Post-Game Talk: Backup goalie leads Leafs to shutout victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCLeafer

Dec 21, 2016
North Carolina
Great game to be at. I wasn't feeling too confident prior to or for most of the first period. On the flip side you knew that with Carolina not cashing in on some golden opportunities that the Leafs would eventually break through.

My personal take:

Ride the hot goalie until he gives you a reason not to. We gave up way too many chances around our own net and Mc bailed us out each time.

JVR looks great as long as he is not in his own end.

Matthews is an incredible hockey player. Difficult to believe he's only 19 considering the awareness and poise he shows.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Our goalie sole that one as once again we were slow out of the gate and didn't really get going until the second. This has been a trend now since the all star break.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Too many people are blowing their wadds over McElhinney here. The guy has put up good numbers over a small sample size, but a simple glance at his career numbers and you can say quite confidently that this is not something we can bank on long term. It's nice that he stole a game for us, but he shouldnt be playing more than whats needed to make sure Andersen stays fresh

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Too many people are blowing their wadds over McElhinney here. The guy has put up good numbers over a small sample size, but a simple glance at his career numbers and you can say quite confidently that this is not something we can bank on long term. It's nice that he stole a game for us, but he shouldnt be playing more than whats needed to make sure Andersen stays fresh

It has to be Andersen, but Andersen has to deserve it.

McElhinney was the reason they won this game. Andersen hasn't delivered one of these for a while.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Usually if a team that struggles can overcome with a win like this, it bodes well for a rebound. I am adjusting to we will have a winning record from here .575 - .625 est

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It has to be Andersen, but Andersen has to deserve it.

McElhinney was the reason they won this game. Andersen hasn't delivered one of these for a while.

Goalie Controversy ?

No question Leafs backup goalie is outplaying their starting goalie.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Goalie Controversy ?

Ya, he's got a 0.938 save percentage in the 6 games he has played for us.

And a 0.924 in the 7 games he played for Columbus.

Overall, .931 in 13 games is pretty good

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Goalie Controversy ?

In a small sample size.
He did not fare to well against his old team Columbus.

Replace the body of work Andersen has turned in up until now to get a true comparison. Would we be where we are? As great as the rookies have been, the play of Andersen and the discovery of Zaistev have kept us from having lunch with Red Wings in the café cellar.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Anyone who seriously thinks Babcock should be fired, should be banned. We don't need that level of stupidity or hot takes on this board.

Play in traffic if you're that lost.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone who seriously thinks Babcock should be fired, should be banned. We don't need that level of stupidity or hot takes on this board.

Play in traffic if you're that lost.

The level of anti Leafs sentiment is unreal. Attacks on players that are having a great season etc. It's really odd.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The fire babcock stuff is weird.

Everyone can critique him for little things because I don't think any coach is perfect but look at the huge turnaround he's made with our team. He is the best coach in the NHL.

He always seems to be learning which I like as well. Not playing Smith at all on one of those late PKs was awesome. People seem to forget we had a cosh who scratched Gardiner and McArthur to play Fraser, McClaren and Colton ****ing Orr in the playoffs!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nothing surprising is all I'm saying

High risk player type, so he gets his points, but still has difficulty in his zone and tonight was no different IMO

You're also describing a play as a high risk, haily mary play where Gardiner, with full control, sees Matthews swing towards the left boards, and then bombs it up to him via a route where there was zero risk of interception.

He had one misread bounce on the boards, other than that he was terrific in the defensive zone.

I think he struggles with the heavier forecheck teams like I'm sure most dmen but it's really obvious with him. He really needs time and space to skate the puck up ice before advancing the play. He's not a 1 touch pass and the teams on offence type of player. I'm a fan so not bashing him. When he's on he's a joy to watch but he does tend to go through these phases where he fights the puck a bit.

Spot on, in my opinion. He seems to have trouble with a quick, heavy forecheck. That's the main issue for him on a general level, and is the reason why he'll always be the guy you want to manage shifts for.

Good game, huge reps to carolina broadcasters and the whole show. Best game calling I've seen this season, goal breakdowns and matthews love fest.

Hmm really? I changed feed in the first intermission because of them. So many minor homerish misrepresentations of what was going on. They dump it in and we get the puck and move it out promptly and we "manage to survive the attack", but when the exact same thing happen in their end then they are "coming out flying". Over and over, consistently throughout the period.

Can't speak for goal breakdowns as I had already switched by then. Seems every opposing feed has a Matthews love fest.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
This has to be sarcasm. You're not serious. Please, tell me you're not serious.

