Post-Game Talk: Backup goalie leads Leafs to shutout victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What's you point formula for ROW?

An easy NHL system would be the NBA model.

2 points for the win in regulation or OT. Just play till someone wins.

If the NHL wants to keep the stupid shootout then keep it but the winner gets 2 and the loser gets nothing.

That wouldn't promote parity and ticket sales though it would make the league seem less professional wrestling and more professional.

25 teams at or above .500 in a 30 team league is clearly a joke.

ROW is only used as a tie breaker.
2 teams with the same amount of points. It goes to the team with more regulation wins.
Other than that, win or lose is fine with me. Why do you need a point for losing in OT?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not pretty still, but needed a win

Nice game Babcock

What does this have to do with Babcock? and it wasn't an ugly win the shots were 37-31, which is pretty even, it was only the 1st period where the Leafs were outplayed, the 2nd and 3rd, the Leafs were the better team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
..but they do count in Gary's NHL so, they have a winning record. Anyway you look at it to that that many rookies and have that good of a record... impressive.

Yes. They do count.

But with 25 of 30 having one, it's about as special as saying "we have uniforms"

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
ROW is only used as a tie breaker.
2 teams with the same amount of points. It goes to the team with more regulation wins.
Other than that, win or lose is fine with me. Why do you need a point for losing in OT?

You don't.

I just wanted to understand your math.

Biggest difference would be that Ottawa and Boston would be 5 more points ahead of us than they are now meaning we'd have to win to catch.

Basically, this playoff conversation would be about the wildcard.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why do you need a point for losing in OT?

Because when they didn't give the point, all you had was teams just skating around until OT was over and taking no chances. Except near the end of the season when a team needed that extra point to make the playoffs. Giving teams the point encourages them to push for the extra one. I don't think the NHL wants a team to get no points because of a shootout loss.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because when they didn't give the point, all you had was teams just skating around until OT was over and taking no chances. Except near the end of the season when a team needed that extra point to make the playoffs. Giving teams the point encourages them to push for the extra one. I don't think the NHL wants a team to get no points because of a shootout loss.

If games didn't end in ties you couldn't skate around.

2 or nothing. That will be enough motivation.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Do many people use it to say the team is special?

I was responding to blue there who said: "Agreed, can anyone name me a coach in the history of the NHL to take 8 rookies and have a winning record 2/3rds of the way through the season? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?"

A winning record when 25 of 30 have one isn't really worth a parade IMO.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I was responding to blue there who said: "Agreed, can anyone name me a coach in the history of the NHL to take 8 rookies and have a winning record 2/3rds of the way through the season? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?"

A winning record when 25 of 30 have one isn't really worth a parade IMO.

So can you? Seems like the rookie part of that is as much of the shock as anything else, but I'd personally say competing for a playoff spot instead of winning record.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm serious. Did you watch the game?

We were dramatically outplayed in the first period by a pretty crappy Carolina team.

We still gave up 37 shots in the game (and I think almost 20 in the first period IIRC).

We need to be playing better hockey especially against bad teams like Carolina.

Yes, we won 4-0 and I'm obviously happy with the result... but we shouldn't use results oriented thinking. We're not going to get 37 save shutouts every night.

We certainly didn't win because our coach was so amazing.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I thought you were joking. The coaching, the system, the approach doesn't change from game to game - the execution by the players does. We need better goaltending every game but clearly we need more consistent play from many of the player positions management intends to improve in the coming years. We are ahead of the curve of the rebuild - no? They are trying to work with a huge number of rookies through a mid-season wall - no?

RightyYourWrongy*

Feb 19, 2017
People talking about 25 teams above .500 or with a winning record.. where?

The Leafs for example have 27 wins and 31 losses.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

adanac1234

Feb 8, 2017
4-0

I took in the game last night at the PNC arena , only about 33-40% capacity to watch. Given the price of tickets 25$ it's a tough road ahead. Maybe Quebec someday.
The leaf defence takes too long to move up the puck up generally. If Canes had scored Gardiner could have rightfully claimed 2 moe assists, I used to think he was more liability until last year when he showed promise. Now one game is too small a sample to say..
The shot counter didn't count all leaf shots Example #26 hit the post but only after deflecting of the goalies left shoulder. One play there were two shots directed really close in bang bang they didn't make either. overall a enjoyable result at a very reasonable price.. The parking was 15$ but from I 40 to rink
Was cordoned of and staff at every change of direction , same on the way out but in the dark.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's really not

I would say its not crazy for a coach to tell his starter if he gets a shutout he gets the next start. If that were a rule of the team and it was known or proposed even starters would buy in. Its a shutout come on.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
I took in the game last night at the PNC arena , only about 33-40% capacity to watch. Given the price of tickets 25$ it's a tough road ahead. Maybe Quebec someday.
The leaf defence takes too long to move up the puck up generally. If Canes had scored Gardiner could have rightfully claimed 2 moe assists, I used to think he was more liability until last year when he showed promise. Now one game is too small a sample to say..
The shot counter didn't count all leaf shots Example #26 hit the post but only after deflecting of the goalies left shoulder. One play there were two shots directed really close in bang bang they didn't make either. overall a enjoyable result at a very reasonable price.. The parking was 15$ but from I 40 to rink
Was cordoned of and staff at every change of direction , same on the way out but in the dark.

I was there as well. 40% attendance is generous, probably closer to 30%.

Observations:

-Matthews is even more impressive in person than on television. His goal was scored in the end we were sitting.
-Great job by the Leafs penalty killers.
-McElhinny, not sure where that performance came from, but I'll take it.
-Connor Brown is faster than I thought.
-Nylander didn't look as sharp as I thought he might.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
If games didn't end in ties you couldn't skate around.

2 or nothing. That will be enough motivation.

If it's 2 or nothing, then they have to play until someone really wins, not side show shootouts deciding. There is no way a shootout win should be worth as much as a real win ( regulation ) time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If it's 2 or nothing, then they have to play until someone really wins, not side show shootouts deciding. There is no way a shootout win should be worth as much as a real win ( regulation ) time.

It should just be 15-20mins of 3 on 3. If nobody can score in a 3 on 3 there are some big issues but then just do a rapid shot shootout. No clearing the ice or selection or anything, home goes first or whatever and get it done.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I would say its not crazy for a coach to tell his starter if he gets a shutout he gets the next start. If that were a rule of the team and it was known or proposed even starters would buy in. Its a shutout come on.
Without a clear starter? Absolutely. With one, no chance.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So can you? Seems like the rookie part of that is as much of the shock as anything else, but I'd personally say competing for a playoff spot instead of winning record.

Well I don't know if there is an example.

Is there a database with a filter on "rookies" we could peruse?

Nhlnumbers.com says the Leafs are the 7th youngest team in the NHL. And some of those younger teams fit within the NHL's 25 of 30 with a "winning" record.

I saw the Bruins last year had 8 rookies in a TSN article but have no idea of games played.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

You I like.

But under Bettman's system that's where the 25 of 30 come from.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014

Yea sooo many people disregard the OTL column.
Loss is a loss, regardless of a point or not

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Well that's why you indicate ROW wins.
Does winning in extra innings in baseball mean less than winning in 9?
Do they have a homerun derby to end the game?

If the Leafs are chasing Boston and Ottawa and these teams go into OT, 3 points are awarded. If the Leafs win in regulation, they get 2. It's already messed up IMO. More points are given out after regulation than during.

Whatever your reasons though, I don't agree with the state of the point system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad