Post-Game Talk: Backup goalie leads Leafs to shutout victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's you point formula for ROW?

An easy NHL system would be the NBA model.

2 points for the win in regulation or OT. Just play till someone wins.

If the NHL wants to keep the stupid shootout then keep it
but the winner gets 2 and the loser gets nothing.

That wouldn't promote parity and ticket sales though it would make the league seem less professional wrestling and more professional.

25 teams at or above .500 in a 30 team league is clearly a joke.

Disagree. If something is stupid (and I agree the shootout is stupid) then keeping it when there is no reason to do so is also stupid.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ties. The system worked just fine before and it would work just fine again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The shootout gimmick is fading .. If the NHL wants to keep it around/relevant I would only suggest they would reinstate ties after OT (1 point each) with the SO as a means of contributing to standings tie-breaker if it came to that. Not that I want the entire tie breaking based on SO's. But perhaps a combination of head to head record, goal differential, and SO win %. Whichever of the teams is better in two of those three categories wins the tie breaker.

For a casual/new fan to hockey, the SO can be fun to watch and even exciting. Giving them the feeling their team 'won' the SO - but it's contributions in the standings are no where as significant.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The shootout gimmick is fading .. If the NHL wants to keep it around/relevant I would only suggest they would reinstate ties after OT (1 point each) with the SO as a means of contributing to standings tie-breaker if it came to that. Not that I want the entire tie breaking based on SO's. But perhaps a combination of head to head record, goal differential, and SO win %. Whichever of the teams is better in two of those three categories wins the tie breaker.

For a casual/new fan to hockey, the SO can be fun to watch and even exciting. Giving them the feeling their team 'won' the SO - but it's contributions in the standings are no where as significant.

At first blush, that seems like an excellent idea. Keep the SO fun for the fans but also make it about 100 times less meaningful than it is now. I like it! :handclap:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

It should either be 2 points or no point (OT should be a sudden death and no shoot outs)

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario

You could go a step further and eliminate overtime entirely and shift to the 3-1-0 while keeping the SO as a post-tie zany tiebreaker. There isn't much of a difference between a game ending tied after 60 or 65 minutes outside the excitement for the potential of a sudden death winner.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You could go a step further and eliminate overtime entirely and shift to the 3-1-0 while keeping the SO as a post-tie zany tiebreaker. There isn't much of a difference between a game ending tied after 60 or 65 minutes outside the excitement for the potential of a sudden death winner.

I would suggest they start by extending the 5 minute OT to at least 10 minutes of 3 on 3.
I can't stand the SO. I'd rather play until there is a winner, or simply split the 2 points as a tie. Splitting the 2 points would make a lot more sense for teams chasing playoff positions. If you win you get 2. If you are chasing 2 teams and they tie, they split 2 points. They don't split 3.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I would suggest they start by extending the 5 minute OT to at least 10 minutes of 3 on 3.
I can't stand the SO. I'd rather play until there is a winner, or simply split the 2 points as a tie. Splitting the 2 points would make a lot more sense for teams chasing playoff positions. If you win you get 2. If you are chasing 2 teams and they tie, they split 2 points. They don't split 3.
This would be my ranking of point/game format fixes:

1. 3-1-0, no overtime (eliminates the shootout entirely, punishes both teams if they can't/aren't willing to win, actually rewards winning teams)
2. 3-2-1-0, 10 minutes 3-on-3 (not #1 because the shootout still exists)
3. 3-2-1-0, 5 minutes 3-on-3 (even fewer games decided in overtime)
4. the current format

I wouldn't be against seeing regular season games go the distance like the playoffs but it's not realistic. With 1000+ games played every year you'll eventually have a game go 3+ overtimes which will screw with everything from team travel to player health... not to mention it would mess with the novelty of continuous overtime just as the shootout messed with the novelty of the penalty shot (at least in my opinion).

I'll be championing the 3-1-0 until the day I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad