?

9. TheHudlinator

I seriously question how much people saw of him if they thought he would be a top scorer in this league. He is a great prospect and projects to being a first line player but he won't be a superstar without some unreal grow in the next few years, as he projects to being a more complementary player.

10. jordyr77

jordyr77 Registered User

yah I would agree, I feel he is slightly mentally fragile, which was apparent when he was sent down. He has lots of growing up to do and can still turn into that player envisioned, but he needs to get his stuff together. Burke is not helping, especially someone, who I feel, is mentally fragile.

100% agree

11. jordyr77

jordyr77 Registered User

those numbers in Portland were top notch, followed by those impressive 5 games, I think people instantly thought of him as a PPG player. Flame fans have just been so desperate for a superstar to take the reigns so I don't really blame everyone for blowing his expectations out of proportion (I even got carried away a little myself).

12. TheHudlinator

Ever top player has unreal numbers in Portland they have been under investigation for having so much talent. He was extremely sheltered in his call up and some people need to calm down.

13. Sean Monahan

Sean Monahan JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

Cherry picking
    Sven is still 21(22?) years old and only played a season of pro hockey, ONE

If your GM and his boss both said you need you smarten up and focus on defensive responsibilities, as a young player you really have no choice but to do it. Don't think they've given up on him just yet, lighting a ire under him that's all

14. MarkGio

MarkGio Registered User

I bet Baertschi tears it up this year. I have no doubt that he's a streaky player and will be lights out when he's on his game, but invisible when he's off. Not every player is Toews

15. GetThePuckOut

GetThePuckOut Registered User

Well if they finish last then the odds are 3 to 1 against. Maybe 2 to 1 odds against finishing in last place, but since 2nd and 3rd still have an outside chance at 1st overall, I'd say it meets in the middle somewhere. So let's call it 4 to 1 odds against drafting McDavid, for about a 20% chance. Somewhere around there.

16. StreakingRed

StreakingRed ....................

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves with Baertschi. Let the kid develop before trying to make him the face of the franchise. He's a great player and will be a good one for us going forward, but the fact is that aside from a 5 game stint, he hasn't done anything yet. Give him time.

As for Burke's comments - I don't have an issue with it. The kid didn't have an impressive TC and needs to work at getting where he needs to. Nothing earth shattering there.

17. Anglesmith

Anglesmith Setting up the play?

Scientist
    I don't think anyone expected him to be a centre.

18. Deebious

Deebious Legendary

Calgary
    That's okay, we have Monahan for that :sarcasm:

19. jordyr77

jordyr77 Registered User

lol woops, that was definitely a typo haha.

20. Calculon

Calculon unholy acting talent

This shiny new toy syndrome gets old fast.

21. Noori

Noori Registered User

Student
    I think he'll get there. Probably not even this year, but eventually. He's too talented not to. I think today's comments ultimately benefit Sven. Management reinforcing that expectations are too high at the same time demanding more effort.Look at Nazem Kadri, where he was a year or two ago (conditioning issues, effort issues, etc) and where he's at now.

22. I Hate Chris Butler

I Hate Chris Butler Backlund Fan Club

Lowly Clerk
    Bart is a bum.

23. TylerSVT*

TylerSVT* Guest

Bust, lazy, bad work ethic, cant score, no compete, ugly hair, bad knees, strange teeth, swiss, sings in shower, pre-apex, every game mattress, last name cant spell, etc.

Better trade him now.

24. TylerSVT*

TylerSVT* Guest

2017 1st overall >>> Mackinnon.

25. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    Great comparison.

I also think it's "possible" Sven may need similar treatment. And what I mean by that is, just because we are rebuilding doesn't mean we need to hand Sven anything like an automatic top 6 spot like I assume he expected was his.

I agree when Cammy gets back, depending on Sven's play it may be best for him to spend a large part of the season on the Heat. His game needs work right now and he should be putting in the effort that someone like Bouma is.

I'm not hating on Sven at all. But we need to do what's best for his development so that he becomes the kind of player that he's capable of. We are doing the same with JG and Janko, maybe Sven needs a similar route?