I'm serious. Did you watch the game?

We were dramatically outplayed in the first period by a pretty crappy Carolina team.

We still gave up 37 shots in the game (and I think almost 20 in the first period IIRC).

We need to be playing better hockey especially against bad teams like Carolina.

Yes, we won 4-0 and I'm obviously happy with the result... but we shouldn't use results oriented thinking. We're not going to get 37 save shutouts every night.

We certainly didn't win because our coach was so amazing.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Ben Smith needs to go, he is there to win defensive zone faceoffs and kill penalties but if he isn't doing that successfully than he really doesn't offer much if anything else to the team. 4th Line Looked the best on both sides of the ice when GOAT was there, but I do understand if they would like him to stay with Marlies for development purposes.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Our defensive stud Ben Smith was at 26% possession last night.

Nylander and Hyman both at ~73% (best on team)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ben Smith needs to go, he is there to win defensive zone faceoffs and kill penalties but if he isn't doing that successfully than he really doesn't offer much if anything else to the team. 4th Line Looked the best on both sides of the ice when GOAT was there, but I do understand if they would like him to stay with Marlies for development purposes.

4 more games brother, just 4 more games.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The concerning thing isn't just how different the team looks now than it did earlier in the year, it's old habits sneaking back.

Leafs were successful as they played for a full 60 minutes, drove possession, outshot their opponents, and dominated special teams.

Leafs for the last two months have taken at LEAST 10 minutes off a game. The team is flat, whether that is the first 10 or the last 10.

They have been out shot and out possessed. Winning tonight means nothing when we have experience as Leaf fans in knowing this is not sustainable play, hence our terrible record the last 15 games. They are playing Carlyle hockey of get out shot, but get breaks and score. They won't win with this.

Our PP has been garbage. Things just aren't clicking like they were.

Sky isn't falling, but it's getting there. Babcock needs to earn his paycheck and get these guys playing how they were again. As it is now, it appears the players are playing for themselves and NOT for the team/system.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm serious. Did you watch the game?

We were dramatically outplayed in the first period by a pretty crappy Carolina team.

We still gave up 37 shots in the game (and I think almost 20 in the first period IIRC).

We need to be playing better hockey especially against bad teams like Carolina.

Yes, we won 4-0 and I'm obviously happy with the result... but we shouldn't use results oriented thinking. We're not going to get 37 save shutouts every night.

We certainly didn't win because our coach was so amazing.

They did play a great third period... Pushed the pace and didn't give up many quality chances, especially early when the Canes could have come back. Didn't get hemmed in either. That's how you close out a game.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I like the straight up win or lose thing.
OT equals 3 on 3 until a team wins. 2 points or nothing.
ROW wins still exist in the event of tie and are greater than the OT win.

Easy on the standings:
Toronto
Wins Losses Points (ROW)
22 20 44 22

This is without OT. All regulation. Now add OT.

We have won 4 games in OT and 1 in the SO.
We have lost 5 games in OT and 6 in the SO.
Now I can't predict who would win if you remove the shootout and play 3 on 3 until someone wins, so I will just count the win or loss.

Wins Losses Points (ROW)
22+5 20+11 54 22

Now using that formula how would the Atlantic Division look? Still parody? Does the loser point really make that much of a difference? Do we really need it?

Atlantic

Team Wins Losses Points (ROW)
Montreal 25+6 20+8 62 25
Ottawa 24+7 20+6 62 24
Boston 24+6 23+6 60 24
Toronto 22+5 20+11 54 22
Florida 17+10 20+10 54 17
Tampa 21+5 24+8 52 21
Buffalo 19+7 24+10 52 19
Detroit 14+10 25+10 48 14

The race is just a close with the straight up win/lose ratio. The extra/loser/shootout isn't keeping a team any closer or sinking them. The standings are exactly the same only in this case, Ottawa is tied with Montreal. Instead of having 70 points, it's 62.

What's you point formula for ROW?

An easy NHL system would be the NBA model.

2 points for the win in regulation or OT. Just play till someone wins.

If the NHL wants to keep the stupid shootout then keep it but the winner gets 2 and the loser gets nothing.

That wouldn't promote parity and ticket sales though it would make the league seem less professional wrestling and more professional.

25 teams at or above .500 in a 30 team league is clearly a joke.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Backup or no Backup, the right thing to do any time, any goalie records a shutout, is to let him try to defend it, unless it comes in the 1st game of a B2B.

Andersen can get back in Thursday against a really tough opponent in the Rangers.

Not sure if it's going to go down that way, but that's what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad